shape
carat
color
clarity

nice way to ask my jeweler to show me the GIA inscription?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

garek007

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

So I bought a diamond from Union Diamond and now a jeweler has it and is making the setting. When he gives me the completed ring I want to make sure that the diamond he set is the diamond I gave him. In short, I want to view the GIA inscription when he hands me the finished ring.

What is a polite way to ask him to show me the diamond? I don''t want him to think I don''t trust him, which I guess I don''t if I need to see the inscription, but I wouldn''t trust anybody.

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
When bringing a stone in for setting, tell the jeweler that there is a laser inscription on the girdle of the stone and that when you pick it up, you want to see it. I have asked jeweler who mounted some diamonds to make sure the inscription is between the prongs because when I come in to pick it up, I want to see it thru his/her 100x lens on the microscope in his store. No problem.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have him inspect the stone when you drop it off and point out that there is a girdle inscription. Any sensible jeweler will do this anyway because it covers his ass as well as yours. Ask that he set it in a way that it will be visible when the piece is completed (not covered by a prong). When you pick it up, ask to borrow a loupe to inspect the piece. You should be doing this anyway in order to inspect the craftsmanship but look for the inscription at the same time. This too covers his ass as well as yours so I wouldn't expect any offense to be taken at all.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just tell him you think it''s cool that the diamond is inscribed and you''d love to see it up close.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So much tension results when we are different on the outside than we are on the inside.
My goal is to be the same inside and out.

Just ask him to show you the inscription.
What he thinks of you is not your problem.

There's a ton of you money at stake and even an honest mistake can happen.
You have a right to verify the stone to your satisfaction.

I'm sure he's done this a zillion times and got over it years ago.
Him showing so much of a hit of annoyance would be out of line.

garek007

Shiny_Rock
good point kenny,

and MC, that is a good way to do it as well, a friend said the same thing, ask to see the inscription as if I hadn''t seen it before.

Denver,

He didn''t look at it when I gave it to him. Should I be concerned?

Bosie, good suggestion too, I will ask him to leave it visible if possible.

ONe thing. It is going to be basket set. I''m not sure if that will cover the girdle. if it does, what do I do?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think he’s exposing himself to unnecessary risk by not inspecting stones for damage and making a record of it when you bring it in but no, I don’t think it’s anything YOU should worry about.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just a reminder to those having a diamond with a laser inscribed girdle set...
Always mention that you don''t want the inscription covered by a prong...it defeats the purpose of being able to
ID the stone. A busy diamond setter sometimes will not "look" for an inscription prior to setting. The job envelope should
be clearly marked NOT to cover the inscription. Neil, as a former "benchie" do you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results