shape
carat
color
clarity

Nice Tiffany stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newbutlearning

Rough_Rock

My fiancee and I have been engagement ring shopping and I''ve really fallen in love with a Lucida at Tiffany''s. I have read pretty much all the Tiffany''s posts I can find and know that buying from there is a bit controversial.

28.gif
That being said- I didn''t know if anyone could offer any help to the below questions.

Here''s the specs- To my eye, I think it''s a very brilliant, beautiful stone (but I worry about what everyone says about Tiffany''s lighting making anything look good and I''m really a novice). Given that it''s not a round cut and it''s the only one cut quite like that, it''s tough to know how it stacks up otherwise. Any thoughts?
Lucida in platinum- $15,500
1.31 carats, H, VVS2
6.32x 6.32x 4.31mm
Cut: Excellent
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Excellent
Depth %: 68.2
Table %: 60
Crown %: 15.3
Crown angle: 35
Pav depth %: 50
Pav angle: 41
No cutlet
Girdle: slightly thick

Couple other questions:
- When you buy from Tiff & Co, do you go get it independently appraised for insurance, or is that part of the ''Tiffany certificate''?
- Does anyone know of Tiffany''s doing deals- Ie, we offer 15k or 14.5k? Money is not the major concern, but I would feel better if they did a little deal!

Thanks!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucida...

You don''t need to get an independent appraisal for a Tiffany, because there is only Tiffany... that is, you can''t replace it with something else.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffanys stones are going to be beautiful no matter what lighting you put them in. However, you can get something similar in style for a lot less $$$ or, get something bigger for the same about of money.

Tiffany sells stones that are a little lower in clarity if you want to go up in size. You can go to VS2 and still not see any inclusions. I also heard rumor that they were going to start selling SI1''s. If you can get an eyeclean one of those that shoudl save you some $$ as well.

As far as color, you''re good with a H. If its an ideal cut stone, you can drop to an I and "usually" not see any color.

For example for price comparison

But if your going to buy tiffany, now is the time. I heard rumor its like 40% off now (That could be false though!)

These are ideal cut diamonds, you''d have to check that some are eye clean, and they will sparkle as much, if not more than the tiffany stone you saw. Here is a yummy one
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1466975.htm

And then you have enough budget to have an much sought after Leon Mege setting made...
11.gif

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1467017.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1982310.htm

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/categories.php?cat_id=6&sessionid=e9a06c9c555da6c3715b99d649e0b10c

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/categories.php?cat_id=4&sessionid=e9a06c9c555da6c3715b99d649e0b10c

You could even go slightly lower in color to J and eye clean SI''s and get something bigger!
Thats what I would do. I''d make sure its eye clean and ship this baby off to Leon for a masterpiece to be made! Just an FYI: I''ve heard rumor he is hard to work with sometimes and he ships his rings in bubblewrap, lol.

But do a search on here...many beautiful rings have come from that man!

Here is one goodie of a stone! Yummy!
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1466939.htm

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 12:58:40 AM
Author: JulieN
Lucida...

You don''t need to get an independent appraisal for a Tiffany, because there is only Tiffany... that is, you can''t replace it with something else.
Ditto.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As someone who returned a Tiffany diamond ring due to some light leakage around the table, I would recommend you purchase an Ideal Scope to use before purchasing from Tiffany.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hello! When you buy a diamond from Tiffany, they give you a letter stating the stats and what you paid for it. That's all insurance companies need and there's no need for an appraiser. I wouldn't have gone to an appraiser anyway because it would have come out lower than the markup FI paid at Tiffany! LOL.

I have never heard of Tiffany doing any deals or negotiating, but you just never know in these times. Still, I highly doubt it. They do throw in very nice gifts, though! Clock, wine glasses, frames and stuff on special holidays and etc...
19.gif
She will LOVE the Lucida! There's nothing quite like it!

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure if you all caught this, but she said it''s NOT a round, so I think the traditional lucida? This is a proprietary cut but there are some cuts "similar" and the information pertaining to RB''s may not apply

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 11:14:36 AM
Author: Sizzle
I''m not sure if you all caught this, but she said it''s NOT a round, so I think the traditional lucida? This is a proprietary cut but there are some cuts ''similar'' and the information pertaining to RB''s may not apply
Yes indeed I did.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 11:09:33 AM
Author: Bliss
Hello! When you buy a diamond from Tiffany, they give you a letter stating the stats and what you paid for it. That''s all insurance companies need and there''s no need for an appraiser. I wouldn''t have gone to an appraiser anyway because it would have come out lower than the markup FI paid at Tiffany! LOL.

I have never heard of Tiffany doing any deals or negotiating, but you just never know in these times. Still, I highly doubt it. They do throw in very nice gifts, though! Clock, wine glasses, frames and stuff on special holidays and etc...
19.gif
She will LOVE the Lucida! There''s nothing quite like it!

I agree with this. My SO just bought my e-ring from Tiffany (on Valentine''s Day of this year) and he received two letters assessing the value of the ring along with its specifications (basically the price you paid for the ring).

There is still no negotiating at Tiffany, as far as I know. We had the nicest SA who probably would have shaved off some of the price if he could, but he said he couldn''t budge, nor had he heard of any other store doing it.

My advice would be to have your SA bring in a few different Lucidas and pick with your eyes.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oops. I didn''t see that it was not a round shape. Then you''d want to purchase an Asset Scope to view it before buying.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a Lucida - 1.23ct, I, VVS2 and I absolutely adore it. I''d say pick with your eyes but make sure that they let you take it over to a window so you can see it in natural light. Best of luck with your purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results