shape
carat
color
clarity

NGC Spinel/Ruby comparison

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
I found this on this site:

http://www.preciousgemstones.com/gfsummerone.html#Burma%20Spinel

I'll have to summarize because copy-paste screws up the alignment.

SPINEL - RUBY COMPARISON CHART
(Format: Spinel vs. Ruby)

Hardness: 8 vs 9
Supply:
Burma: Ultra Rare vs. Mogok-Ultra Rare, Mong Hsu-Some Supply
Ceylon: Plentiful vs. None
Thailand: None vs. Available
Brilliance: More Fire vs. Less Fire
Rarity: 200+ Times More Rare vs. More Common
Price: 25% The Price Of Ruby vs. More Expensive

So, having learned a lot about spinels in the past months, I'd have to question the rarity statement. This is from a website specializing in gem collecting for people with serious money to burn on their portfolios. For example, they have two spinels listed, both over 3 carats. One is something like $6000 USD per carat (3.16ct): http://www.preciousgemstones.com/316buspfs.html. So I would imagine they know what they're talking about.

However, 200 times more rare than ruby? Sounds like a random number picked out of the air to make an emphatic point. Plus, I imagine they are really stating that spinel is 200+ times more rare than ruby, period, regardless of origin. Still, that is confusing, because there is a lot of spinel out there that isn't red and isn't even comparable to ruby, so how does that distort the equation?

The answer I've been able to get out of the people on this forum is not quantifiable, it's basically: "fine Mogok ruby and fine Mogok red spinel are equally rare." Is that only true for untreated Mogok rubies? I know Mogok has a higher proportion of "natural beauties" but I think 70% at least of their stuff is heated too. How rare is a truly truly top-color cleanish 1 ct Mogok heated ruby?

Anyway, this just gets back to my major obsession, which is determining how rare spinel actually is in the red colors and decent qualities. I've had a hell of a time locating mine (granted, my budget was fairly small) but that may simply be because I wasn't working within the right circles, or because my enquiries were all sent out with an approximate budget that was too low for what I wanted. Most of the dealers that ignored me probably thought I was crazy, and the ones that responded were fairly up front about not being able to do the impossible.

The lack of treatment, combined with the exceptionally poor marketing of red spinels (resulting in extremely low demand and almost nonexistent awareness) would suggest to me that truly fantastic red spinel, we're talking 70-75% red body color in AGL terms, or pretty much straight red (R) in GIA terms, of medium tone and VIVID saturation, and whopping red fluorescence, is pretty much an experience that even rich collectors may only encounter once or twice in a lifetime.

It would seem to me that EVEN though untreated rubies are exceedingly rare, and the absolutely top colors even in treated (and flux-healed) form aren't exactly commonplace, that despite these factors, since there is clearly a ready market for rubies among collectors and high-society types, that rubies are pursued and mined more aggressively than spinel, so perhaps the perfect red is in a sense less rare than the perfect red spinel, although it will of course fetch MUCH higher prices.

I was floored on that NGC site when it said that their 6000/ct red spinel (granted it was a 3.16, so if it were a 2 carat or less it may have been only 3000/ct) basically would be 10% of the cost of an equivalently AGL graded Mogok unheated ruby. $60,000 per carat for a 3ct+ stone? I can't imagine anyone spending nearly $200K on a stone that small. Wow.

One more thing they mentioned in that report (which granted seems to date from the late nineties). They said that spinels are even rarer now that Mogok has been all but abandoned for the ruby rush in Mong Hsu. Since this was 7 years ago, has that sort of balanced out? Seems like Mogok is alive and healthy, and Mong Hsu has had a bit of a depression since the scandals over the Chanthaburi flux-filling treatments.

Ah well, this topic is so interesting. I'm a bit bummed I wasn't in the market for a red spinel say 3 or 4 years ago, when I could probably get what I wanted with my current budget. Seems like prices are climbing steadily. I wonder if that $18,000 spinel may suddenly be worth $50,000 in ten or fifteen years!

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello Radygast,

Well that a very interesting and challenging post!
I will try to give you some answers: When I was student in Burma 4 years ago I could buy a top red spinel around 3 carats for $500 in Yangon... I was stupidly thinking at that time that it was expensive. Now I would be ready to pay $500 per carat for the same stone and the problem is that i''m now even sure that the owner would agree to sell it to me.
Thats a point... Now the problem is you cannot really say what the market will be in few years.
Now spinel is in fashin as it is one of the vary rare gemsotnes for which treatments are rare. You can so still have a 100% natural gem for a fraction of the price of a treated ruby.

About the rarity, we have to take care about something: Spinel is quite common, spinels are found in Burma, Sri lanka, Tanzania, madagascar, Vietnam,... But fine red spinels are to my knowledge only find in Mogok, Burma. I''ve heard about top spinels from Tunuduru, but I''ve not yet seen one that can equal the finest burmese stones.
Now in Mogok gavels we say that spinel is around 2 or 3 times more common than ruby . But most Mogok spinels are unatractive darkish stones. Too high in tone and most of the time not enough saturated. The best spinels in Mogok vally are found in the extreme east of the Mogok valley in Pein Pyit.
About the current mining activity in Mogok it is to my knowledge very low. On september 25th 2004 the burmese government has nearly closed all the mines probably to cut the military intelligence income. The Burmese military Intelligence was crushed few begin october but for a while all the mininf operation stayed closed and foreigners were not allowed to go to Mogok.
Now mining has began again and foreigners can again go to Mogok under strict control from the military.
I dont really know yet the scale of the mining in Mogok compared to last year. I''ve noise that most mine owners are renewing their lease and slowly the activity is coming back.
I will know more about this beginning february as I will go one week to visit Mogok sapphire mines, in order to improve AIGS laboratory habilities regarding to origin determination for sapphires.

But one thing is sure, mining is low now in Mogok as most alluvial areas are already mined. now people have to dig the hard rocks in order to get the stones. The cost of mining is much higher and so the production is low and to my understanding is not likely to rise much.

Except if a new mining deposit is found, or if a treatment is discovered to lower the tone of the dark stones, top red spinels will still be very rare gems. I believe that top red spinels and top red rubies are globally as rare in Mogok, but as the demand for rubies is much higher they are less easy to get.

Hoping to have helped you,

All the best,

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
Wow, very interesting and informative post Mogok. Thanks.

Just to address your final statement. You say that globally, top Mogok ruby and top Mogok spinel are just as rare as each other, but since the market demand is so much greater for ruby, ruby is less easy to get.

Well, I would counter with this question: since the market demand and profit potential for ruby is so much higher than for spinel, don''t the miners spend much more effort on extracting and cutting top ruby? Would this not then, in a sense, make top rubies slightly more frequent? I am not saying easy to find, because most likely they are dealt and traded in millionaire''s circles -- but would they not be slightly more numerous?

Or maybe we are talking about a level of rarity so severe that it doesn''t matter how much the miners try to get it -- finding one is like winning the lottery.

As for spinel, I had a feeling (or somehow knew) that it is very very common, but that gem quality, or at least "fine" spinel (red) was exceedingly scarce.

Are you serious about $500/ct for top top spinel? Wow. I should throw myself off a bridge now. I would have gladly paid $1500 for a super-top intensely vivid pure red spinel of over 2 carats. Do you have a time machine? If so, I''ll wire you the money and you can go back and pay the Mogok from 4 years ago to buy me a stone and FedEx it to me in 2005. :)

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I just reread your post and you said you could buy a 3 ct top red spinel for $500 TOTAL? OMG. I would agree that $500/ct now would still be a huge steal. Wow, even $1500/ct now for something similar would be a great deal.

Still reeling....

I have to wait for people to discover a new red gemstone with gemological properties similar to or better than spinel. That, or win the lottery.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2005 9:34:13 AM
Author: raddygast

Wow, even $1500/ct now for something similar would be a great deal.
Well... as long as you want to rely on the reputation of the seller, prices will never be great.
34.gif

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello Radigast,
Well I was speaking about business to business prices at the time I was in Burma. Now when you are looking at a spinel in America or elsewhere, you have to think that somebody has spend time and miney to buy it $500 per carat, then probably recut it and finally the gem you are looking at is around $1500, $2000, $3000 per carat.
Burmese does not have the same sensibility regarding to quality than western market like germany, switzerland, Japan or many American customers. Most western markets are very influenced by diamond business and western expertise regarding to gemstones: Cutting!
You can get a top color top clarity spinel in Burma, but will have hard time to get a very well cut stone.

Regarding to your idea dealing with Spinels, well Mogok spinels dealers are wealthy. The thing is that except in alluvial placers, spinels in Mogok are not find with rubies. It is still somewhere a mystery are the common story about ruby growing is that spinel comes first and then when the magnesium is depleted spinels forms. The facts are that I dont remember to have seen many spinels protogenetics inclusions in Mogok rubies and spinels hard rock mines are not the same as rubies primary mines.

For many years your idea that Spinels was neglected was right, but now things has changed. Spinels dealers are wealthy in Mogok, and many people as seaching for them. The last 15 years has changed a lot Mogok people perception of gems. The time were only rubies were mined is now dead: Sapphires are not anymore burried in the ground in order for them to become rubies, spinels are not rejected, now everything is collected: Crystals are expensive, spinels also,... In the 1950''s there are may be 20.000 people in Mogok. Nowadays despite the Mong shu and Namya rush, more than 500.000 people live in Mogok and many try to make a living about the gem trade...

If you want to see a little bit more on Mogok, you can have alook on some of the photos I did during my 6 journeys to what is for me a very special place. The discovery of Mogok was the reason I decided to stop being a tour guide and study about gems:

Mogok valley photo gallery

All the best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results