shape
carat
color
clarity

next to blue- F? G? H? sides

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
I see in diamond forums that supposedly people will not really see much difference in color when comparing F, G, or a well cut H diamonds so if trying to save money- go for a well cut H. Will it matter when diamond is set next to a COLORED gem (blue) because the gem stone color will bounce off the diamond?

To my eye the F looks WAY more white than the H, but maybe this is just in my mind?

JulieA

Shiny_Rock

H - comp.jpg

JulieA

Shiny_Rock

F side.jpg

JulieA

Shiny_Rock

small H.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
1 and 3 look the same to me but 2 looks really white.
Which is which?

I LOVE the lay out!!! I am in love. hehehe

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
Yes- agree. Regardless of size- F really stands out from H. I thought just in my mind or reflection in pic. Do you think the F look better, even if smaller than choice 1?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh, there isn't a big difference in color but I do like 2 even the smaller stones; for me it makes the blue pop. What is the size of the sapphire; that might help us better decide???

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
12.3 x 9.8 mm. (I WISH it was a sapphire!) It is tanzanite so will be a special occasion ring- not for everyday. I think the largest size (1) fits the best, but I agree that the F color in #2 really looks better. Searching for larger stones with better color, but lower clarity to maybe get around same $.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't like the larger stones in 1. The size of the diamond is too big. The look I like best is no 3 as far as size of diamonds next to the stone goes and I do like no. 2. Wow, what a pretty tanzy!!!

I can't wait to see this project complete.
30.gif

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
The length of the smallest stones seems to fit the best- they just are not as wide. I do think this looks good, but I am afriad they will get lost? Unfortuatley the larger stones are wider, but not necessarily longer and the side up against the tanz. needs to be long.

Others have opinions/ advice about SIZE of side stones I would love to hear! Thanks.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on a GREAT tanz!!
36.gif

I like the cut on #2 the best regardless of color unless in #3 the stones are tilted? It seems that I can actually see the cuts better. I don''t think it''s just a color thing either. As far as color goes WHITE looks great with BLUE.

So what color metal are you planning to set these lovely stones in?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The F color stones look quite a bit lighter, especially with that particular cut. They look nice and bright!

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
I am having it set in platinum by Leon Mege so it will be fabulous no matter what size stones i choose. I know they will not line up exactly like picture due to curve of band- but the middle ones look like mickey mouse ears to me (but I do love the very bright white). He wants to show me a few more before deciding so I thought i would let him influence me a bit if he gives a strong opinion either way.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Number two looks whiter but not sure if that is my monitor or not. Love the ring though! How big is that tanzanite? I cannot wait to see what Leon does!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2007 3:52:57 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Congrats on a GREAT tanz!!
36.gif

I like the cut on #2 the best regardless of color unless in #3 the stones are tilted? It seems that I can actually see the cuts better. I don''t think it''s just a color thing either. As far as color goes WHITE looks great with BLUE.

So what color metal are you planning to set these lovely stones in?
I agree. I can see significant windowing on the third pair of sidestones relative to the others. Cut makes a large difference and the cut looks best on number 2 in my opinion.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless all 6 diamonds are placed next to each other in the ame picture, I cannot claim to be able to tell which one is F, G or H based on the pictures I see in the monitor. That said, I like the proportions of the 2nd picture. Unless the stones in the 3rd picture are VERY tilted, it could be windowed, but I am guessing that it is tilted, so what I am seeing is right though the steps. And yes, if placed next to each other, I can see a difference between F, G and H in step cut stones face up. I have also set J coloured diamonds with blue sapphires because the blue made the J look whiter - remember the blue coloured diamond papers that makes the loose diamonds look more colourless?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like number 2. What a gorgeous tanzanite.

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
I see what you mean about cut being important as well. Leon agrees for price/ cut quality, etc. the middle sized stones (pic #2) are best for now- he is going to take a bit more time to see if he finds any superior options. I will post any new pics he sends. Thanx!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 9:39:28 PM
Author: JulieA
I see what you mean about cut being important as well. Leon agrees for price/ cut quality, etc. the middle sized stones (pic #2) are best for now- he is going to take a bit more time to see if he finds any superior options. I will post any new pics he sends. Thanx!
Leon Mege is making your ring?!?!!? That is going to be insanely gorgeous
30.gif
30.gif
What will the setting look like?

I can't wait to see it finished.
36.gif

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
We have not finalized the setting- but I was thinking to keep it really simple. So it will not be one of those micropave WOW Leon rings with lots of detail- just very classic and elegant 3 stone ring. This is why I am leaning towards a bit larger diamonds instead of the smallest size because it will be more of a special occasion dress up ring and there will not be any diamonds on the band or anything to compete with the main center stone and sides.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock

that is going to be a heart stopper!!!

This year I set a 2ct cushion sapphire with .52CTW traps - they were H, and they were cut differently than yours. I don''t notice the color at all.

Here''s a pic, or you can search treysar sapphire and find the thread, ther are more there.

I actually kind of envy your trap choices - really like that mirrored look, but budget wise I chose a cut that could hide inclusions (SI) because it was cheaper - ya can''t get away with anything in those step cuts, lol!
Tres18.jpg

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
Trap clarity???? I asked on rockytalk about clarity and cut nut said I really did not need to get anything better than SI1. Leon showed me stones that ranged from VS1 to SI1. Should I be wary of even SI1 in step cut traps?

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
I am posting a pic I saw that I love and thinking in my mind of copying the look...this is why i need to get biggest sides I can afford. What do y''all think?

sapph example with 1.87 sides.jpg

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
TReysar- are those brillant cut traps instead of step cut? I like those, too. I thought step cut would work best for a rectangle instead of cushion cut. Now I am questioning my choice because my tanzy is not really step cut, but some sort of mix and from pictures looks different than the emerald cut sapphire I posted above. I want sides to be similar cut to center stone. Should I stick with original plan and keep step cut? I don''t prefer half moons or that look so I thought step cut traps would work best.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW that''s some special occasion ring your going to have there! I''m sure from what all the PSers say that you''d better go with what LM suggests. They say he really knows his stuff!

Treysar -- your ring is really neat looking.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2007 1:13:58 PM
I am posting a pic I saw that I love and thinking in my mind of copying the look...this is why i need to get biggest sides I can afford. What do y''all think?
That is one super gorgeous ring. Great taste, I might add.
31.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2007 1:21:17 PM
TReysar- are those brillant cut traps instead of step cut? I like those, too. I thought step cut would work best for a rectangle instead of cushion cut. Now I am questioning my choice because my tanzy is not really step cut, but some sort of mix and from pictures looks different than the emerald cut sapphire I posted above. I want sides to be similar cut to center stone. Should I stick with original plan and keep step cut? I don''t prefer half moons or that look so I thought step cut traps would work best.
It looks like Trey''s sidestones are brilliant cuts, not step. Since yours is a mix cut, I''m thinking brilliant sidestones would be very pretty, plus you can get away with more colour and clarity, hence larger sidestones. Perhaps Iwannaprettyone will see this and lend you her expertise. Have you brought this up with Leon? What is his opinion on the step versus brilliant cut sides?

JulieA

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for info- Treysar''s ring looks great and obviously my huge sapphire example looks great too. I was reminded that my tanzy, although a great one- is not even close to similar wearability or value of those nice sapphires. Maybe I should therefore keep it down a notch with sides?

I only said "traps" when talking with Leon and when he received stone- he automatically placed step cuts with it. I like brillant cut too- but I thought it was best to go with the artists first instinct? I will mention this to him and see what he thinks. He has been great about understanding that the first 3 selections he gave me were not quite "right" in relation to size, quality, etc. Although my tanzy has top notch AAA+ vivid blue color, the cut is just a shade down from perfect so it does not have as much fire (more of a velvety look)- thus I was afraid a brillant cut side would draw my eye AWAY from the tanzy.

I don''t know how you pros do this- so many little things to consider when making a piece of fine jewelry and overwhelming number of options!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand your dilemma a little better now. If it has a velvety look, then step cuts would be better. A "busier" brilliant cut might take the spotlight away from the Tanz.

JulieA

Shiny_Rock
Ok- thanks Chrono for question because reaffrims I should stick with step cut. I understand windows, etc. and now I need to get a WELL CUT trap- regardless of size. Since Leon showed me VS1- SI1 stones- do you think I need to be concerned with clarity of a SI1 in a step cut? I mentioned to Leon that to keep price down maybe should forget the VS options and just try to find SI1 with good cut. I have good eye site and DON"T want to see some inclusion in my side trap if i look close! Treysar mentioned she picked brillant cut to hide possible inclusions. Should I stick with VS2- or just trust Leon not to pick a bad SI1. (ok- I clearly see the right answer here- go with Leon
41.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results