shape
carat
color
clarity

Next Diamond after E Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondjane

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

My husband is offering to get me jewelry of some sort for my 50th birthday. I''m trying to figure out what I''d wear on a daily basis. My E ring is 2 ct round with tapered baguettes on each side; platinum setting. Very classic and simple style. We ended up with an H colored stone with med. fluorescence (for budget reasons because I wanted a larger stone). It''s beautiful, the fluor. gives the H color a very white look; and the cut is great. My wedding ring is a simple very thin platinum band. I also wear a Cartier all stainless Tank Francaise (no gold, no diamonds).

What would compliment this? I thought of diamond studs, but I read some previous posts and some think I''m better off wearing CZ''s because no one can tell the difference.

Any ideas or suggestions out there?

Thanks.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, if I were you, I'd go with a pendant or earrings. I'm not a CZ wearer and can't imagine wearing a 2 carat solitaire and then cheap CZ earrings
1.gif
I CAN tell the difference!

But, realistically, what do you think you need or would wear often? This is what you should think about. Sounds like your a minimalist when it comes to jewelry, so something classic probably would suit you best, as in the above mentioned ideas.

Michelle

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'd go with diamond studs, personally. I have both CZ and diamond studs, and I can tell the difference.
1.gif
Or perhaps a simple line bracelet...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes actually you can tell the difference visually unless you're wearing something like a Signity Star or a superideal type cut CZ...I've seen both and I have a Signity Star and it looks really awesome--alot more like a real stone. But still kind of sparkly clear white, not like the diamonds.

I would do earrings..hands down. I love my diamond earrings, though I don't wear them on a daily basis. Or a great 1c pendant or something. Pendants that can be seen but are classy are the best IMO.

Or a bracelet if you are into the wrist thing, or possibly a necklace/earrings set for fancier wearing?

2.gif
Have fun with it!

diamondjane

Rough_Rock
Thanks Michelle and Sursum for your ideas. How many cts per each earring would you all do if I went with studs?

Or what did you mean by line bracelet?

I did see a series of very thin chained white gold necklaces worn together. Each chain had a very small bezel set diamond every few inches. A pretty look except I wear a lot of turtlenecks.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/22/2003 2:23:14 AM diamondjane wrote:

Or what did you mean by line bracelet?

----------------

Also called a Tennis bracelet. Chrissy Everette brought them back into fashion. This would be my vote. Casual enough to be worn everyday.

But, I don't have pierced ears.

Or you could design a really great pendant/slide.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you do not already wear bracelets and necklaces on dayly basis, these would require adaptation...Upgrading those earings would not look bad at all. I'd consider something close in size to 1ct per ear (relative to the size of the ring those would be great): meaning a nicely cut thing (I-J, SI, since you ring is H), perhaps about 1.5 ctw? How bad can it be?

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
F&I is right, I meant tennis bracelet. I just had a mental image of one in my head next to your Tank watch, and it looked nice.
1.gif
In white gold, of course.
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
As for studs, I favour the "less is more" approach, and would go with 75 points or less (actually more like 50 points) in each ear. If you can do a three-prong setting, they really stand out that way, without looking over the top.
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also like around .5-.75 per ear for earrings, AT THE MOST. Too big distracts people from your face and I don't think diamonds should outshine the person, so nothing too big on the ears, and I think one carat per ear is too much!

Also, what's your budget? Maybe you can swing earrings AND a pendant, both being of good size (earrings .5 each side and pendant, just under one carat, in the .90s, to cut down on cost a bit).

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a 1c each ear type girl
2.gif
right now mine are .5c each....

BTW the other type of bracelet is I think a bar bracelet; when there are lines of metal between the stones, e.g. kind of like a bar? Those are my fav, I'm not a tennis girl.
2.gif
Though my girlfriend has an amazing tiny melee type tennis bracelet with .03c stones --about 60 of them and its BEAUTIFUL. You can't even see the tiny diamonds, it looks like a pave sparkle fest!
1.gif

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
Either earrings or a bracelet would be great, but depending on the style of bracelet, you may not want to wear it every day.

I have a bracelet that I rarely wear (because it's so dressy), but my friend wears her diamond studs almost daily. So I think that stud earrings are much more "useful" - that's probably not the right word, but hopefully you understand what I mean.

If you go with stud earrings, you don't have to stick with RBs (I don't think). I think that the princess cut studs are beautiful. Is it okay to mix shapes?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/22/2003 12:35:50 PM canadiangrrl wrote:

F&I is right, I meant tennis bracelet. I just had a mental image of one in my head next to your Tank watch, and it looked nice.
1.gif
In white gold, of course.
1.gif
----------------

Actually, you are the most correct. Line bracelets were renamed/revived as Tennis bracelets when Chrissy Everette wore on on the court. Line bracelets can be set in many different ways. It just means the stones line up in a line. And, yes they go nicely paired w/ a watch. Wear mine frequently on my watch hand.
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/22/2003 3:36:53 PM Mara wrote:

I'm a 1c each ear type girl
2.gif
right now mine are .5c each....

BTW the other type of bracelet is I think a bar bracelet; when there are lines of metal between the stones, e.g. kind of like a bar?
1.gif

----------------

Mine has been called a bar bracelet; but it is a line bracelet and/or Tennis bracelet - kinda generic term. Is this the setting you are refering to ?

Edited to add: I take the blurriest photos - sorry - at least you can get the idea

bracelet.jpg

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the .5 to .75 carat studs. I have a friend with full carats, and they droop! Too heavy for her ears, and she has to wear disc backs, which she hates and show from behind when she wears an updo.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
F&I: That's the type of bracelet I want next because I think I could wear it everyday, comfortably. Do you?

Mikesgirl: Good point - I never thought about the "droop" factor before. I'd always wanted 1ct studs (per ear) but didn't put much thought into the whole "center of gravity" issue. I don't know anyone who has studs that large, so I've never been able to view them for myself.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Hi DiamondJane,

Two suggestions for you. I agree with the diamond earring pitch - I am always a bigger is better girl. I actually have 2 pairs. I wear my .65 in each ear daily and my 40th gift 1.25 in each ear for special occasions or when the mood strikes. Why get CZ's if all your other jewels are real. You will know and you won't feel the same wearing them. If someone complements you, you will feel the need to say "they're not real". If you have a 2 ct. ring - and a Cartier watch, you can definitely pull off big earrings!!! My second suggestion is a diamond wedding band to go with your engagment ring. I got this for my 10th Anniversary. Both would be fabulous with your existing collection. Good luck!!!

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
F & I,

I have 1.25 ct per ear and mine don't droop. I do wear the little plastic shields behind but noone except my husband is up that close to notice!!! I will tell you I feel very different when I wear these as opposed to my basic every day .65 ct per ear. You don't need to wear them every day!!! I am sure you all have other earrings to trade off with.

If you can afford it, go bigger. You will never regret the decision.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/22/2003 7:25:38 PM Roxy wrote:

F&I: That's the type of bracelet I want next because I think I could wear it everyday, comfortably. Do you?

--------

Yes, I wear it regularly. It's casual enough to wear every day. And, I don't even know it on.

Steph, I'm not the one w/ the e.r. I have none. I don't have pierced ears. So, have no comment. I believe it's Mikegirl who commented. She has a point. But, like anything, I would think it depends on your ear lobe, age, etc.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
My earrings are 50 points each, and I sure wish I would have gone for the 75's instead. But I tried on 1 carat each ear, and they just looked too conspicuous....however, maybe it's like the ering & shrinkage factor?
9.gif

I do have a great 4 carat line bracelet in white gold that I wear almost all the time & I just love it too. The stones are 8 points apiece, so just big enough to sparkle nicely, but not so big that I can't wear it comfortably anytime, even with jeans.
10.gif

diamondjane

Rough_Rock
Many thanks for you help! I'm now enthusiastic about starting shopping to try on earrings, bracelets, etc.

I'm thinking of going with slightly larger than .5 ct ea earrings (if that's the ultimate choice) because my .5 cz's don't show when my hair is down. My hair is very dark, thick and shoulder length.

Re the tennis bracelet is there another style that doesn't have diamonds all the way around?

I like the eternity band idea. Funny thing after my E ring was made I tried them on and with a 2 ct stone my hand just looked too heavy. Then again the band idea isn't bad to wear traveling (skiing or boating) if I leave my E ring at home.

Hmmm. So much food for thought. And to think I was on the verge of suggesting a digital camera instead (what was I thinking?!). Where would I be without this forum!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a fan of these types of bracelets where you have some metal and diamonds--I'm not a tennis girl...unless it's something like a thin pave tennis. I have something similar to this, but only one diamond per bar instead of 3, and I love it for everday use. One caution, be careful when shopping for bracelets like this--be sure the clasp is secure and will not fall off. It's easy to lose bracelets without even noticing!

This picture is a Blue Nile bracelet with 1.5ctw and is $1400. Just to give you an idea
1.gif
There are tons of other bracelets similar (or slightly different) out there if you want something with more metal and not just stones.
1.gif

On your comment about dark hair and .5c studs, I have the same issue when I wear my hair down, my studs disappear. So I tend to only wear them when my hair is up. Part of the reason why I'd like bigger ones. I used to know a girl who had similar coloring, hair etc, and she had 1ct in each ear, perfect size I thought. Noticeable but classy. So that's the ideal aspiration for me. A girlfriend of mine has some that are 2c in each ear....a little too big for my taste!
1.gif
She loves them though!

blue nile bracelet.jpg

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I love that bracelet in the bottom right-hand corner. Need to head over to BN and check it out.
1.gif

Funny that it's been mentioned about long, dark hair & diamonds not showing unless it's worn up...I have long, light hair that is never worn up (too fine to stay there long) and I wear well cut, .25 tw studs almost every day. And people notice them! So maybe hair colour is a factor...

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
hair colour isint a factor, its where u come from ... lol

i have 0.33ct earrings in each ear daily, long thick dark hair and people notice them all the time, hair down/ behind my ears or tied up. even if they dont mention anything, i can see their eyes looking towards my ears!

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thinking there's some merit to this explanation....if your hair hangs like a dark, thick curtain in front of your earrings...they'd be tough to notice.

Solution - invest in diamond hair-clips to hold back hair.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it depends more on your overall look, not just hair color. I have really thick dark hair and more of a rounded face...so my ears aren't the first thing people see--my face isn't thin and long. I have seen girls who have longer thinner faces (Estella anyone?) with very fine dark hair, and their earrings are very visible to me regardless of size. So my combo of hair color, length, ear size (I have tiny ears...Greg calls them elf ears) and face size all conspire against my diamond studs being seen!!!!

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 11/23/2003 3:52:36 AM canadiangrrl wrote:

I'm thinking there's some merit to this explanation....if your hair hangs like a dark, thick curtain in front of your earrings...they'd be tough to notice.

Solution - invest in diamond hair-clips to hold back hair.
9.gif

----------------

lol!!! or if ur a person who ties her hair up regularly, then there's no worries!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
CG--hence why I wear them pretty much only with hair UP!
1.gif

I'm growing my hair for the wedding but its driving me insane. I can't wait to cut it. Everyone compliments me on how great it looks long, but it's very heavy and takes forever to do anything with. Won't hold hair spray either, so it flattens out near my scalp! I've perfected a messy trendy bun thing from now until May to tide me over til chop,chop happens.
2.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
It's so funny the lengths we women go to in order to look halfway decent at our weddings.
1.gif
My hair's almost mid-back, and I'm growing it even longer in the hopes that I can wear it up in a simple chignon...I can smell the Aquanet already...
9.gif

Diamondjane, I'd seriously check out those bar link bracelets on BN if you haven't already, if only to get some ideas...they seem like the type of simple, understated bracelet you could easily wear almost every day.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results