shape
carat
color
clarity

Newly made ring rattles up and down.

rorodiamant

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I recently made a ring from India and I am happy I was able to create something on my own. But then I started to hear sound of the stone moving in the ring. The prongs are really well set. I visited 2 local jewelers and they said the same thing calling it the mysterious ring telling me that I shouldn't be worried about losing the stone.

Only now that I come home and show it to my husband, he looks and pokes around a bit, and shows me that the stone is moving up and down. Indeed, I can push it down and it will go down but then as if there is a spring or something it comes right back up...

Is this an issue? Should I go back to the local jeweller and show the problem and ask for repair?

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!

I recently made a ring from India and I am happy I was able to create something on my own. But then I started to hear sound of the stone moving in the ring. The prongs are really well set. I visited 2 local jewelers and they said the same thing calling it the mysterious ring telling me that I shouldn't be worried about losing the stone.

Only now that I come home and show it to my husband, he looks and pokes around a bit, and shows me that the stone is moving up and down. Indeed, I can push it down and it will go down but then as if there is a spring or something it comes right back up...

Is this an issue? Should I go back to the local jeweller and show the problem and ask for repair?

Yes, I would try to get it repaired. I've only had this experience once when I set a stone myself in a prefabricated silver casting. It drove me crazy, and it will probably begin to bother you if you don't get it fixed.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I've had 2 rings in my life do that. Most recently my diamond [which is encased on all sides mind you]. I didn't think it was even possible for a ring that had a bevel to even do that, but sure enough it did. I'm also surprised neither of those jewelers offered a quote on a repair. The only thing I can think of is that it would not have been worth their time if they were back logged. Best you get it in for a repair though. Gaps lead to a breakdown in structure. One whack in the right place and one never knows.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I had that happen, sent it back to the jeweler to have the prongs tightened a smidge. It looked OK but if I tapped the setting it would definitely rattle around just a bit.

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely get this taken care of.

And I would give your business to the jeweler who will be honest with you about what is wrong (sounds like a loose setting).

rorodiamant

Rough_Rock
Yes, I would try to get it repaired. I've only had this experience once when I set a stone myself in a prefabricated silver casting. It drove me crazy, and it will probably begin to bother you if you don't get it fixed.

Yeah it is driving me crazy. The jewellers just defined it as mysterious ring saying none of the prongs are moving but the stone is. Not sure who I can find for help.

rorodiamant

Rough_Rock
I've had 2 rings in my life do that. Most recently my diamond [which is encased on all sides mind you]. I didn't think it was even possible for a ring that had a bevel to even do that, but sure enough it did. I'm also surprised neither of those jewelers offered a quote on a repair. The only thing I can think of is that it would not have been worth their time if they were back logged. Best you get it in for a repair though. Gaps lead to a breakdown in structure. One whack in the right place and one never knows.

Yeah this is my fear too. There is a reason why a lot of people don't wear their diamond ring when travelling... I am also surprised now that I think about it that neither of them offered a repair. Maybe I need to contact the original jeweller and ask for change. I dont feel safe to send something to India though. Got moissanites lost in the past in transit!

rorodiamant

Rough_Rock
I had that happen, sent it back to the jeweler to have the prongs tightened a smidge. It looked OK but if I tapped the setting it would definitely rattle around just a bit.

Do you still wear it and is it okay?

rorodiamant

Rough_Rock
I would definitely get this taken care of.

And I would give your business to the jeweler who will be honest with you about what is wrong (sounds like a loose setting).

I guess I need to shop around more :( It is sadly difficult to find a good jeweler.

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
I guess I need to shop around more :( It is sadly difficult to find a good jeweler.

I know the feels. Broke up with my last jeweler. Found a good one but had lots of things to iron out with my most recent order. They were responsive & willing to make things right but it's still frustrating to deal with speed bumps on high ticket or emotionally significant purchases.

It's sad - sometimes jewelers become dismissive when they grow their business and build their client base. I hope that you find a good one who is honest and makes you feel comfortable.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yeah this is my fear too. There is a reason why a lot of people don't wear their diamond ring when travelling... I am also surprised now that I think about it that neither of them offered a repair. Maybe I need to contact the original jeweller and ask for change. I dont feel safe to send something to India though. Got moissanites lost in the past in transit!

I would most definitely not send it back. Find someone local.

As someone who buys all their jewelry from India whenever I visit - absolutely do not send it back via post! I find posting jewelry is sketchy and difficult and customs will give you hell.

Agreed that it’s better to find someone local or wait till you can bring it to India yourself (if you visit often). Most jewelers should be fine to help you - mine (in india though) will adjust prongs, replate/polish/clean, fix clasps, replace earring posts etc for free or very cheap.

rorodiamant

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the advice. I was looking at the quote on DHL to send it back but it's over 200 so I might just need to find someone local!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results