shape
carat
color
clarity

Newly engaged!! - please help us pick a stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Hello,

This is my first post!

My boyfriend and I got engaged last night. We agreed a long time ago that if we ever did, we would pick out the ring together.

After much thought (believe me!) we have decided to go with a cushion solitaire. I have located a couple of stones online. I was hoping to get some feedback! I have been doing my research, but most of you probably know more!

I like the more rectangular cushions... I am thinking of going E-W in the setting. I am also looking for a simple, platinum soliolitaire setting with a basket, that is not a cathedral. No pave, no sides, simple! If anyone knows of anything, it would be appreciated!
Here are the stones:

GIA Cert., $5,082.80
Carat Weight: 1.31
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Depth%: 57.2
Table %: 70
Symmetry:G
Polish: N/A
Girdle: M-STK
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.41-5.5-3.72
Cut Grade: N/A

GIA Cert. / $5,855.80
Carat Weight: 1.00
Color: D
Clarity: VS1
Depth%: 45
Table %: 58
Symmetry: G
Polish: G
Girdle: M-VTK
Culet: VL
Fluorescence: N
Measurements: 7.59x6.29x2.83
Cut Grade: N/A

GIA / $5,963.24
Shape: Cushion
Carat: 1.21
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Report: GIA
Depth: 64.5
Table: 70
Price: $5,963.24
Measurements: 7.12-5.98x3.86
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Girdle: TN

GIA / $5,602.37
Carat: 1.29
Color: E
Clarity: VVS2
Depth: 72.4
Table: 57
Price: $5,602.37
Measurements: 6.38x5.69x4.12
Polish: Very Good
Fluorescence: M
Girdle: None

GIA / $5,653.05
Carat: 1.2
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 55.8
Table: 69
Price: $5,653.05
Measurements: 7.44-6.17x3.44
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: M

Please let me know what you think! This is getting so confusing -- Thanks!

B.
40.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI, were are you finding these? You really should see pictures of fancies before comitting.

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Hi!
Thanks for the reply...
I have requested more information; I hope that includes photos!

They are from www.abazias.com and www.foreverflawless.com. Both have good return policies.

B.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your engagement and welcome to PS
35.gif

Check out www.engagementringsdirect.com Mark Turnowski is very well known on here for finding amazing cushions. I'd definitely check him out. Good luck!!!!
1.gif

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Thanks - I''ll check it out!

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Here's one in your price range with some pics and other info. Probably too square for your taste, but just thought you might be interested in seeing some pics and stuff as you're looking. GOG has a couple other cushions, but just based on the diamonds you listed, they look above the price you're looking at. Still, you might want to check out this beauty though - a 1.81 F/SI1 for just under $15k - it looks very pretty and has that nice rectangle shape you like. GOG also has a cut called a cut-cornered cushion. You may or may not be interested in that (just use their diamond search tool).

Congratulations!
36.gif

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Wow - that 1.8 is BEAUTIFUL. I should mention - we are trying to stay below $6,000!

But, wow.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Table is too big.

2. Probably way too shallow. Would have to judge in person... but that''s my guess.

3. Table is too big.

4. Too deep-- faces up small.

5. Table is too big.

Give Mark at ERD a call. Give him your budget and trust him. Kaleigh has posted the link.
2.gif

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 1:18:47 AM
Author: BDJ
Wow - that 1.8 is BEAUTIFUL. I should mention - we are trying to stay below $6,000!

But, wow.
Hi BDJ,

I know that http://www.niceice.com/ who is a very reputable vendor out here had quite a wide inventory of cushion cuts couple of months ago. Todd doesn't display online all the stones he may get access to so you should contact him and tell him what you are looking for within your budget.

Another very reputable vendor, Goodoldgold, has a very detailed cushion cut information article on their site http://www.goodoldgold.com/ and they may also bring in some stones for you to choose from if you don't find anything in their present inventory.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I third Kaleigh and Gypsy''s advice for giving Mark a call. Why? Do a search of him here (stones and work he has done) and prepare to drool all over your keyboard. Cushions are his thing. Other than that, I cannot be any help because I don''t know cushions.

shay

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Great advice! Thanks.

I am in an area of Louisiana that doesn''t have much of a diamond selection at all, much less cushions! I am only about 3 hours away from Dallas, so if anyone knows of a good place there, I would love to see some in person.

I will begin another wave of research today, starting with your advice!

Do any of the stones above look like they may be good ones? I sifted through quite a few, and I think you will be able to tell that I''m trying to squeeze a little more size in for the carat weight. But I don''t want to lose sparkle!

B.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 12:00:12 PM
Great advice! Thanks.

Do any of the stones above look like they may be good ones? I sifted through quite a few, and I think you will be able to tell that I''m trying to squeeze a little more size in for the carat weight. But I don''t want to lose sparkle!

B.
With the caveat that you have to see cushions in person... No, I''m sorry, from the numbers I wouldn''t pick any of them. Too big a table will loose you sparkle, a 40-ish depth will do the same. And too deep with defeat the purpose of maximizing spread.

Since you are doing research today (great idea BTW) I would advise you too do some searches on here regarding the specs you should aim for with cushions. However, please keep in mind that cushions are very much a stone that needs to be seen, that even the nitpickiest of us on PS would depend on a trusted vendors eyes to guide them... even pictures and so forth come in second to that.

BDJ

Rough_Rock
what about this one?
I have been searching for ideal specs on cushions, but they have been hard to find! Still looking!
Does this seem too deep?

Shape : Cushion
Carats : 1.39
Cut Grade : Very Good
Color Grade : G
Clarity Grade : SI1
Certificate No. :
Measurement : 7.5x6.04x4.14
Ratio : 1.24
Depth : 68.5
Table : 55
Girdle : M-TK
Culet : None
Polish : Very Good
Symmetry : Very Good
Certification : GIA
Fluorescence : NO

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WELCOME to PS!!!!!!!
36.gif

I''m out the door for an appointment but will read your post and hopefully provide helpful answers when I get back. Just wanted to welcome another cushion lover to PS.
9.gif

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 11:17:34 AM
Author: Stone Hunter
WELCOME to PS!!!!!!!
36.gif

I''m out the door for an appointment but will read your post and hopefully provide helpful answers when I get back. Just wanted to welcome another cushion lover to PS.
9.gif

Thanks! I looked at the thread about your new cushion... it is beautiful!

ScubaStog

Rough_Rock
My fiance bought mine on ebay, it's more rectangular (you can see it in my halo on my user pic), it's a 1.2 ct, J SI1 (will get all the specs later if you're interested) for $1700 (appraised for insurance replacement at $7500), I'm a law student, not a jeweler, but I'm extremely happy with the stone, it's super sparkly and exactly what I wanted.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 12:13:15 PM
Author: ScubaStog
My fiance bought mine on ebay, it''s more rectangular (you can see it in my halo on my user pic), it''s a 1.2 ct, J SI1 (will get all the specs later if you''re interested) for $1700 (appraised for insurance replacement at $7500), I''m a law student, not a jeweler, but I''m extremely happy with the stone, it''s super sparkly and exactly what I wanted.
How wonderful you got exactly what you wanted and a great deal on ebay! However, I tend not to recommend buying from ebay for large purchases such as engagement rings because of the many nightmare stories that pricescope members have had.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2007 9:42:57 AM

what about this one?
I have been searching for ideal specs on cushions, but they have been hard to find! Still looking!
Does this seem too deep?

Shape : Cushion
Carats : 1.39
Cut Grade : Very Good
Color Grade : G
Clarity Grade : SI1
Certificate No. :
Measurement : 7.5x6.04x4.14
Ratio : 1.24
Depth : 68.5
Table : 55
Girdle : M-TK
Culet : None
Polish : Very Good
Symmetry : Very Good
Certification : GIA
Fluorescence : NO
This one looks better. I would try to see a photo etc of it to see if it pleases you. Cushions are very very subjective. Even ones that met all my criteria didn't WOW me when I saw their photos.

After months of reading all the threads on PS and asking questions and trying on stones at B&M stores I came up with some criteria for selecting my cushion. These make it more likely that I will like the stone.

I wanted very good/very good on polish and symmetry. We looked at one that was good on Sym and my husband could see a difference!

I wanted DEPTH to be in the mid 60's and TABLE to be 10 pts below that. That gives more spread and the smaller table gives more sparkle.

I wanted the L/W ratio to be 1.20 or higher for an obvious rectangle.

I also wanted Fluor. For the fun of it, the possible color advantage and so I could always easily identify my diamond.

I paid very close attention to the mm measurements. I found several diamonds that were more weight than mine that did not have the same mm spread. Don't pay more for the weight if you won't even see it!!!

Once a cushion met my criteria I looked at it's photo. Any "dead spots" areas that don't return light look black in the photos. If I didn't like their placement or how large they were or they didn't seem symmetrical that cushion was out.

CAUTION my criteria may not get YOU a cushion that you like better. Alot depends on your taste. But I was looking for sparkle and spread and affordability.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2007 11:28:39 AM

Date: 2/12/2007 11:17:34 AM
Author: Stone Hunter
WELCOME to PS!!!!!!!
36.gif

9.gif

Thanks! I looked at the thread about your new cushion... it is beautiful!

THANKS. It really pleases me and had alot more size than the other cushions that were available at that time. I don''t know what''s out there right now but take your time searching. I used James Allen and had a very good experience. He has alot of photos on his web site which I found very helpful in my search.

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Has anyone else heard horror stories about cushions being hard to keep in a setting? My sister knows a woman who had the hardest time with her stone coming loose, and finally falling out.

Ahhh!!!

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Well, what do you guys think about this? I''m pretty sure this is the one! Please give advice!

$5,649
1.13 Cushion Cut
Color: G
Clar: VS2
Measurements: 6.78 x 5.79 x 3.8
Depth: 65.6%
Table: 54%
Girdle: Med to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: Slightly Large
Finish
Polish: EX
Symmetry: EX
Flourescence: None

bethany001gl2.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that pic ain''t the best for eval, imo. looks like it could be good to great.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks promising... are you okay with the large culet? They look like a whole in your diamond when you look down at it. Some like them, other''s do not.

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/15/2007 2:08:54 PM
Author: Gypsy
Looks promising... are you okay with the large culet? They look like a whole in your diamond when you look down at it. Some like them, other''s do not.

The man who is helping me said that the culet will allow more sparkle...

I would love to hear other opinions.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, our opinions probably won''t help you. It''s a really personal choice. Have you seem a stone with an open culet in real life? If not... does the vendor have a decent return/exchange policy?

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback - I received the diamond in the mail today. It is beautiful! I am shipping it off to Quest for the setting. I have another topic going:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/solitaire-setting-frustrations.57706/

B.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results