shape
carat
color
clarity

Newly Engaged - Loads of ?''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SpldRotten

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!
I''ve been sneaking around this site for quite some time now. I love all the friendly advice, and (of course) the pics of the e.rings and other newly acquired pieces that everyone posts! My BF recently proposed, and left the ring picking to me. While I was very happy at first, my head is now spinning with the infinite choices out there. I (personally) have settled on an oval 1.5 - 1.7 cts, D-H, VS1-SI1. However, my fiancé (I guess I can call him that now) is insisting on a Round Brilliant, because (as per his research) RB stones do not depreciate as much as pear shapes do (so that''s problem one). Then there''s the setting disagreement. He likes the simple tiffany style setting. I on the other hand really prefer the halo setting (love this one: http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=343). I''m looking for some suggestions; I really want to get something that''s not going to burn out of style by next season....

Thanx so much for your time in advance!!!!
4.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi spld,

Whose ring is this anyway?
11.gif

And forget how much they depreciate, you will most likely never get close to what you pay for it, should you ever want to sell it (whatever you get) .
2.gif

Oh, and congrats!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the ring is going to be YOURS, so you need to choose what YOU like! Your fiance needs to set the budget and let you decide. I will say that round stones never go out of style like many other shapes, and they are usually the most brilliant. The value is irrelevant because you don't normally sell your e-ring! If you think you ever want to trade up, then buy from a vendor like WhiteFlash or Good Old Gold who allow 100% of what you paid apply to the new stone (assuming it is designated as a stone that qualifies for the upgrade).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Spldrttn! Welcome to PS!
35.gif
Congratulations on your engagement!

First, as far as RB''s "depreciating" less than ovals...I''m not sure what your FI is referring to. Does he think that a stone will "hold its value" or does he view diamonds as investment pieces? Because, um...they aren''t. That very subject has been discussed here in depth before but I don''t remember the name of the thread, hopefully another PSr will help you out on that one. Stone shape is a really personal thing, obviously, and an RB is going to be more expensive than an oval of the same carat weight, clarity, cut, and color...maybe your FI has read about that before (fancy shapes vs. RB) so that is where his opinion is coming from? Need more info on the whole issue to really help you with that one. But, I have to say that if you have your heart set on an oval and find those more beautiful than RB''s than you should stick to your guns!

As far as the setting, halo''s have come in and out of vogue over many years. Currently they''re very popular and they are a beautiful yet classic style, just as the classic Tiffany style setting is. Is there a possibility you could compromise with your FI and get a Tiffany style setting for your engagment ring and a blingy wedding band similar to the halo e-ring style you posted? I think a simple solitaire looks gorgeous with a prong set eternity diamond band!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Ditto what everyone else here said. Since the ring picking is up to you, pick what you want...Not something just to please him. I''d tell him to do a bit of research regarding reselling diamonds. If he wants somethng to hold it''s value because you may upgrade, simply buy someplace with a good upgrade policy.

MyBling

Rough_Rock
I agree, what''s the point of being the "picker" if you can''t pick?

There are some styles that are trendier, and some that are more timeless/classic. Go out, try things on. I had picked some gorgeous styles that I was sure I wanted,.... until I saw them on MY hands! I still drool when I see some of them, but I wouldn''t have been happy with them for me, but boy do my eyes pop out when I see them on other people''s fingers.

On the other hand, there were also some that I never gave a second glance at in the case but when they took them out for me to try anyway, they actually had a whole new look on my hand, and there were some of those I really, really considered. Also, I loved some of the Tacori styles, but I when I finally got to try a few on, I found them to be uncomfortable.

I was thrilled I got to be the "picker" and I knew it would be the only chance I had, so I looked and looked and looked. A few months of sheer he** for my FI, but I knew it when I found it, and now, going on 5 years later, I still ADORE it and know I made the right choice for me~

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats, first of all.

If YOU are in charge, it should be what you want. Period. As long as you stay within budget, honestly, you should be able to get what you will be thriled with. And unless you are buying the Krupp diamond, no offense, an e ring is not an investment, let him buy stock or something! This is a symbol of your committment, not something with a cash out value later on.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamonds are not an investment. Period. Especially in that size and clarity range. No matter what the shape.

I DO think that the halo look will come and go. If this is a "for life" ring, I would go with something classic myself like the Tiffany, or a simple pave band. If you and your FI don''t have a problem with a future setting change, then go for the halo and if you ever get sick of it you can change it.

He needs to let you pick the ring if that was the deal. Sounds like he''s being a bit controlling to me.

SpldRotten

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much!! Yea he''s a bit of a nut when it comes to anything retaining its value in the long run (looks @ everything as an investment op). I''m dizzy on a daily basis after going through all the pages with settings. Any suggestions on what sites have a wide range of pave settings (that much I’ve decided on)? I''m also growing a bit concerned with the size of my fingers. I never thought I had fat fingers, but 5.5 seems to be quite large. Will a 1.5 ct oval look small?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 7:34:27 AM
Author: SpldRotten
Thank you all so much!! Yea he's a bit of a nut when it comes to anything retaining its value in the long run (looks @ everything as an investment op). I'm dizzy on a daily basis after going through all the pages with settings. Any suggestions on what sites have a wide range of pave settings (that much I’ve decided on)? I'm also growing a bit concerned with the size of my fingers. I never thought I had fat fingers, but 5.5 seems to be quite large. Will a 1.5 ct oval look small?
lol That's not large! The average size is 6.
2.gif
An oval that size should look very nice, and remember, diamonds look larger after they are set.

As for your setting, I'll give you the link to Leon Mege. I'm not sure who else carries a lot of Pave, but the ladies who know more should be along shortly!

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/categories.php?cat_id=14&sessionid=3b0e4b12ee671d75c30b521c049d9356

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
First things first.

1. Figure out what the total budget is.

2. Go through the entire SMTR thread at top of that page and look at ALL the rings. See which ones you love the most.

3. Go try on the ring styles in person, that you saw online and loved the most.

4. Once you know what you want, decide if you want to buy it already made up, or buy the stone and setting separately.

5. Buy ring.

6. Enjoy and live happily ever after.

Oh, and please have a talk with your FI about this being YOUR ring, not his. If he''s not listening, please invite him over to PS and ask him to post his perspective on you "choosing" your ring and the RB issue. We''ll set him straight. Dont worry!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just tried on a 1.25 oval in a thin halo setting (2mm or less) and it looked HUGE. My fingers are 6.5 so I don''t think you have anything to worry about. I think the stone alone would have been impressive on my finger if it weren''t in the halo.

SpldRotten

Rough_Rock
thanx Hudson!!
Just another ? for the pros, I''d want the stone to have lots of life (is that right? I want it to be reallly shiny and sparkly), what proportions / cut / polish should I look for?

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 11:38:14 PM
Author:SpldRotten
Hello everyone!
I''ve been sneaking around this site for quite some time now. I love all the friendly advice, and (of course) the pics of the e.rings and other newly acquired pieces that everyone posts! My BF recently proposed, and left the ring picking to me. While I was very happy at first, my head is now spinning with the infinite choices out there. I (personally) have settled on an oval 1.5 - 1.7 cts, D-H, VS1-SI1. However, my fiancé (I guess I can call him that now) is insisting on a Round Brilliant, because (as per his research) RB stones do not depreciate as much as pear shapes do (so that''s problem one). Then there''s the setting disagreement. He likes the simple tiffany style setting. I on the other hand really prefer the halo setting (love this one: http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=343). I''m looking for some suggestions; I really want to get something that''s not going to burn out of style by next season....

Thanx so much for your time in advance!!!!
4.gif
Hi! Your post is funny to me because before I looked at rings at all, my then boyfriend, now husband said "The only thing I care about is the ring be a RB and no halo." My husband loves the sparkle/fire of rounds and really wanted my ring the be the "most firey ring ever." Now before you all flame my wonderful hubby lol, for some reason guys feel strongly about rings too. However, I think that you should stick to your gut and get something you love. I love that Leon ring so you really can''t go wrong there!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your engagement! I must say I LMAO when I read your first post. Your fiance wants you to pick the ring out, as long as it is an RB in a Tiffany style setting!? At least he let you pick the size & color -- LOL.

It is easier to find an ideal cut RB than a really well cut fancy shape stone (been there, done that). However, the nice thing about ovals is that they cost less per carat than a comparable RB and they look bigger for their weight (as do marquise and pear shaped diamonds).

I am not a big fan of halos. If you want a bit more bling than a Tiffany solitaire, but still want to pacify FI a little, how about having Leon set your oval in a solitaire that has his gorgeous double prongs and a row of pave on the band.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 1:05:23 AM
Author: diamondfan
Congrats, first of all.

If YOU are in charge, it should be what you want. Period. As long as you stay within budget, honestly, you should be able to get what you will be thriled with. And unless you are buying the Krupp diamond, no offense, an e ring is not an investment, let him buy stock or something! This is a symbol of your committment, not something with a cash out value later on.
I could not agree with Diamondfan''s post more.

SpldRotten, it''s such an exciting-- albeit possibly overwhelming-- time when you have all the options in the world to consider when creating your perfect ring. If a RB main stone does not make your heart go pitter-patter, then find something that does! I considered oval cuts as well (I loved the look of them with half-moon sides), but personally found myself distracted by the bowtie effect. Have you also looked at cushion cuts? It might be a better hybrid of the oval shape you seek, and classic cut your FI craves. Also, being a fancy, they tend to be less expensive per carat than rounds, and the elongated shape makes them look more substantial than other cuts.

One thing to consider-- if you''ve been a PS lurker for a while like myself, don''t be surprised if you also find yourself a little obsessive about keeping your ring clean once you get it because it visually performs so much better.
3.gif
If there''s a chance you might join the ultrasonic cleaner brigade, shared prong settings hold up better than pave in the US.

Anyhow, if you''re looking for style suggestions to peruse, Harry Winston makes a beautiful engagement ring that has elements of both styles you''ve discussed (a bit of bling and halo, but clean lines). A PSer by the handle AngelaInJapan (I think) had the HW version given to her as an e-ring and posted quite a few photos if memory serves, and I know there have been others here who have had jewelers recreate the look with great success.

Since I know links are the best, I''ll do a quick search and come back with some links.

SpldRotten

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 3:47:10 PM
Author: Kay
Congrats on your engagement! I must say I LMAO when I read your first post. Your fiance wants you to pick the ring out, as long as it is an RB in a Tiffany style setting!? At least he let you pick the size & color -- LOL.

It is easier to find an ideal cut RB than a really well cut fancy shape stone (been there, done that). However, the nice thing about ovals is that they cost less per carat than a comparable RB and they look bigger for their weight (as do marquise and pear shaped diamonds).

I am not a big fan of halos. If you want a bit more bling than a Tiffany solitaire, but still want to pacify FI a little, how about having Leon set your oval in a solitaire that has his gorgeous double prongs and a row of pave on the band.
thanx for the advice kay! does leon have a site?

SpldRotten

Rough_Rock
fleur, thank you for the links!! i''ve looked @ a few cushions, but they looked kind of ''heavy'' to me (i don''t know if this makes sense)....

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 9:09:10 PM
Author: SpldRotten

Date: 7/25/2007 3:47:10 PM
Author: Kay
Congrats on your engagement! I must say I LMAO when I read your first post. Your fiance wants you to pick the ring out, as long as it is an RB in a Tiffany style setting!? At least he let you pick the size and color -- LOL.

thanx for the advice kay! does leon have a site?
Tee hee, yes he does. Leon Mege''s website is www.artofplatinum.com. The ring you posted a link to in your first post is one of his.

Here is a cushion set with double prongs and a row of diamonds on the band:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-my-very-own-leon-mege-cushion.30422/

Here is a thread where people have posted a ton of LM rings to drool over: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege.24698/
(check out tabsny''s oval on page 4 and tiger''s cushion on page 5)

Have fun shopping!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results