shape
carat
color
clarity

Newly cut old cuts vs old old cuts

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if this is the right forum to get objective views but we shall see!

Over the last year or so I’ve totally fallen out of love with modern round brilliants and even modern ovals and pears. The cut seems so “splintery” to me - even triple ex / ideal cut stones.

I’ve never been that keen on most OMCs as they are a bit too wonky for me in general but I just cannot get enough of old euros.

Whilst there is a special charm to true antiques / vintage stones because they have so much individual personality I also am enjoying being able to buy newly cut OECs. They are more affordable because they don’t carry the antique premium and because they are cut with modern techniques the cut pattern is lovely and symmetrical - a different feel to a true antique stone, but I still massively prefer the OEC cutting to a modern brilliant.

Are most people “purists” when it come to their old cuts and only interested in real antique gems or are some of you like me and also would buy the new old cuts?

And I don’t mean lab diamonds (I have none and wouldn’t buy one), but Earth mined stones.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I fall into the purist column. There is something about rescuing an old piece of jewelry that resonates to me. I was on the hunt for an onyx and old cut diamond bracelet. I saw that Grace had one and absolutely loved the style of it but then I saw the OECs were newly cut and it just did not appeal to me anymore.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both. I like the charm of true old cuts but also appreciate the precision of modern "old" cuts. Right now, I only have 2 AVC's but would also like to get an AVR, or other type of modern "old cut" round.

scandi_queen

Rough_Rock
I'm the same, never was a fan of the splintery look and it took me years to realize that wasn't the only way a diamond could be cut! This is partly why I got a diamond band as an engagement ring and not a solitaire; they just didn't appeal to me.
Lately I've been drooling over the antique step cuts and wish these were easier to find within my budget, especially an emerald cut.
I love that these styles are coming around again, so I don't mind "new" old cuts. They are just another flavor of diamond to (hopefully) choose from.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I do certainly feel they are two different animals. An antique diamond does indeed have a different “flavour” about it. And I do love to imagine all the things that stone has seen and the places it might have been. They have true PERSONALITY which I don’t feel at all in the 000 / ideal cut MRBs.

But I also appreciate the modern old cuts. Especially for pairs. Pairing old cuts is so challenging and they are always sisters rather than twins. Which is OK. But I do get a level of satisfaction seeing two perfectly matching old cuts because they have been precision cut to the same pattern.

I guess the way to think about it is to enjoy both as different experiences.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think being designed and cut by hand give genuine antiques more character than newly cut, antique style diamonds designed to be perfectly symmetrical with computer programs and precision cut by machine.

That said, I wouldn’t kick a Victor Canera OEC out of bed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results