shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie wonders if recut is acceptable

DLee

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I just mounted an expensive(to me, $30,000+) pink sapphire & unfortunately, the workshop chipped my stone. As can be seen from the photo, the chip is small but very near to the table. I haven't seen it yet but think that such a chip usually produces a sparkle when the stone is viewed at certain angles. The workshop proposed a recut. I understand that a recut would change the angles of the facets & am quite hesitant. I am thinking of either a full refund or at least a discount after the recut. Could the experts here give me some advice? TIA IMG-20181220-WA0005.jpg IMG-20181220-WA0004.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20181220-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20181220-WA0004.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20181220-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20181220-WA0005.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 20

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A small facet edge abrasion can usually be polished out by a professional and if just a repolish it is unlikely to affect the carat weight by more than a few “points” and not likely to affect facets greatly BUT I would be expecting both the repair being paid for and you retaining the right to get a full restitution of gem value if you aren’t happy with the result.
$30,000 is ALOT of money - what carat weight and lab certificate did you receive because $30,000 is a high price unless it’s very big sapphire.
Hoping everything goes well. I’d be furious.

DLee

Rough_Rock
Thx Bron! I have been saving up my entire life for this pink sapphire & I was very upset when they told me about the accident. This is a 5.5 cwt stone certified by GRS. Here in Asia, I had paid exorbitantly due to a lack of choice. And then this accident happened.:cry2:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
:angryfire: That’s terrible! Yeah, I really hope for a refund or a discount.

DLee

Rough_Rock
I thought I would have it in time for Xmas. Now I may not have it in time for new year:(2! Does anyone know the usual discount given after a successful repolish/ recut? I don't wish to look unreasonable since I have been with this jewelry shop for many years. But they have to pay for the weight lost!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my stones were damaged, I received neither a refund nor discount. The shop had the stone recut / tweaked by a lapidary at their expense.

DLee

Rough_Rock
I may be in a stronger moral/legal position to request a discount/refund since I had their promise of a refund should even a scratch appear after the mounting. Now that the accident had occurred, they proposed a recut instead:o.

So I reconsidered. I would accept a recut/repolish if the expected change in angles doesn't affect the brilliance too much. But I wouldn't bother if there is a high chance that brilliance would be adversely affected after the recut/repolish. Getting a refund would save me lots of hassles.

So I am wondering if any PSpers have any knowledge of the rate of success of such recuts/ repolishes. Really don't want the experience of another heartbreak come 2019sad :((

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is the workshop that damaged the stone also the outfit that sold you the sapphire? If so, they are going to have to fix the damage no matter what. I would suggest you demand your refund now. However you should also tell them you want to see the stone after it is repaired, and if you still like it, will negotiate a new price depending upon the reduced carat weight.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had this happen three times so far in setting my colored gemstones. It has always been a struggle with me when the chips or scratches are so tiny that they can only be seen by a loupe or just when the light hits the stone a certain way. I have one stone in which the vendor promises to re-cut/re-polish for me. I am hesitant to do that because I am just as likely to create a tiny facet chip when wearing the ring at any given time- so is it worth it? I had another stone re-cut/re-polished after the ring arrived with a significant chunk of it ratting loose in the setting. It turned out fine after the re-cut.

DLee

Rough_Rock
Is the workshop that damaged the stone also the outfit that sold you the sapphire? If so, they are going to have to fix the damage no matter what. I would suggest you demand your refund now. However you should also tell them you want to see the stone after it is repaired, and if you still like it, will negotiate a new price depending upon the reduced carat weight.

Yes, the outfit that sold me the stone was the one that mounted the stone & damaged it. They were willing to recut/repolish the stone but refused to give me a discount to compensate for the weight lost. I believe it is morally incorrect that after u have damaged your customer's stone, u refuse to reimburse the customer for the weight lost in the form of a discount. Finally I demanded a refund & they concurred. End of story.

I must thank everyone who responded forvtheir valusble input.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the outfit that sold me the stone was the one that mounted the stone & damaged it. They were willing to recut/repolish the stone but refused to give me a discount to compensate for the weight lost. I believe it is morally incorrect that after u have damaged your customer's stone, u refuse to reimburse the customer for the weight lost in the form of a discount. Finally I demanded a refund & they concurred. End of story.

I must thank everyone who responded forvtheir valusble input.

I’m glad that you resolved the issue. Hopefully, you will find the perfect one.

DLee

Rough_Rock
I have had this happen three times so far in setting my colored gemstones. It has always been a struggle with me when the chips or scratches are so tiny that they can only be seen by a loupe or just when the light hits the stone a certain way. I have one stone in which the vendor promises to re-cut/re-polish for me. I am hesitant to do that because I am just as likely to create a tiny facet chip when wearing the ring at any given time- so is it worth it? I had another stone re-cut/re-polished after the ring arrived with a significant chunk of it ratting loose in the setting. It turned out fine after the re-cut.

Somehow if the owner damages his/her possession by mistake or wear & tear, this is perfectly acceptable. But if the workshop damages the goods even before the owner even takes possession of it, this is unacceptable. Why should the customer fall victim to the mistakes of the workshop? But I agree that I will always be ambivalent if the damage is small/insignificant. Hate the sparkle created by the chip when light hits it at a certain angle.

DLee

Rough_Rock
I’m glad that you resolved the issue. Hopefully, you will find the perfect one.

Thx, strawrose! We do have some of the world's largest jewellery fairs held here. But I certainly need to learn A LOT about pink sapphires before I dare to spend US$30,000+ on 'the one & only one'!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For your budget I think you can go to the gem show to shop your ideal sapphire.

DLee

Rough_Rock
For your budget I think you can go to the gem show to shop your ideal sapphire.
Thx, pwsg07! I will be lurking here regularly to gain knowledge so that one day, I would be bold enough to get what I have always hoped for=)2.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results