shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie with new stone

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
This is my first post. I found PriceScope while looking for a way to reset my engagement ring. I have been married many years and an upgrade in setting was in order. Found a beautiful setting that I love and it makes my diamond look special even though it is an average non graded diamond. Prior to Pricescope I had very minimal jewelry. I’m talking a pair or 2 of earrings, my wedding and engagement ring and that’s it. Well something about PriceScope set off a switch in my head and I discovered colored stones! I started looking on the forums and started to develop my eye to what I liked. Next thing I know I’m off to a gem show just to “look”.
Well I fell in love at the gem show. It’s a Demantoid garnet-Namibian origin- which is my birthstone and it was also the birthstone of one of my sons. I fell in love with the color-different than any I had seen. It has an inclusion but I still love the stone. I’m sure photos won’t do justice to the stone. It has an unbelievable sparkle and I plan to set it in a ring-just not sure what.
I’m planning on getting a piece of jewelry made for me from each child’s birthstone. I have an aquamarine coming for my March son. I will have to look for something for projects for my June and July sons. So thank you PriceScope for all the info. Not too sure if my husband will thank you. Oh and please excuse my photography skills. I have none.
101_0016.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! Congrats on your beautiful stone.

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
Thanks.Oh and I forgot the specs.It's a 1.95 carat-7.4mm. Bill and Elke Vance were wonderful to deal with.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
it looks beautiful! I love the greens I've seen in demantoid - and I have to say, that before PS I didn't even have an interest in jewelry, so I get your fascination with it now!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a "bad photographer," it sure looks to be pretty. And if you got it from the Vance's, I'm sure it was a good stone for a good price. They are such a pleasure to deal with as well. :))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Very nice! Good cut too. You're in trouble, you know -- colored-stone addiction is incurable & progressive. Unfortunately, most insurance policies don't cover treatment, but PS has plenty of fellow addicts to egg...er...to help you. Looking forward to seeing your other stones & what you plan for settings!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Haha I fell in love with a demantoid at a gem show too! Unfortunately my love did not come home with me. Congrats on your new sparkly and welcome to this addicting world!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice score! Good size, too. May we please see a hand shot? :D I know it's hard to photograph stones, especially greens, and you can never capture the sparkle. It would still be nice to see more pics, though! ;-)

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to everyone for being so nice. To get that one decent picture I had to take plenty of bad pictures. My husband thought I was crazy taking a picture of a stone. Good thing I didn't see that beautiful Russian garnet-of course that would never be in my budget. I went to the gem show to just “look”. Not sure my husband will allow me to go “look” again. I've never been really interested in jewelry before and my husband said I’m trying to catch up on over 25 years of anniversary gifts at once. Who knew colored stones could be so addicting. I will try to get better photos later. Then I have to work on a setting. It has to be special for sentimental reasons. I guess that aquamarine that will be delivered today will have to wait.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I am the same way slc! I'm basically a tomboy, but the search for my engagement ring stone has turned me into a crazy person. I read here every day and view all the recommended vendor sites ALL the TIME. Just got a new garnet for myself, asked for a demantoid for Christmas, and am planning a family pendant, on top of that. All this from someone who frequently forgets to wear her e-ring. Crazy.

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
PriceScope should have a warning when you view the site. For Christmas I want a setting but I've also asked for books on gemstones. And I thought my upgraded setting I got a few months back for my ering was my Christmas present.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your new garnet. More pictures are welcome and we accept the excuse that you need to take a ton of them as practice photography in order to capture its true beauty. :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results