shape
carat
color
clarity

newbie with a question on my engagement ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RAH

Rough_Rock
confused.gif
Hope someone can help me...

I currently have a .41 ct round ideal cut, SI1, H color engagement ring. It was originally set in a white gold antique-like box setting. We had it remade into a similar platinum setting because the white gold was yellow-ing.

Well now it is a year later and while looking for wedding bands we realize neither of us is completely happy with this setting as it is set lower and the diamond even seems to be set lower in the box than originally. It is proving painful to find a band that even goes with it.

We also have more disposable income then when he purchased the ring. So we have two options:

1. get a new setting for my .41ct ring...possibly with side stones. where should i look online? would side-stones overpower my smallish-stone?

2. start all over. look for a bigger, similar quality diamond and go simple on the setting.

We have around a 5,000 budget for the engagment ring...

We originally spent 2,000 so I thought the extra 3,000 would mean a big upgrade but I'm finding that is not necessarily the case...

Well if you've made it this far...any suggestions would be wonderful!!

RAH

Rough_Rock
bump

justme

Shiny_Rock
Hi Rah & welcome

Here is the address of a former post of a compilation of ring setting sites that you can browse.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/compilation-of-rings-settings-insurance.2389/

As far as a setting with side stones - depending on the shape and of course size of the side stones this could be an option without overwhelming your current stone.

Upgrading current stone is always an option depending on the sentimental attachment / meaning to you and how you feel about changing both the setting and the stone from the original proposal stone & ring. And his feeling need to be considered here too.

Does the jeweler that you purchased your stone from take your stone back in upgrade cases or would you be working with the current stone and a new one for the new ring. If not then your budget may be a bit tighter as you would be looking for a larger center stone and adding another .41 in a three stone setting - or just purchasing a new engagement ring stone and using the .41 in a necklace sometime in the future.

Lots of options - I guess you need to fill in some of the holes for us.

Is your stone ideal H&A or just (not meaning JUST) ideal?

Do you have a pix of your ring?

Hope this helps

Justme

RAH

Rough_Rock
Thanks for writing justme!

I do have some pictures of the ring from before it was changed over to platinum but I can't seem to upload them.

It is "JUST" ideal not H&A.

My fiance is of course just as upset as I am about this whole situation but he is the one that suggested into looking for a whole new ring altogether.

I will check out the settings post! Thanks for that tip. I will look and see if I can find any I like that would complement my ring without overwhelming it. However, my thought since I am not overly sentimental about the ring because it's been changed so much (and plus it's the PROPOSAL I'm sentimental about
9.gif
) that if I were to put more money into it, I might as well upgrade the stone and get one bigger one instead of 3 smaller ones.

Is an ideal, good quality 1 ct. with simple setting possible for $5,000?

I do believe our jeweler would work with us to make us happy as he is our "family" jeweler and knows how many issues we originally had with the ring - so he wants to make us happy.

Well, any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to take some more pics of the current ring too. And thanks again justme for your response- hope I filled in a few more holes...

Rah

RAH

Rough_Rock
Oooh! I think I figured it out. Attached is a picture of the ring before it was changed to platinum so although the new setting was made to be somewhat similar it is different from this picture. Also, in real life the diamond is much sparklier and you don't see a big black spot like in the picture...

I will try to get some pics of the new setting tonight...

Rah

closeup ring.jpg.gif

mattinSD

Rough_Rock
"Is an ideal, good quality 1 ct. with simple setting possible for $5,000?"

Yes, you can get a good quality 1ct and setting for $5000. You won't find a IF, D, H&A's for $5k, but you should be able to find an ideally cut, eye clean, face-up white diamond, with a platinum or white gold setting within your budget.

RAH

Rough_Rock
What depth should i be looking for in an ideal round?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results