shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie wanting to hear some opinons.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hesus

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello everyone i am a novice when it comes to diamonds so i would like to hear some of your opinions.
I am looking for a GIA certified round cut diamond. Somewhere between 1.20 carats and 1.30 carats.
I would like to get a
VS1-VS2 Clarity
D,E,F Color
Excellent Cut
?? Cost
Ive been lurking on the forums and reading about HCA and the polish and the symmetry as well. How much should i be expecting to pay for something like this? Hopefully i can get an excellent polish and excellent symmetry as well.

I looked at one diamond that was Excellent for the cut, polish and symmetry by GIA standards but HCA is a 2.4
So what is ideal?

Thanks in advance, every opinion will be greatly appreciated!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do a pricescope search for your requirement, https://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx.

They comes up to me in a range from 8.4k to 11.6k.

Ideally on the HCA should be <2. But if the stone you are looking at has ASET/IS image and those looks good, if will trump the HCA score.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2009 11:23:25 PM
Author:hesus
Hello everyone i am a novice when it comes to diamonds so i would like to hear some of your opinions.
I am looking for a GIA certified round cut diamond. Somewhere between 1.20 carats and 1.30 carats.
I would like to get a
VS1-VS2 Clarity
D,E,F Color
Excellent Cut
?? Cost
Ive been lurking on the forums and reading about HCA and the polish and the symmetry as well. How much should i be expecting to pay for something like this? Hopefully i can get an excellent polish and excellent symmetry as well.

I looked at one diamond that was Excellent for the cut, polish and symmetry by GIA standards but HCA is a 2.4
So what is ideal?

Thanks in advance, every opinion will be greatly appreciated!
You can do price comparisons for online diamonds above using the search tool. Use the search by cut feature and it will bring up prices of similar. It is possible the GIA Excellent you looked at had a steeper angle or angles, these can often score over 2 - GIA Excellent can permit diamonds with these less desirable angles to get the Excellent grade, but they are not the best ones to choose in the majority of cases, but we would need ASET and or Idealscope to know for sure with these diamonds.

If you see any diamonds you like, post all the proportions then we can take a look for you and advise further.

hesus

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you, i have ordered my ideal scope. Im waiting arrival and i will take a picture of the stones i look at. Thanks guys!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2009 11:31:55 PM
Author: hesus
Thank you, i have ordered my ideal scope. Im waiting arrival and i will take a picture of the stones i look at. Thanks guys!
Keep me posted!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Hunting.

hesus

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hey guys i just got back from the jeweler, and i was looking at three stones. Im still waiting on my ideal scope but i got the specs on the three stones im looking at. Let me know what you guys think. Even without the IS and ASET which is better from the numbers? Are any of these decent deals or is there a blockbuster deal in any of these 3. Thanks again!

Diamond #1
Round Cut 1.19ct
GIA
Cut-Excellent
Polish-Excellent
Symmetry-Excellent
Measurements 6.82-6.85x4.19mm
Clarity-VS2
Color-F

Depth-61.3%
Table-57%
Crown-34.5
Pavillion-40.8

Has some clouds on the table
COST: $7200

Diamond #2

Round Cut 1.14ct
GIA
Hearts & Arrows
Cut-Excellent
Polish-Excellent
Symmetry-Excellent
Measurements 6.70-6.72x4.17mm
Clarity-VS1
Color-F

Depth-62.1%
Table-54%
Crown-35
Pavillion-41

Clarity is very clean not much on the stone.
Cost- $9500

Diamond #3

Round Cut 1.25ct
Cut-Excellent
Polish-Very Good
Symmetry-Very Good
Measurements 6.91-6.94x4.27mm
Clarity-VS1
Color-F

Depth-61.7%
Table-57%
Crown-33.5
Pavillion-41.4

Cost-$9500

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the first has nice numbers. Cheapest, too.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed. First one is the best if eye-clean.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 1:13:31 AM
Author: JulieN
the first has nice numbers. Cheapest, too.
Yep, easy choice!

hesus

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hey guys, i got 3 stones that i am currently looking at. Waiting for them to be brought in so i can get some IS images of them. The specs on all 3 do great on the HCA. I just feel the price is a little on the high end on these stones. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

1) 1.32ct. FVS1, measurements: 7.10-7.12x4.33, Cut grade:excellent, polish:excellent, symmetry:very good, fluorescence:none, depth:60.9%, table:56%, crown angle:35, crown height:15.5%, Pavilion angle:40.6, pavilion depth:42.5, Girdle: thin, faceted, culet:none. Price 10,900 This one seems like an okay price. Only a very good for symmetry though.

2) 1.22ct. FVS1, measurements: 6.86-6.91x4.23, Cut grade:very good, polish:excellent, symmetry:very good, fluorescence:none, depth:61.4%, table:55%, crown angle:36, crown height:16.5%, Pavilion angle:40.4, pavilion depth:42.5, Girdle: thin-medium, faceted, culet:none. Price 10,100 Very pricey for a very good cut grade and 1/22

3) 1.33ct. FVS2, measurements: 7.08-7.13x4.33, Cut grade:excellent, polish:excellent, symmetry:excellent, fluorescence:none, depth:60.9%, table:57%, crown angle:34, crown height:14.5%, Pavilion angle:40.8, pavilion depth:43, Girdle: thin-medium, faceted, culet:none. Price 10,250 i like this one because it is EX EX EX but vs2 should be less/

rookie1981

Rough_Rock
Of these last three that you posted hesus, I like the third one the best. The first two seem to have a little steeper crown angles than what I like, but all scored well on the HCA. Maybe someone else can speak better on the subject of clarity and price, but $650 for the same size stone that is a triple EX doesn''t seem too unreasonable to me. After all, if we learn anything from Pricescope or our online vendors its the simple fact that cut quality is the most important factor in choosing a brilliant diamond.

Also, have you thought about stepping down to a G color? If you get a great cut in a G color, I doubt you will be able to tell a difference between it and an F color in the face-up position. This will help keep you in budget, while allowing you to get the size and clarity you want.

Happy hunting and keep us posted!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First and the third are worth further evaluation hesus.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results