shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie w/ a question....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windycityaj

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I''m brand new to the forum and I have a question to pu to you guys (the experts). Does anyone know about Morganite? Anyone have any pieces made w/ theis stone? I saw it a jewelry show and can''t stop thinking about it. Very faint pink color. I know it is in the beryl family but I don''t see it getting much press....your thoughts?

Thanks and happy new year!!
9.gif

Anne

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome!

don''t know anything really about morganite. there was some discussion of it awhile back, i think. for some reason i''m under the impression that it is rather ''soft'' for a ring. have you done a search re the moh for this stone?

movie zombie

windycityaj

Rough_Rock
Thanks s o much. I will do some more reading about it. BTW...your wedding band is unbeliveable!!!! I''m assuming you had that custom made?! I love it because it is so unique!!

anne

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Morganite is a beryl, as are emeralds and aquamarine. Hardness is 7 1/2- 8, which presumably is fairly good. However, emeralds are fragile (due to inclusions, common treatments used to hide fissures, etc.) and NOT great for regular wear...one good pop and an emerald could shatter. Apparently aquas are not as fragile as often (Schumann says there''s more variation in the amount of inclusions). I''d guess that aquas are quite a bit more common in a clean condition since they''re pretty popular in jewelry, and I''ve seen a lot of very clean aquas being offered for sale.

I like the look of Morganite too. Perhaps movie zombie is thinkinig of KUNZITE, which is also found in a pretty pale pink, but softer at 6-7.
Or maybe we can get a link to a previous discussion which talks about how morganite relates to its cousins, emerald and aqua?

This is a large Kunzite (31 ct), which in real life, is quite clean (very small area of rutile needles), with no areas of extinction (blackness). I LOVE it. But I''m still looking for MY morganite.
21.gif
Doesn''t it remind you of morganite?

Ger

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Kunzite

Kunzite 2.jpg

windycityaj

Rough_Rock
WOW!!! That is an amazing stone and the very same light pink color I am looking for. Awesome, and thanks for the tip!

Anne

gemmy1

Rough_Rock
Beryl occurs in a variety of colors, emerald being the most famous of course. Blue (or blue green) is known as aquamarine, pink is known as morganite, and yellow is known as golden beryl. There is even a ruby red beryl found only in Utah that is sometimes refered to as "red emerald". Pink, blue and yellow are available in larger sizes and with fewer inclusions, making them less fragile than emerald.
Morganite is found primarily in Brazil and Madagascar. About 10 years ago a company was formed to specialize in and promote morganite. They were aggressively buying all the good material they could find on the market. I think they called themselves ''the pink emerald" company.

windycityaj

Rough_Rock
Thanks Bryan!!
21.gif

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have a 2.75ct oval Morganite, but haven''t set it yet. I did make pendents and earrings for my mom and sister, and they haven''t had any issues with the stones. The color seems to show up better if set in yellow or rose gold.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results