shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie trying to find a good emerald cut ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hanjin1

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am new here and I am trying to find a nice diamond for my girlfriend who I am going to ask to marry me. I know what she wants, an emerald cut diamond. I don''t know too much about all the numbers and letters. Kind of learning right now. But anyways my budget isn''t too big so could someone help me find a diamond? I can spend up too $4000, but would rather not spend that much. I searched on this site and saw some diamonds for around 2500, but i couldn''t tell if they would be good enough.

hanjin1

Rough_Rock
can anyone help me? i have been looking, but i can''t tell the differences too well. any help would be appreciative

amytude

Shiny_Rock
You''ll hear different things from different people on this. I just bought an EC (emerald cut) myself. If you search kevinraja''s posts, you will find a lot of information on this. Windowshopper also bought an EC. Do a search by author.

Anyway, I would rather see you buy a nice diamond and a simple solitaire setting (i think the setting would be around $400). Does your gf have a preference on the shape of the emerald? Does she want it to be rectangular? Square (AKA asscher)?

Color is really up to the individual. For me, I swear I could detect a hint of yellow in an H diamond, so I ended up with a G. Besides cut, what is most important to you/her? Does she want the biggest diamond you can afford? If you go slightly less than 1CT, I think you''d get a better value.

It''s easy to get overwhelmed, but take your time, there is some great information on this site. Good luck and have fun!

hanjin1

Rough_Rock
Well I think she would rather have a rectangular looking one, those are the ones she tried on yesterday. As for what is important to her, well I would guess big is good, but not if there are too many imperfections that you could see in it. I did learn that you need a really good diamond to make an emerald shape, since imperfections can be seen very well in those. I was just wondering if anyone could point out a few diamonds on any sights that they thought were good diamonds for the cost. As before I am tryig to get one around $4000, but hopefully less. I thought I could see what you guys thought were the best diamonds, then I could get a good estimate on what a good diamond would cost and look for me. Hopefully I didn''t confuse anyone

This is the advice I offered Jody, who is also asking about emerald cuts - I hope it helps..... like another poster said, please do take your time - look at lots of stones, if you can. Smiles, Mary
-------------------------------

Welcome!!!!

I''m not an emerald cut expert, but I did look quite a bit before selecting my ring with my wonderful fiance. I got some good advice that may prove helpful to you as well:

1) I was told to go with a G color or better on an emerald cut. That advice proved really helpful, because some lower colored stones that I''ve since seen appeared quite yellow. Emerald cuts seem to really show their true colors. J or K colored round stones that I''ve seen look incredibly pretty - the same color in emerald cuts that I''ve seen look soooooo dark.

2) I was told that a GIA certified stone is worth the money. Personally, I found that having the cert with a smaller stone was more important than a larger stone with no cert. Emerald cuts show EVERYTHING -- and a cert that isn''t based on rigid standards could really mislead someone, in my humble opinion.

3) I was told to go with a VS or higher clarity. The step cut allows the viewer to look deeply into the stone with little faceting -- think of ice, because that''s what these stones should look like.

4) If you''re going to buy online, buy from a seller who is willing to send the stone to an appraiser of your choosing. Emerald cuts in particular are so difficult to choose based soley on specs. I really feel that you have to see these beauties in person. I can''t say enough good things about Whiteflash, the vendor I used to set my stones. They were so honest with me, and their prices seem extermely fair.

I ended up with a smaller center stone than I might have had we gone with a different approach, but I''m extremely happy with my ring. The other day someone told me that my ring had more sparkle than any other diamond she''d seen. A well cut stone that is a beautiful color actually looks larger (to me, anyway). Many people, including jewelers, think my 1.17 G VS1 center stone is actually 1.5 carats.

I hope you don''t mind all this input. I just want to make sure you''re getting the best you can get for your money.

Last, but not least, congrats on your 15 years with your husband. What a wonderful way to celebrate! Enjoy!!!

Smiles, Mary

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i will search for you and get back shortly

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
0.87 H VS2 66% 61% GIA tn no vg vg no 6.02*4.97*3.28 $3114 $2709*S
dirt cheap diamonds

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
another from diamond.com

Report GIA

Report No. 6090079

Shape Emerald

Carat Weight 1.01

Measurements

Length-to-Width 6.82 x 4.94 x 3.25

Proportions

Depth 65.8

Table 60

Girdle THN-MD

Culet NON

Finish

Polish VG

Symmetry G

Clarity Grade VS2

Color Grade H

Fluorescence NON

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
another from blue nile

1.02 H SI1 62.5% 62% GIA med-sl thk no vg vg ft 6.83x5.07x3.17 $3847 $3924S

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The two by WS sound good to me. I didn''t check if there''s a better bargain around, but these would be relatively large for their weight and the smaller tables promise better brilliance - as far as I can tell. This is not feasible to guess from GIA stats precisely. But I would definitely bet a large table (around 70 and more) would look somewhat "flat".

At best, there would be at least photos of the stones, but not too many emerald cuts are stocked with as much data as those ideal rounds get.

H sounds safe as well. If this was 5 carats perhaps I would have admitted to some tint. Otherwise... maybe I should change the optician that refused to fit me with glasses. I couldn''t "grade" diamonds on someone''s hand for the life of me.

VS2 is also pretty safe... unless you need to obsess over a dust-grain sized thing visible under 10X mag only.
2.gif
SI1 is nice too (and a better buy), but finding clean SI step cuts is not an exact science at all. Fewer such stones than SI rounds would really not show any inclusion without magnification. And there''s little hope to locate one without someon looking at the stones. Guessing from clarity plots is not very useful most of the time.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
good input ana----------i tried to find a few that were in a range of prices too under his top budget

hanjin1

Rough_Rock
wow thanks a lot windowshopper, i will have to look at those and see if i can get any pictures of them. i would love to get a ring soon so i can go ahead and propose. (i would like to do this, so i can stop worryin about it) but i will look at those. again thanks a lot. if you find anymore please reply back.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
these all have very nice specs at first blush--you really need the crown height to determine if its going to be a possible winner. many EC''s tend toward flat crowns--11 and up wil give you a nice stone. of course there are other factors but if the cert looks good and the crown is right..............you will probably have a nice one

hanjin1

Rough_Rock
what percentage should i stay in for the depth and table? i tried going to the site for the first one you mentioned but i am assuming that someone bought it, since nothing shows up.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
THese AGA Cut Grade Charts can be useful, helpful charts, so that you can use to see how various stones' cuts measure up, although use them as a guideline only -- fancies are hard to judge by specs only. I would call a couple of vendors and tell them what you are looking for, and see what they offer. Use them as your virtual eyes to go through the selection process narrowing it down to one or two, and then have them sent to a local appraiser so you can see them your self and pick. (You'll typically have to pay shipping on the one you don't keep, but it can be worth it to see a couple side by side.)

Good luck!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2005 10
6.gif
6.gif
2 AM
Author: hanjin1
what percentage should i stay in for the depth and table? i tried going to the site for the first one you mentioned but i am assuming that someone bought it, since nothing shows up.
depth should be 65 or less table 66 or less..........however it VERY VERY hard to find an emerald under 65...66 is okay if all is is good. the bigger the carat the more you can afford to lose visually. in your case you cant afford to lose very much. so i would really try to stay at 66 or less..........table is less significant to me it could be 59 to 66, 67...as long as your crown is decent

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
here is what could be a great looking stone-------------from whiteflash

1.01 H VS2 65.8% 60% GIA thn-md no gd vg no 6.82*4.94*3.25 $3827 $3865*S

hanjin1

Rough_Rock
how about a diamond in the $3000 range, i forgot that i would need to buy a ring as well and place it on there. So i could spend about 4000 on the ring total. Sorry for the confusion

Dropdown3

Rough_Rock
Not sure if you are searching yourself, but try browsing:

www.whiteflash.com
www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com
www.bluenile.com
www.mondera.com

These sites have good search engines where you can put all your specs and price in and they will find diamonds within your range.

Without looking at the diamond, numbers mean nothing. However, here is a chart with the current "ideal" specs.

emeraldspecs.jpg

Good Luck,

Chuck

hanjin1

Rough_Rock
should i be looking for a diamond in the 1A 1B area?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
yes 1A is nearly impossible but 1 b or even 2a will still be quite nice.

sharon scott

Rough_Rock
Looks like window shopper found a nice emerald from WF. I''d consider an H color. It''ll free up your money to maximize your cut quality and carat size. I own an emerald and think you don''t want to small of a stone becuase the detail in this cut is so subtle.

sharon scott

Rough_Rock
Oh and 1 more thing, if your fiance likes rectangular looking stones, I''d suggest Length to Width ratios of 1:40-1:50. Also, in my opionion, more rectangular looking stones appear larger per carat size.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I like the Abazias one the best and the WF one the least, but it''s really not enough info with which to made a decision.

Dropdown3

Rough_Rock
I second the Abazias emerald has the "better" numbers of the three. No one knows what good numbers are yet, that''s why it''s really important to deal with someone you trust. Hopefully, they will look at it for you and give you positive, as well as negative, feedback. Of these three, I dislike the WF Emerald the most, but I just received my Princess from them today and am thrilled to death.
30.gif
I can vouch for there quick service and trustworthy advice. You''ll also get a Sarin report, GIA report, and independent appraisal with your purchase.

Chuck

Dropdown3

Rough_Rock

I like the 2nd one from Diamond.com. I like the E color and it''s more square with a 1.19 ratio as opposed to the 1.40 ratio of the one from BN. It''s all in what you like, however, don''t emerald cuts really show their colors? If so, go with something D, E, F, or G in my humble opinion.

The 2nd diamond also has faint fluorescence, which I think is cool and shouldn''t hurt your E color since it''s faint. It''s all in what you want. You might as well go ahead and take the plunge and pick one. The deciding factor is the visual bling test. Staring at numbers at 2 am on the computer won''t net you a good emerald.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results