shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie to colored stones. Please educate me

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all

I only started visiting Colored Stones recently and this is my first time posting here.

I am interested in some stones - the color and cut appeal to me but I have absolutely no idea how to evaluate - never purchased colored stones before. Can I ask for your opinion on below candidates? Are they considered good quality and are the price point reasonable?

Thank you!

screenshot_2015-12-09-20-24-24.png
screenshot_2015-12-09-20-27-30.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you interested in rarity, good quality for its type or just something that you like?

Star sapphire: Nice shape, good polish and yes, a 12 star is uncommon, but the legs are very short and clustered, the colour isn't popular, and when there is no strong single light source, all you will see is a black cabochon so make sure this is what you like/want.

Peridot: Large matched pair with beautiful cutting. However, peridot are softer and best as pendant and earring stones or the occasional wear ring stone. Colour isn't top but is still very beautiful Peridot, by its nature, looks a bit waxy but the good cutting should help it sparkle well for its type.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1449667944|3959314 said:
Are you interested in rarity, good quality for its type or just something that you like?

Star sapphire: Nice shape, good polish and yes, a 12 star is uncommon, but the legs are very short and clustered, the colour isn't popular, and when there is no strong single light source, all you will see is a black cabochon so make sure this is what you like/want.

Peridot: Large matched pair with beautiful cutting. However, peridot are softer and best as pendant and earring stones or the occasional wear ring stone. Colour isn't top but is still very beautiful Peridot, by its nature, looks a bit waxy but the good cutting should help it sparkle well for its type.

THANK YOU Chrono! Your input is great - helps me understand what I should look for when evaluating stones!

I like cabochon and like that it has 12 stars but you are right - the legs are short and not clearly defined like others I see on internet.

About the peridot, I like the size and cut seems symmetrical and color evenly distributed but maybe more saturated color would be nicer. Can I ask what do you like about this cut and what would be better color?

Also, what type stone should I look for if I like dark green?

Thank you again!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The saturation on the peridot is nice but I prefer something greener (with less yellow). That said, the colour is still better than most in the market. The design used has many facets, which helps a stone with low refractive index reduce the dreaded tilt window significantly and makes it flashier than usual. I don't know your budget but I like green garnet (tsavorite included) and emerald. As much as I like chrome diopside and demantoid garnet, they tend to be small, expensive and require more care due to their softness.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
My tourmaline is green, but it may not be the shade you prefer. It's not an expensive stone. It is an unusual color (to me) and blacks out under some lighting. I like it, though.

tourm01.jpg
32892.jpg
32893.jpg

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1449669700|3959324 said:
The saturation on the peridot is nice but I prefer something greener (with less yellow). That said, the colour is still better than most in the market. The design used has many facets, which helps a stone with low refractive index reduce the dreaded tilt window significantly and makes it flashier than usual. I don't know your budget but I like green garnet (tsavorite included) and emerald. As much as I like chrome diopside and demantoid garnet, they tend to be small, expensive and require more care due to their softness.

Spent past hour looking up Tsavorite. It is definitely the type of green I like. $$$!!!

I know I like sapphires, especially light pink, pinkish orange and blue green.

Must explore other type stones. No specific budget but as a newbie think better start small.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
indigoblue|1449675448|3959359 said:
My tourmaline is green, but it may not be the shade you prefer. It's not an expensive stone. It is an unusual color (to me) and blacks out under some lighting. I like it, though.

tourm01.jpg
32892.jpg
32893.jpg

Beautiful setting! This green is very nice. it's fun to wear unusual colors. I should check out tourmaline.

Thank you indigoblue for showing me a new world :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndigoBlue is correct; I'd forgotten green tourmaline and whilst green sapphire exists, their colour doesn't appeal to me.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My (kinda Dirty) green tourmaline.

_35548.jpg

_35549.jpg

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
I like the color of the Barry stone.

Ringo865, gold setting really compliments your tourmaline. There are so many possibilities and color combinations with colored stones. This is so fun!

QuantumStuff

Rough_Rock
And you really don't have to break the bank. You can get tourmaline in many, many shades of green and if you look around, probably near or below $100/carat. Of course, top stones from top cutters will cost more.

A dealer I know in Montana has a 6 carat tsavorite that blows me away. She has had it for 15 years, but man does it ever sing...under a microscope it is flawless. I have tried to buy it several times for $1000/carat and she just laughs.

Good luck

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
QuantumStuff|1449770289|3959882 said:
And you really don't have to break the bank.

That was my intention - pamper myself with a big colored rock without breaking the bank.

Only a few days into this colored stone idea, I am developing interest in green, various hue of blue and light pink. Not a good sign!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results