shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie - seeking help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone!
35.gif
I have been a longtime lurker and adorer of PS! I come here to drool and get invaluable advice most days when I should be studying/working :) This is my first time posting here, so I''ll give a short introduction and background! My fiance proposed to me a couple of months ago with a beautiful but temporary ring (silver Claddagh for any of you fellow Irish girls/boys!) So now we''re looking for the perfect ring. We have a budget of about $7500. I am in love with the classic tiffany solitaire with channel set band. So, armed with our new PS knowledge, we have been searching for the perfect diamond! We can get the setting for about $1,500. I am hoping to get a G/VS1 with the best cut possible for about $6000. FI is currently working with a dealer in New York, a relative, so I hope it will be possible to get around 1.1 - 1.2 carats with these specs. My FI isn''t disclosing too much about how the search is going, I got to pick the setting etc and now he feels the rest is up to him!

Now for my questions - it''s not that I don''t trust darling FI to get the perfect ring, but I can''t help looking myself (borderline obsessively!) and I was wondering if someone could tell me how much of a difference is there between "excellent" and "very good" when it comes to cut, polish and symmetry? I know from reading that cut should not be sacrificed. Are polish and symmetry just as important? And, do you think the diamond specs I''ve listed are reasonable to expect for that price, with excellent cut?

Thanks in advance for all your previous and (hopefully) future help! I''m so looking forward to becoming a bone fide, picture posting, active member of PS!

1.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Oops I wrote VS1, I meant SI1

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/7/2008 5:16:53 PM
Author:Porridge
Hi everyone!
35.gif
I have been a longtime lurker and adorer of PS! I come here to drool and get invaluable advice most days when I should be studying/working :) This is my first time posting here, so I'll give a short introduction and background! My fiance proposed to me a couple of months ago with a beautiful but temporary ring (silver Claddagh for any of you fellow Irish girls/boys!) So now we're looking for the perfect ring. We have a budget of about $7500. I am in love with the classic tiffany solitaire with channel set band. So, armed with our new PS knowledge, we have been searching for the perfect diamond! We can get the setting for about $1,500. I am hoping to get a G/VS1 with the best cut possible for about $6000. FI is currently working with a dealer in New York, a relative, so I hope it will be possible to get around 1.1 - 1.2 carats with these specs. My FI isn't disclosing too much about how the search is going, I got to pick the setting etc and now he feels the rest is up to him!

Now for my questions - it's not that I don't trust darling FI to get the perfect ring, but I can't help looking myself (borderline obsessively!) and I was wondering if someone could tell me how much of a difference is there between 'excellent' and 'very good' when it comes to cut, polish and symmetry? I know from reading that cut should not be sacrificed. Are polish and symmetry just as important? And, do you think the diamond specs I've listed are reasonable to expect for that price, with excellent cut?

Thanks in advance for all your previous and (hopefully) future help! I'm so looking forward to becoming a bone fide, picture posting, active member of PS!

1.gif
Welcome Porridge!

It is thought that polish and symmetry of good and above will look the same to the naked untrained eye, however depending on the type of diamond you want, some insist on having at least excellent for both as part of their diamond's finish. One thing you could do is to point your fiance in the direction of the Holloway Cut Advisor here , he can run the proportions of any diamond he is considering through it to eliminate the poorer performers.

G SI1 sounds fine, especially if your boy can check the diamonds out in person to make sure they are eyeclean.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
That''s very helpful Lorelei, thank you! I''ll send that to him, and then I guess I just sit back, wait, and look at everyone elses pretty diamonds until I can show off my own.

Your avatar is adorable...I presume that little furball underneath is a kitty?!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/8/2008 11:29:14 AM
Author: Porridge
That's very helpful Lorelei, thank you! I'll send that to him, and then I guess I just sit back, wait, and look at everyone elses pretty diamonds until I can show off my own.

Your avatar is adorable...I presume that little furball underneath is a kitty?!
LOL! Actually it is a rabbit! There was some confusion over which way round the rabbit actually was
28.gif
, so my partner in crime Miss Ellen added some eyelashes
9.gif
! Then came the pumpkin as Halloween was close!

Is that your doggie in your av? He is so cute!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Ah adorable! What a cute bundle of fur :) Yup, that''s my little doggie Kim, he''s part Jack Russel, and part god knows what else! We rescued him from the animal welfare and he''s the best pet you could ask for, he''s almost human! He''s at home minding my parents in Ireland while I finish my degree here in Holland, miss him terribly!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results