shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie questions

swingtime

Shiny_Rock
I’ve learned sooo much here! Blue Nile’s filter asks for preferred L/W ratio. Does anyone know what I should look for there? Also, I think I read that HCA tool is free. But when I try to use it, it asks for key code. TIA for your help.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve learned sooo much here! Blue Nile’s filter asks for preferred L/W ratio. Does anyone know what I should look for there? Also, I think I read that HCA tool is free. But when I try to use it, it asks for key code. TIA for your help.

Are are looking for a elongated cut? Otherwise, there is no need to play with L/W.

Forget HCA. If you are looking for a round,
TB 54-58
Depth less than 62.3
PA 40.6~40.8
CA 34~35

swingtime

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. Yes, looking for round brilliant. Great forum!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Using those proportion boundaries provided by @flyingpig will get you a nice shortlist and should all pop favorable HCA scores as well.

By default, each user is limited to 3 HCA scores per day unless you pay for a membership.

However, if you use the diamond search engine built into this site the results screen will also show you the HCA grade and when you click on it will pull up the full report for each stone. Currently there are UNLIMITED uses if you choose to access in that manner.

Do you have a budget in mind? Along with size, color & clarity? We can help you if you want.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't get three a day. :(

Perhaps @Garry H (Cut Nut) can further clarify. I thought they reset the limit every day but perhaps something changed.

As a temp fix, feel free to drop a GIA or AGS cert and call me out by placing @ in front of my name (@sledge). I will get a message and will be happy to pull one for you & paste a screen cap as I have unlimited access.

swingtime

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for your reply, Sledge. I’m still figuring out budget, and that’ll impact size. In the meantime, learning so much from this site!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for your reply, Sledge. I’m still figuring out budget, and that’ll impact size. In the meantime, learning so much from this site!

Good to hear you are learning. That is the key!

Remember, there are really 5 C's, not just 4:

1. Cost
2. Cut
3. Carat
4. Color
5. Clarity

In equation format, it looks like this:

Cost = carat + color + clarity + cut

If you further dissect, and your cost/budget is fixed then you have to force the other 4 C's up or down to make it all work. So it's important you identify which C's are most important to you in order of most to least meaningful.

Also, if you have a small budget today and are okay with upgrading the stone as your income and savings increases, then targeting vendors with easy trade up programs will help you achieve the long term goal as opposed to the short term "right now" diamond.

Food for thought is all. Let us know how we can help further. :cool2:

Deeptii20

Rough_Rock
Trade
@sledge can you please help me out with the HCA score for this Gia # 7411217756.
Considering purchasing it. TIA

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It says that the report is unavailable on the on-line GIA report check. Can you post the numbers and I'll run them through the HCA
(or post a picture of the GIA report).

Deeptii20

Rough_Rock
Trade
It says that the report is unavailable on the on-line GIA report check. Can you post the numbers and I'll run them through the HCA
(or post a picture of the GIA report).

I need help choosing between these 2 solitaires . Would really appreciate it if you could run both on HCA please. TIA

GIA 7411217756
Carat Weight0.70 carat
Color GradeH
Clarity GradeVVS1
Cut GradeExcellent

PROPORTIONS​

Depth62.0%
Table54%
Crown Angle34.0°
Crown Height15.5%
Pavilion Angle40.6°
Pavilion Depth42.5%