shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Question about a setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LovesAllDiamonds!

Rough_Rock
I am very, very new to the search for diamonds and rings. This may be a repost, but I didn''t even know what to search for.

I have seen a lot of rings I like that have small diamonds underneath the main stone around the setting, and I wanted to know if there was a specific term for that.

I have attached an image that shows the type of setting I am talking about.

I am not particularly interested in this ring as a whole, just the side shot that shows all the diamond-work underneath the stone.

Also one more question-- some of the other rings i have seen with such small diamonds around and under the main diamond end up looking kind of cheap/poorly made... is there a certain type of setting with the tiny diamonds that is better quality/looks better?

thanks!!!

sidediamonds.jpg

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I think what you are talking about is a halo. (That is where the center stone is surrounded in a "halo" by small diamonds) The diamonds that are underneath the center stone when you view the setting from the side are just variants... Some rings have no detail underneath, and some have very ornate work. What shape center stone were you thinking about?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm, for underneath the stone I would just refer to it as "pave on the gallery". Leon Mege is a person who has mastered this craft and can do it delicately if you are looking for a jeweler (artofplatinum.com).

LovesAllDiamonds!

Rough_Rock
Tuckins1,

I know I love the Halo setting, especially when the sides and underside of the ring have diamonds on it too!

Based solely on pictures I have been drawn to, I like Cushion, Asscher and Radiant cut diamonds.
Yet once my boyfriend started asking what shapes I liked, I came to realize from this website it is so much more complex than just the shape! So now I am trying to figure out more definitively (with tons of reading to do) what I really want.

kcoursolle,

is ''pave on the gallery'' a common term I could use to search for settings with?

Also, thanks for the link! I will check it out, and see if Leon Mege is a designer I like.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Hey there... I think if you searched "pave gallery" or variances of that, you should be able to find some great pics. I''m gonna look around and see if I can find a few examples of this type of setting for you...
ring1
This ring should be able to take any square/octagonal stone. (Knox will do custom work for you too)
ring2
ring3
ring4
ring5
ring6

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results