shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie: Question about a 3 stone ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bmathews

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

I just recently came upon pricescope while researching an engagement ring. I have been looking for over a month now and had a ring idea in my head when I got thrown for aloop when my grandma suprisingly gave me 2 diamonds which I am guessing to be about 1/2 carat each. From my inspection they look to be of high quality and are round diamonds. My problem is that I wanted a center princess cut stone.

With this said I am wondering if it is feasable to buy a 3 stone mounting and have 2 rounds and a princess as the center stone and I am also asking if you guys think it would look alright. Of course I can always get a 3rd round diamond and I am sure she would love it.

Last, where do you guys search for your settings? the best place I have found so far has been blue nile but there have to be more.

Thanks,

Bryan

Edit: to add, I found this mount on bluenile that I like:
http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=5923&page=2&show_all_pages=0&col=3&row=1&pos=3&set_shape=

I am just wondering if it is possible for the center diamond to be a princess and the 2 side ones to be the round diamonds I have.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Welcome!
35.gif

Check out the the e-ring folder/eye candy thread under "Show me the ring" above. There are hundreds of different rings in there. Also check out here:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/

What about using them for a great pair of earrings? Are they well matched? Approximately same in size and color?

bmathews

Rough_Rock
As fas as I can tell they are almost the eaxact same size and color. I am no expert but I have a loupe and looked at them up close, I could not see any visible flaws under 10x and they both look very white. I am no expert in diamonds though so I really don''t even know the size, I am just guessing. My grandma had them in an old ring she had reset and my grandpa is known for buying some of the most expensive jewelery sold so I would guess that he did the same when he bought the ring with these diamonds. I will try to get a good picture of them with something next to them for scale.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
b-

something like this (but w/ larger sidestones or smaller melee?)

princesrbsidespave.jpg

bmathews

Rough_Rock
EXACTLY!!!

Where is that ring from?

blueroses

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is someone having something made at James Allen on here too... if you picked a center from them... they could probably do something similar with your 2 rounds... don''t know if Bluenile would let you use your own stones. Dimend Scaasi makes some of the nicest settings I''ve seen-- BTW-- and if your bought from Isaac a center... he''d probably be okay with you using your own sides... and Whiteflash, of course.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This setting is so elegant and would look great with a princess center for example.
1B1B_large_1.jpg

bmathews

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 3:34:21 PM
Author: Gypsy
This setting is so elegant and would look great with a princess center for example.
1B1B_large_1.jpg

Ok, now I am in love, that ring is beautiful, I am going to try to see if they can use my side diamonds if I get a center from them. Is there anyone on the forum from dimend scaasi? I have been browsing 3-stones for the last 2 days now for hours upon end and I have found some that I like but that one right there I am in love with and I know she will love it.

Here is another one I liked from dimend as well:

ten09D_large_1.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
they only sell their settings with their stones, although i''m sure they''ll use your sidestones.

bmathews

Rough_Rock
Yeah I just saw thier website stated:

dimend SCAASI will NOT set diamonds purchased elsewhere. Our designs can only be purchased if set with our own diamonds.

Yet I love that setting and would willingly pay for thier center stone I just hope they would let me use the sidestones that were passed down from my grandma. I guess I will call them or chat with them to find out.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
bmathews Welcome to the forums
35.gif

here is another option - the most secure for both princess and old rounds probably, but not every one''s taste for sure.

Pr_Rnd_Bezel.jpg

bmathews

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the welcome, I do like that ring but I am more interested in the "open" rings although I relize the provide less security for the diamond.

bmathews

Rough_Rock
Here is a bad picure of the riamonds I have... I will try to get a better one tomorrow, I didnt have time to play with my settings.

Can anyone gauge how big they are from that pic?

thanks

Bryan

diamondcropped (Medium).jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
picture against a ruler would tell us more.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
If you measure their diamater w/ the metric side of a ruler (or a tape measure) you can get a better idea of their mm size which in turn will give us some idea of their carat weight.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely call Scaasi, talk to Isaac and ask him to use your sidestones. He''s a very nice man. And I''m glad you liked the setting I posted. That one is my favorite because of the ''suprise'' diamond on the side. And it''s delicate and feminine and so very classy. Keep us posted!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy''s open setting with princess and surprise princesses...

OpenSettingPrin1.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
When I first saw this thread, I was thinking: "He should forget the princess and look for a round centerstone"....but after seeing Irina''s pic, I''VE CHANGED MY MIND!

I think that using the RBs with a princess will make them stand out a wee bit more...but since they''re family heirlooms, I think that''s a good thing!
1.gif

widget

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH WOW IRINIA I LOVE IT! It looks fabulous with a princess in there... and Widget is right... the side stones really shine instead of blend... AND it makes the whole thing more original and unique IMO. So gave us a visual.
30.gif

ETA: Am I hallucinating or did you change that surprise stone to a princess as well? Looks good that way. Really good.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you take the stones to be appraised? I would before I proceed. Another option, as mentioned, is to make earrings out of them, a lovely wedding gift already in the bag!! (I am thinking ahead, you see)...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Irina,
I have to say I love it!! Looks great, and I love what you did with the surprise daimonds on a tilt. Now that''s cool!!!
30.gif
30.gif

bmathews

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 9:53:42 PM
Author: blueroses
If you measure their diamater w/ the metric side of a ruler (or a tape measure) you can get a better idea of their mm size which in turn will give us some idea of their carat weight.

The diameter of each diamond is almost exactly 5mm they are each a little over 3mm "deep" .

hopefully you can gauge the size of them from that. If they are too big then I will definatly put them in earrings and get the ring from isaac with all of thier stones.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
about a half carat each

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bmathews

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/17/2006 2:29:45 AM
Author: JulieN
http://www.adiamondisforever.com/dyoer/index.html use the design your own engagement ring feature... it's has scale features, choose your sidestone and center stone shape... might help you decide between center stone shape and/or size

Thanks, you have been a TON of help. I now need to get them appraised and hopefully I can get them set into that ring posted by Gypsy. If not I may still go with that ring and have the diamonds put in earrings.

One last question, when I call dimend and ask for isaac should I meantion pricescope is who referred me to him? or will he have no idea?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Either way. I''d mention PS... he knows us here.
9.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
YUM! A 1 ct center stone with approx. 1/2 ct sidestones will be SPARKLE!! And that mock-up Irina did is GORGEOUS!!!

bmathews

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/17/2006 1:07:36 PM
Author: blueroses
YUM! A 1 ct center stone with approx. 1/2 ct sidestones will be SPARKLE!! And that mock-up Irina did is GORGEOUS!!!

Great news!

Isaac agreed to set my grandmas stones in the ring and I will be sending the stones off to him monday. Anyone have any shipping tips on how to ship the stones?

Once he gets the stones he will contact me about matching up a center stone and what will look best in the ring, I am so excited! After much searching I am finally on my way to making a ring. I am even more excited because I get to customize it so it is a unique ring. I will keep all of you updated the whole time on the ring and I will definatly post pictures of the ring once it if finished. Isaac seems like a great guy and I am very happy to be working with him.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH WONDERFUL! Did you show him this picture Irina created for you? The princess surprise stone is fabulous.

Oh can''t wait for pics. Isaac will tell you how to ship them... my jeweler has me ship via post office. Insured to cover the cost of the jewelry, and to his own name at the addy of the store. Not to the store name. Don''t put the word jewels, jewelry, jeweler, dimend, diamond... gold... .well, you get the picture anywhere in the package. Make it look bigger than it needs to me. Boxes in boxes. That''s what I do anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results