carat
color
clarity

Newbie.Please help me w/ these 5 stones for my ring *urgent*

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Newbie.Please help me w/ these 5 stones for my ring *urg

I think you are being wise in seeing what the jeweler can come back with. It's easy to get stressy about it, so try and remember that it's a fun project.

Please ask to see real life examples of the trellis they've done and try them on (even if not the right size). Also, maybe they've done 3 stone trellis rings but not so many 5 stones? Again....be discerning because the small details matter a lot!

m_diamonds

Rough_Rock

hi after all this stress and thinking I agree. I am going to step back and re-asses. thank goodness I have not dropped any money down so I can still change my mind or see what my other options are going to be.

I see what you mean about WF and not having to worry about stones/setting, everything will be done right and beautifully.

m_diamonds

Rough_Rock

JDDN|1452382574|3973428 said:
I think you are being wise in seeing what the jeweler can come back with. It's easy to get stressy about it, so try and remember that it's a fun project.

Please ask to see real life examples of the trellis they've done and try them on (even if not the right size). Also, maybe they've done 3 stone trellis rings but not so many 5 stones? Again....be discerning because the small details matter a lot!

well he did get back to me. he said he can pull more stones, BUT they will cost more. he will let me know the difference in costs. I don't believe there should be should there? I thought the biggest factor in costs would be color/clarity/cut/polish etc? If we agreed upon ceft SI G EXEXEX stones shouldn't they all be roughly the same regardless of the parameters you guys have suggested?

depending on what I decided to do I may not need to see their real life examples of trellis rings

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

m_diamonds|1452384411|3973437 said:

well he did get back to me. he said he can pull more stones, BUT they will cost more. he will let me know the difference in costs. I don't believe there should be should there? I thought the biggest factor in costs would be color/clarity/cut/polish etc? If we agreed upon ceft SI G EXEXEX stones shouldn't they all be roughly the same regardless of the parameters you guys have suggested?

depending on what I decided to do I may not need to see their real life examples of trellis rings

I think it's just an excuse to charge you more for the "service" provided, which is searching through more stones. Like I said, you are armed enough to do this yourself, and have as good a chance as him to pick out stones that meet YOUR cut parameters. Go on BN yourself and play around with the search engine. You will see for yourself how the prices can vary with similar parameters. And sometimes you can find a "gem" in one of the lower priced ones. Just DO IT and this will be exactly what he is doing. Unless he has a supplier that is providing ASET images along with each stone, I DO NOT see how he is providing any more service than before, other than searching through more stones. Did you go to WF and search their stones? At least they provide the ASET images.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

As an example, two 0.4 carat round brilliant diamonds that are GIA 3X may very well be different prices. That being said, I don't see how he can already know now that they will cost more than the others he pulled without having said diamonds in front of him. From the sounds of it it seems like he is up charging you to vet stones. That is entirely his prerogative to do so, but it is entirely your prerogative to agree to that or not. Many vendors will do that as a simple courtesy and many of those vendors are ones we regularly recommend on PS (they are used to cut nuts). Doesn't mean you can't find a vendor who will do that outside of PS, I'm certain they exist. I suppose it's just a matter of finding where/who they are!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade

I would call Martin at USA Certed Diamonds. He is in Canada and will bend over backwards to make you happy. Might be worth a call?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, stones within the ex cut range can vary a lot. Stones with the best cut will cost more usually. So he obviously knows he chose stones that were cheaper but not as well cut. Honestly, I'd go smaller in stone size to get top cut before I'd sacrifice cut to get .40. But that's just me.

m_diamonds

Rough_Rock

LLJsmom|1452387011|3973456 said:

I think it's just an excuse to charge you more for the "service" provided, which is searching through more stones. Like I said, you are armed enough to do this yourself, and have as good a chance as him to pick out stones that meet YOUR cut parameters. Go on BN yourself and play around with the search engine. You will see for yourself how the prices can vary with similar parameters. And sometimes you can find a "gem" in one of the lower priced ones. Just DO IT and this will be exactly what he is doing. Unless he has a supplier that is providing ASET images along with each stone, I DO NOT see how he is providing any more service than before, other than searching through more stones. Did you go to WF and search their stones? At least they provide the ASET images.

I have gone through the BN site and played with the search engine. I see that they do vary a bit in price. I also have gone to WF and searched their stones. very beautiful, but with exchange and duties too vary from my available budget.

m_diamonds

Rough_Rock

therainbowradish|1452406906|3973569 said:
I would call Martin at USA Certed Diamonds. He is in Canada and will bend over backwards to make you happy. Might be worth a call?
thanks I will look USA certed diamonds up :)

m_diamonds

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1452407488|3973570 said:
No, stones within the ex cut range can vary a lot. Stones with the best cut will cost more usually. So he obviously knows he chose stones that were cheaper but not as well cut. Honestly, I'd go smaller in stone size to get top cut before I'd sacrifice cut to get .40. But that's just me.
ok good to know. they do vary in price so there was something to what he said.

m_diamonds

Rough_Rock

JDDN|1452406081|3973567 said:

As an example, two 0.4 carat round brilliant diamonds that are GIA 3X may very well be different prices. That being said, I don't see how he can already know now that they will cost more than the others he pulled without having said diamonds in front of him. From the sounds of it it seems like he is up charging you to vet stones. That is entirely his prerogative to do so, but it is entirely your prerogative to agree to that or not. Many vendors will do that as a simple courtesy and many of those vendors are ones we regularly recommend on PS (they are used to cut nuts). Doesn't mean you can't find a vendor who will do that outside of PS, I'm certain they exist. I suppose it's just a matter of finding where/who they are!

haha cut nuts :) very true regarding the prerogatives. I will wait to hear back and see what he pulls and the price difference before making any final decisions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results