shape
carat
color
clarity

newbie needs suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fongrx7

Rough_Rock
hi, every one, I am a newbie in this forum. since I might be in the market for a e-ring(don''t know when), I figure that I should have done some search and get some good suggestions first. basically, I have learned about the 4Cs, what those numbers mean on the paper, and blah, blah. and also, I have leaned that getting a certified diamond is good to start with, like from GIA.
here are some questions in mind:

1)wonder if it is safe to buy from online store. some threads say that some online stores they don''t actually have the stones. they will get it from some where else, when you place order.
2)if buy online, could they give you another diamond, instead the one you see online. like, how do you know that is the diamond shows on the report?
3)could the certification be fake? like it is just a very good color copy?

yah, you can always send the diamond to check. but by the time you get the results back, the online store might be gone already. you know, it is so easy to open an online store today.

sounds like stupid questions. but need to know.

thanks
twirl.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
If you want the cheapest deal, you may well end up buying a stone off a database that many many vendors have access to. This saves them the cost of investing in the stone for their own stock. I'll say that most internet vendors work this way. There are expections of course, some vendors have both an internet presence and an actual store. A few are net-only but still stock their own stones.

It is always possible that you could get a different diamond than you thought you bought. This seems very unlikely to me, but if you are worried about this, an independent third-party appraiser may be for you. Some vendors will even send a stone for inspection without any money from you, and any appraiser worst his salt can quickly match the stone to the cert.

Have fun with it. An engagement ring purchase should be a fun exciting event!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Fong!
wavey.gif
Welcome to the Forum!

AL and RA right. Work with a reputable Vendor on-line and you are more likely to get a better quality diamond for a much more reasonable price. Check out different Vendors by searching past threads. Enter a Vendor's name and read other's experiences. Check out different Vendors' websites. Review their return/refund/upgrade policies. Call and chat with a few. Find one you are comfortable working with.

I know White Flash processes everything under a camera to protect themselves and the customer. I'm sure other Vendors have similar policies. Only ONE time in the year I've been on Price Scope has a buyer gotten the wrong diamond. Mistakes happen, not often but they do. Companies in the diamond business live and die on their reputations. The diamond business is one of the few left where a seller's word is his/her bond.

Many people arrange in advance of the purchase to have their diamond or ring evaluated by an independent appraiser. Most Vendors will ship to an approved independent appraiser (link above) for evaluation without you having to pay for the diamond in advance. The appraiser works for you, and reports to you. If you like the results, you pay the Vendor and appraiser, and the diamond is shipped to you. If you don't like the results, the diamond is returned to the Vendor. Your only out of pocket expense is the appraisal fee and return shipping costs.

There are many happy internet diamond buyers here. AL and I are 2 of them. Take your time. Read the Tutorial. Use the PS search engine. As you find diamonds that are of interest to you, post them here. Folks will be more than glad to help out.
1.gif

fongrx7

Rough_Rock
thanks for the replies, guys. I am sure will do some more research before I buy one. I am thinking about to go to some local stores this weekend to take some closer look at some stones, to testify what I learned so far. but I know that I am definitely not ready to buy one yet from local stores.

here are some specs I would like for my e-ring:
round, brilliant ideal cut, about 1-1.5 cat, table 55%-59%, GIA or AGS certified, E-F in color, VS1-SI2 in clarity, no fluor, good or ex in polish and symmetry, thin girlde?

any suggestion about the depth?
wink2.gif

magna2

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 1/23/2004 10:25:44 AM fongrx7 wrote:

here are some specs I would like for my e-ring:
round, brilliant ideal cut, about 1-1.5 cat, table 55%-59%, GIA or AGS certified, E-F in color, VS1-SI2 in clarity, no fluor, good or ex in polish and symmetry, thin girlde?

wink2.gif
----------------

If you are indeed looking for an ideal cut diamond then you would need to look for a diamond with a table somewhere between 54% to 57.5%. As for depth, I would recommend the parameters of 59.5% to 61%, and go for a very good to excellent cut/polish.

Also don't rule out a G color stone. Good luck.

rodent.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
If you will go to http://www.pricescope.com/sift.asp and enter your criteria, you can look over some Ideal cuts that match your specs. That will give you a feel for pricing.

Might I suggest that you don't just go to any old jewelry store to look at diamonds. Check around and find diamond brokers in your area. Diamond brokers will have more Certed diamonds available. You will be able to compare color, clarity, size for carat weight, and maybe even get to see very well cut diamonds side by side with lesser cut diamonds. Looking at diamonds in person will help you find the color range you are comfortable with and show you performance differences in cut level as well.
1.gif

fongrx7

Rough_Rock
thanks for all the suggestions.

one thing I am wondering is that how you find a reliable thirty party for appraisal? do you take what the store suggest?

another thing is that how you choose an online store basic on their price, service, policies about refund, and upgrade. I mean, what is considered as a good online store? I know that is hard to find a perfect one in all area. but I do want to find a better one in all those area.

what kind of service should a store provide?
what about the refund policy and upgrade?

thanks
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results