shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needs some guidance!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ck4mama

Rough_Rock
I am new to buying diamonds. My wedding/engagement ring was a family heirloom.
My husband would like to buy me diamond earrings but he knows even less than I do! I looked at some Daniel K. Asscher stud earrings at a very reputable, local retailer but a friend suggested that I buy the stones on-line at Blue Nile and have the simple, 4-prong setting re-created. The price difference is off the charts for comparable pieces...not sure which way to go?

Here are my questions:
1) What are the pitfalls of using a resource such as Blue Nile? What is their reputation for quality?
2) I was advised that the Daniel K Asscher setting is part of the key to showing the beauty of the stones. It is a simple four-prong, yet VERY minimalistic. How important is the setting on simple studs (1.2carats each).
3) I priced out similar quality diamonds on Blue Nile and they were $12k less (without the setting). Seems a vast difference.
4) I think I get the c''s, but what about the girdle? What should I be looking for in an Asscher cut?
5) The quote given for the following quality - does this sound reasonable?
6) I have two stones and was thinking I wanted to buy a quality my sons could later use for their wives rings. Thoughts?

Any advice is appreciated.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2007 6:34:11 PM
Author:ck4mama
I am new to buying diamonds. My wedding/engagement ring was a family heirloom.
My husband would like to buy me diamond earrings but he knows even less than I do! I looked at some Daniel K. Asscher stud earrings at a very reputable, local retailer but a friend suggested that I buy the stones on-line at Blue Nile and have the simple, 4-prong setting re-created. The price difference is off the charts for comparable pieces...not sure which way to go?

Here are my questions:
1) What are the pitfalls of using a resource such as Blue Nile? What is their reputation for quality?
2) I was advised that the Daniel K Asscher setting is part of the key to showing the beauty of the stones. It is a simple four-prong, yet VERY minimalistic. How important is the setting on simple studs (1.2carats each).
3) I priced out similar quality diamonds on Blue Nile and they were $12k less (without the setting). Seems a vast difference.
4) I think I get the c''s, but what about the girdle? What should I be looking for in an Asscher cut?
5) The quote given for the following quality - does this sound reasonable?
6) I have two stones and was thinking I wanted to buy a quality my sons could later use for their wives rings. Thoughts?

Any advice is appreciated.
1. Blue Nile does not provide sufficient information to buy asschers.
2. Settings do not show the beauty of stones! Diamonds are beautiful on their own! Settings are utilized as a way to wear diamonds.
3. Daniel K is very expensive
4. Medium girdle is best. Thin to slightly thick is also acceptable. You may start seeing some price discounts from thick to very thick.
5. ??
6. Asschers are a very specific shape. It is unlikely that both future daughters-in-law will want asschers.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi ck,

I agree with everything Julie said.

I LOVE the idea of Asscher studs, of course, I just love Asschers period.
9.gif

I would suggest buying them online, I do think it will save you money, but with a different vendor.

I suggest calling Goodoldgold and have them find what you''re looking for, they''ve found some great Asschers for people on here. I have purchased from them, and they are great to work with, and very trustworthy.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/Home/

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Ellen, try Good Old Gold. You can still get the stones at a good price and have your own settings done. Guaranteed to save, if not 12K, at least quite a bit.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results