shape
carat
color
clarity

newbie needs some expert advice . . . please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

daisydeadpetals

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site. My FI proposed to me about two weeks ago. He didn''t have a ring and did it because the moment felt right. Now it is time for me to pick out an engagement ring!

I went to some B&M and mall stores to see what type of ring I would like. What an experience! After the experience I had at one mall store, I decided that buying from the internet would be my best option. I couldn''t believe the prices and lack of quality. I also didn''t appreciate the sales associate telling me what I like and don''t like. I can make that decision myself, thank you! I guess I shouldn''t be surprised.

I like to be an educated shopper and get the most for my money. I was so happy when I came across pricescope. I would call it the fatwallet.com of diamonds!

At first, I was dead set on this 1.26 carat diamond from bluenile. It was a H, VS1, Depth of 60%, Table of 58% for $7505. After requesting the Sarin report and plugging it into the HCA, I realized that I should keep looking.

I read more posts here and did some more research. This is the diamond that I am now interested in: https://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idNo=810700 from Whiteflash. I am thinking quality over quantity. I want something between 1.15 - 1.25 carats. My max price (or my FI''s actually) is $8000.

Here are some questions:

1. What do the experts here think about this diamond?

2. How important is it to get a H&A diamond? Is an ideal cut almost as good or is there a big difference?

3. Cut is the most important thing to me. After that, I''m not sure whether color or clarity is more important.

Another important thing: I want a 6 prong, platinum simple setting. I was thinking about getting a wrap wedding band. What do people think about that? I have really small and skinny fingers (I''m a 4.5 or 5) and I thought a wrap would look more together. Are wraps lame? People at the B&M stores were against wraps.

Please help me!! Thanks!!

18.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock

I''m not an expert, but here''s my $.02...

I think that diamond looks AMAZING! Great clarity and incredible IS image, fantastic numbers, all of it looks great!

30.gif

As far as your other specific questions, H&A vs. ideal is a topic of some debate. I think the safe thing to say is that in general, diamonds cut to true H&A specs are cut with more care to achieve that kind of optical symmetry. However, an AGS ideal proportioned stone with excellent or ideal symmetry may look just as good, in particular AGS "ideal" stones that ALSO score well on the HCA. Another thing I found during my own search was that while my eyes might not be able to detect a difference between a true H&A and an almost H&A, my BRAIN wanted it ALL. So, you have to decide if 1) you can tell the difference and 2) if it matters to you.

As for color vs. clarity, it depends on which you are most sensitive to. I am very sensitive to color, and I don''t mind inclusions much, so the choice was clear for me. Others really want an eye-clean (and even mind-clean) stone, and don''t see a color difference. Again, it''s a matter of seeing what you like

1.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
PS. Whiteflash offers a discount to Pricescope members -make sure to ask for it

Racer811

Rough_Rock

I'm no expert, but I'll give it a shot...

1. I think it's a superb diamond, and if you like it, you should jump all over that. I LOVE the idealscope image.

2. I don't think much of the H&A designation, because AFAIK nobody can tell the difference except the hard core experts viewing it unmounted. It's like the diff between VVS1 and VVS2 to me: nobody but YOU will ever know the difference, so why pay extra for it?

3. This rock has a better clarity than color. If you're ok with that, then go for it. (Some folks here say that H is still pretty darn white, but sorta on the edge). If you decide to go up in color and down in clarity, they have a BEAUTIFUL 1.15 G-SI1 that you should consider (I was considering that one).

Keep in mind that their Expert Selection have great values, but you only get a 2.5% pricescope discount compared to the 5% discount on ACA.

daisydeadpetals

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the advice!

Is there a noticable difference between a G and an H? Is it worth it to go down to a VS2 and go higher up in the color grade?

I''m trying to narrow my search before I request Sarin reports to plug numbers into the HCA. Can I assume that ideal cuts will rate well in the HCA?

HELP!!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
There shouldn''t be a noticable difference b/t a G and H, and if a stone is truly ideal it should score well on the HCA. I think this stone looks incredible!

daisydeadpetals

Rough_Rock

What do you guys think of this one? https://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idNo=798802 for $7187. Do you think it is a better deal than my original favorite? https://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idNo=810700 for $8054?

This new diamond (F, SI1, 1.24 carats) that I picked out has some leakage on the sides of the diamond but scores a 1.4 in the HCA. The original diamond scores a 1 but costs almost $1000 more.

Do you think there would be a noticable difference between these two diamonds? Which one would you choose?

Thanks!!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The new ones looks prety good, and the price looks great. I''d suggest you have Brian look at both and give you his opinion.

Racer811

Rough_Rock
So, what did you decide? It looks like the 1.24ct F-SI1 has a flaw under the table, which might explain the favorable price. It still might not be noticable, though. I noticed that H-VS1 is sold.. is it yours now??

daisydeadpetals

Rough_Rock
No, it wasn''t me.
7.gif
My FI is working 12-14 hour days this week. The last thing he wants to hear about when he comes home is what diamonds I am interested in!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results