shape
carat
color
clarity

newbie needs help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arpyarpad

Rough_Rock
hello, ive been recently reading up on diamonds and am getting some good info since id like to make a good decision for an engagement ring. but im nowhere confidant enough to make the plunge and finally buy. im looking for something bigger than she expects (1.2+) and a moderate quality since its not supposed to be an investment(if you know what i mean
2.gif
) id like to actually see if i could get something near a 1.5 for under $6000 without sacrificing beauty. is that possible?

now im asking this knowing full well that there are MANY factors that determine a diamonds price but here goes.
ive been looking at uniondiamond.com and they seem to have some "cheaper" priced 1.5 carrot diamonds. im looking at one in particular but the price seems so low that im kind of confused. can this actually be a good buy?

Certificate: EGL
Shape: Round
Cut: Very Good
Carat: 1.51
Color: I
Clarity: SI2
Measurements: 7.21-7.12-4.52
Depth Percentage: 63.1 %
Table Percentage: 57 %
Girdle: TK-
Culet: None (Pointed)
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: None (Inert)

Regular Price: $4975
Wire Transfer Price: $4830

any advice would be appreciated.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be extremely difficult, but not impossible.

arpyarpad

Rough_Rock
thats what im thinking yet there are some diamonds such as the one i have as an example that seem decent on paper. id be willing to buy a smaller size but i need some help.

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 6:56:10 PM
Author: arpyarpad
thats what im thinking yet there are some diamonds such as the one i have as an example that seem decent on paper. id be willing to buy a smaller size but i need some help.
I wouldn''t say it''s decent on paper. It''s pretty deep and the symmetry is only good. This from EGL, who knows what this diamond''s true stats are. I''d be much more comfortable sticking with AGS or GIA certs, myself.

arpyarpad

Rough_Rock
i actually meant to a newbie such as me. thats why im here asking.
33.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason why it's priced low, so far, is because it is EGL, finish grades are only good and very good, and it looks like a Tolkowsky 1.35 ct stone.

Reasons we don't know, but could be possible: it is not eyeclean, it is not properly graded, and/or it's just butt-ugly.

arpyarpad

Rough_Rock
ok, so you guys recommend staying away from EGL? and to look for a better symmetry? i am willing to go smaller to make sure it is a better looking diamond.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Arpy,

Julie knows her stuff. And the one she founds is uniquely affordable...

Date: 2/23/2007 6:58:37 PM
Author: JulieN
This 1.42 J SI2 comes up...AGS 0, Tolkowsky proportions, looks like it''s near hearts and arrows: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=858447 actually bigger face-up than the EGL I SI2.

Guess that wasn''t as hard as I thought it was going to be.
28.gif

I''d try to get Garry''s attention though...or any expert. The magnification doesn''t show much in the way of inclusions for an SI2 that I can see, but the cert talks about clouds, and Garry''s mentioned that that can hurt the brilliance of a stone. If AGS only does a light performance scan of the shape of the diamond to give it it''s 0 for light performance...they may not be giving it the eval it needs. Clearly...something is bringing the cost down. On the search by cut, others near it cost $9K. On the big board...nothing costs similarly where the cert is showing.

Certainly worth investigating further, though.....

arpyarpad

Rough_Rock
thanks guys so far!

there seems to be some kind of brownish colors on the magnifying glass on the website. i guess that could possibly be the trouble?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With these parameters on the big search:
Round shape, 1.35–1.5 cts, J color, SI2 clarity, 58.5–62.5% depth, 54–61% table, $1000–20000, GIA and AGS certified

I get 29 results.

With budget of 6000, 22 results.

Then there''s an Infinity 1.54 J SI2 for 8K. 1K for Infinity, 1K for the extra weight? So I don''t know think the 1.42 is uniquely priced, yaar.
19.gif

But, yes, do check if the clouds give it a ...cloudy appearance.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll call it and say the brown stuff isn't a problem.

usually it is an indication of leakage, but this time, I think it's a combination of the J color and some external lighting...thing. you notice the brown area is very well-defined, it has lines and angles. so obviously it is not brown inclusions, but due to the lighting or photography.

arpyarpad

Rough_Rock
another couple of questions.

the band is white gold with channel set diamonds and a six prong setting. will the j color be hurt or help by a band like that?

and who's Garry?
1.gif

arpyarpad

Rough_Rock
thanks for all the help. i''ll be looking for a little while longer and im sure i''ll be back with more newbie questions.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results