shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needs help on G SI1 vs. H VS2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrispassmore

Rough_Rock
I am currently looking at a 1.5 round diamond that is either a H color with VS2 clarity or a G color with SI1 clarity. I am torn on which way to go. Assuming that both have a relatively good cut (table 59% and depth 60%, approximatley) with no flourescence, which do all of you suggest?

Also, this will be in a platinum solitaire. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Chris

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Chris!
wavey.gif

G and H are both great choices for white gold and platinum. Both fall in the "near colorless" category and are very white.

A 59% table is in the Class 1B cut category. The depth, at 60%, falls in the Class 1A cut category. Not shabby at all!

With larger carat weight diamonds, you definitely want to check on the inclusions of a SI1 clarity. SI1's are typically eye clean when viewed from the top, but inclusions may be seen through the sides. Larger diamonds have more side to show depending on the setting choice. Check color, size, location, and type of inclusions. That may be the deciding factor between your 2 diamonds.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you see both in person? It may make a decision for you to see them with your eyes...one may 'speak' to you more.

G and H both work well in platinum...people even go to J if the stone is well cut and faces up white.

My stone is a G and its very white in the plat setting, sometimes almost too white, though its a white brilliant type of stone vs a fiery.

So you'd be fine either way. Some people feel better about clarity, having it at VS than SI. Some people feel better about having color at G than H. It's a preference thing when you are this close to the same thing. If the SI1 is eye-clean..it should be fine.

Eenie meenie miney mo?

chrispassmore

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, I am unable to actually see either diamond as I am relying on the wonders of the internet (particularly pricescope.com) to select my diamond. So, I am basing my decision solely on the specifications and any discussion with the vendor. I'm hoping that if I contact the vendor (so far I've looked at Whiteflash, Abazias) to discuss the clarity they will be able to provide feedback regarding whether its eye clean.

Another quick question, what does faceted mean? I can't quit track the definition down.

Thanks for your replies. Its nice to hear I haven't totally screwed up my diamond selection. My soon to be fiance will appreciate that.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Faceted as in faceted girdle? It just means that the girdle is faceted (like the stone itself is, with myriad angles cut into the stone to reflect light back) as opposed to non-faceted girdles, which look somewhat frosty and opaque and are flat surfaces and don't reflect back any light.

More of the newly cut stones are faceted, with older cuts being non-faceted. It's a preference thing and really in no way affects the look of the stone, unless you have a very thick unfaceted girdle, in which case you'd have this big chunk of frosty white area on your diamond, somewhat scary. But you shouldn't really be considering a very thick girdle anyway!!
2.gif

Hope that somewhat roundabout explanation helps a bit.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Mara already addressed the faceted issue, I think/hope.
rolleyes.gif

Ask for Sarin info so you can crunch the Cut Adviser, grade the Cut Class, and compare the Price Stats.

Since you are relying on the vendor to be your eyes, definitely get copies of the Certs and inclusions plots. Take a look at the inclusions plots and discuss them with the vendors. The SI1 could have that rating for any number of reasons and actually be a very "clean" diamond.

Both vendors are VERY reputable. Compare their return, refund, and life-time upgrade policies. Since you cannot see the diamonds, you might consider having them shipped to an approved appraiser first. I've seen comments from appraisers where they will "eyeball" two diamonds for a client and recommend one for evaluation. That saves the cost of 2 evaluations, and return shipping for the second diamond is really nominal.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results