shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needs help, is this good ring for my fiancé to be?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BigBenK

Rough_Rock

Hi, I have been dating my girlfriend for 5 years now and would like to make her my wife. Her father is not doing well heath wise and we want him to be able to walk her down the isle She has just graduated collage and I am still working on my degree. After putting a substantial down payment for a home and budgeting for everything (we are having a small simple wedding) we don’t have a lot of money left over. We both thought instead of buying a nice big ring and big wedding we rather buy a home in a good neighborhood and one we could grow into. 4 bedrooms 3 baths, an office, garage nice landscaped yard and will be able to be paid off in ten years no problem (really really big down payment). I could have bought any girls dream ring if we had not put such a big down payment on our home, but I am still working on my degree and we are trying to budget every day bills just using her income. So far it has been easier to buy a home than pick out a ring!

We have sat down and talked about getting married so the ring will be picked out along with her. We went online and looked at a few ring on the web just to get an ideal of the style she liked. She wants yellow gold setting with side accent diamonds; she does not like the look of halos. She is in her late twenties and likes to wear just a few pieces of jewelry at a time. She is a small stature woman with size 5 fingers. She does not like coloured gems stones as an e-ring, and does not want to ever upgrade the ring that I purpose with. She sadly loathes eternity rings, which I really wanted to buy her for an engagement ring. She also not a really flashy person. we both drive Hybrids, she could care less about designer handbags and clothes.

She ended up going on eBay and really likes these two. We have only $1000.00 dollars to spend on her erring and she wants a simple gold band (budget for that is $300) for every day use, she is in the medical field and likes simplicity for work. How do young people afford such large extravagant rings? After student loans and every day bills what we have left goes into savings for rainy days.

She likes the style however not sure of the enhanced diamond? I have sent this vendor an email and have yet to hear anything back from them so I don’t have much to write about.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-53-CT-SI1-H-ROUND-DIAMOND-engagement-RING-14K-GOLD_W0QQitemZ260383999704QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDiamond_Solitaire_with_Accents?hash=item260383999704&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

She really likes this ring. I have emailed the woman who is selling it; she say it is a SI2 borderline I1 due to one feather close to the table and that is the only flaw with it (she also says it is not easily seen). She also says there is no true grade as a S13, is she right? She has had it appraised and gave me the business name and number for me to call if I want to ask the Gemologist any questions. She is going to send me more pictures of the ring and if I want she will even set up a cam meeting so I can ask her questions and see the rings sparkle and character. She also says that she has an unworn wedding band that matches the engagement ring and is made to Jewish tradition, a poured cast band. Also she says if I do win it she will give me a week to have it appraised again and see how my girlfriend truly likes the ring. From my girlfriends and my dealing with her she seems sincere and honest (egads I am lost at this jewelry thing). It also seems to be my girlfriend’s favorite!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=140311040855

TIA

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You seem like a very wise person with good financial goals. But I''m gonna have to tell you, wise people don''t buy e-rings off e-bay. You certainly don''t want an enhanced diamond either. I''d FAR rather have a small diamond of excellent quality.

$1000 is not very much for the stone and setting as a simple gold solitaire setting will cost a couple hundred dollars. You want a diamond that is graded by GIA or AGS, preferably. With that budget, you might want to look somewhere like Costco, because you could have the ring appraised elsewhere and easily return it if it wasn''t as advertised. But with ebay, you might end up with a disaster.

I''m going to look around for a few minutes to show you some examples of rings you could get.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

BigBenK

Rough_Rock
I know $1000.00 isn’t much for an e-ring, as you say we have had different financial goals.
The first ring is defiantly a no go. The seller emailed me back saying there could be no structural problem in the future with the diamond. I asked a jeweler about it and said that this was hog wash!

I think Chaya my intended, is set on the second ring as the seller is of Jewish decent and they ended up talking for quite a while on the phone. How can you ladies stay on the phone for so long???

emdgust.gif

I would love to see more example of ring though bring them on!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 5:36:19 PM
Author: BigBenK
How can you ladies stay on the phone for so long???

Because she was trying to make a sale.

BigBenK

Rough_Rock
Blast I thought she was a decent person. She is the one who told me about Pricescope also she mentioned Good old Gold where she had purchased before. Should I keep away from that company as well? She spoke very highly of them.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 5:36:19 PM

I know $1000.00 isn’t much for an e-ring, as you say we have had different financial goals.
The first ring is defiantly a no go. The seller emailed me back saying there could be no structural problem in the future with the diamond. I asked a jeweler about it and said that this was hog wash!

I think Chaya my intended, is set on the second ring as the seller is of Jewish decent and they ended up talking for quite a while on the phone. How can you ladies stay on the phone for so long???

emdgust.gif

I would love to see more example of ring though bring them on!
Well, it is a unique ring and that is great if she loves it. I''d recommend having one custom made like it with quality diamonds. But if you go with it, keep in mind that appraisals like that can often be twice what the item is really worth, and since you are buying second hand, you should pay about a quarter to a third of that appraised amount. Then of course, you still have zero idea of the actual quality. But it says they have a 3 day return period. I strongly advise you to take it and have it appraised immediately if you do puchase it.

I saw this at Pearlman''s, but it does not have the price listed yet. Pearlman''s is an excellent jeweler, and they have a great return policy. There are also a couple of yellow gold rings in their consignment section.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/closeout-jewelry/rings/283CO1/0/

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/previously-owned-jewelry/

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Gog Old Gold is a great company. Many people here on PS have gotten beautiful pieces from them!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 5:45:56 PM
Blast I thought she was a decent person. She is the one who told me about Pricescope also she mentioned Good old Gold where she had purchased before. Should I keep away from that company as well? She spoke very highly of them.
The seller of the second ebay ring is a Good Old Gold customer??? I think that is terrific she gave your girlfriend such good advice! Yes, by all means call Good Old Gold! You can''t go wrong if you do that! (And I know because I have a diamond from them!)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hm ...what about this? Erica and Grace have a fantastic reputation - with them, you know you''re getting what you pay for ....

BigBenK

Rough_Rock
Yes she is a customer, from what I understand she told Chaya, apparently she bought this ring in the mid 1980 to 1990 from Ny when she lived in Poquott (sp?). So they do good work she said that she has never had a problem with the bead set pave work and they build very sturdy rings yet beautiful pieces. She has quite a few pieces from them.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 5:45:56 PM

1.gif
Love the sarcasm. I always wish it translated more smoothly on the internet.

If you both like the ebay ring, by all means, go for it. There are tons of descent sellers on ebay and many of us, myself included, have bought rings or diamonds on ebay. Ebay isn''t the issue. The issue is trying to get enough information to see if it''s a nice diamond and having the protection that retail stores usually offer. I do wish that I knew more about diamonds and researched more before buying my engagement ring. If I had, I actually might have bought it on ebay. Do you know enough and feel comfortable enough to make such a big purchase on ebay?

BigBenK

Rough_Rock

Addy I can be a bit thick. I wish I could just propose with the kitten that we are going to be picking up over the weekend. I am so lost when it comes to jewelry but talk about molecular phylogenetics I am right at home.
Circe that you for the link I emailed to C. at work and it is not the style she likes however she did sort of like this by Whiteflash however it does not come in yellow gold.
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Antique-Bowtie--Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1272.htm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me just say that there are vendors that I would buy a diamond from on ebay. Pearlman''s is one. They''d supply me with a GIA cert and a generous return policy. I''d buy from Signed Pieces as well, because they deal with authentic designer pieces. But I''d NEVER buy an enhanced diamond from anyone, and I''d also probably not buy uncertified diamonds, either, unless perhaps it was an antique stone.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2009 6:16:02 PM

Addy I can be a bit thick. I wish I could just propose with the kitten that we are going to be picking up over the weekend. I am so lost when it comes to jewelry but talk about molecular phylogenetics I am right at home.

Circe that you for the link I emailed to C. at work and it is not the style she likes however she did sort of like this by Whiteflash however it does not come in yellow gold.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Antique-Bowtie--Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1272.htm

Hm ... that''s okay, I like a challenge! Included just because the price is right, and I think the design is cool, there''s this
bezel-set champagne diamond from Dover Jewelers. They have a nice rep, too, so it might be worth combing through their offerings ... but it sounds like you really like the ring your nice eBay lady has to offer, as well as the woman herself. Just be sure to get it appraised ASAP, to be sure that you don''t get a bad deal! And give the board a while to work its magic ... you''d be surprised what people here can come up with, if you give them time.

BigBenK

Rough_Rock
Oh thank you everyone! I now know why the seller said to check out this site before I bought anything. I put this link on today so I could get more of an ideal of what’s out there, also the auction does not end for 4 more days. I want to take my time to make sure. The only reason we are rushing this fast is due to the soon to be father in laws health. We are hoping to have the wedding two days after Shavuot if the rabbi oks it.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hm ... somebody above mentioned Pearlman's. Here's their eBay page of engagment rings, almost all of which are in your price range, and most of which seem to fit the "look" that you're going for. Would any of these do? Keep in mind, they're mostly setting-only, but finding a stone of the proper size with good proportions would be doable, I think ... you have a month and a half, and since you seem very intelligently cost-conscious, you definitely want to get the most value for your dollar (and the loveliest possible thing for your bride-to-be).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results