shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Needs Help Deciding Between Two Round Brilliant Stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mokafrosty

Rough_Rock

Hello,

This is such an amazing forum filled with friendly people with excellent experience! I was hoping to get an opinion as to two diamonds I am considering for an engagement ring. I''ve attached the two GIA certificates here and in the next post, but basically they are as follows:

Choice 1: 1.50 carat, G/VS2/E/E/E no fluorescence. I plugged it through the HCA and it came up as a 1.4 or so, so its in The Ideal Cut (TIC) range. However, I''m concerned about the feathers, clouds and indented natural on the surface. Are these a concern? I ran a search on indented naturals and feathers, and it seemed like there was a small choice of these being the start of some damage or cracks in the stone.

Choice 2: 1.53 carat, G/VS2/E/E/VG no fluorescence. I also plugged it through HCA, and it came up more like a 2.6. Still "Very Good" but not as shiny as choice one I suppose. However, its table is much cleaner, with only some crystals and clouds off the table. Is the clean table worth the tradeoff in brilliance and fire? Are crystals and clouds something that are very easy to spot without careful looking or a loupe?

I''m fairly picky about inclusions, although I can go as high as an SI1. I can actually see VS2 inclusions if I look carefully with my nekkid eye.

I would really, REALLY appreciate your quick opinion as to which you think is preferable!

Thanks!
19.gif

- Clueless in San Mateo (Sam)
26.gif

Choice 2.JPG

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TIC stands for Tolkowsky Ideal Cut

I would check out the first one. Since it doesn't sound like you've seen it in person yet, you'll just have to find out when you see it? But the second one sounds fine, too

VS2 inclusions are very small, so they are not usually a durability concern.

mokafrosty

Rough_Rock
Here is the first choice GIA cert! Thank you!

PS Choice 1.JPG

mokafrosty

Rough_Rock
Thanks Julie! Its an on-line thing. So I guess I would have to just be surprised when it came in the mail!

(Thanks for explaining TIC for me)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
would you change your vendor choice to someone who will give you pictures/Ideal Scope?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will the vendor supply IS image?

#1 choice looks good though.

mokafrosty

Rough_Rock
I wish they would, too. I wonder if its difficult to return things on-line.

mokafrosty

Rough_Rock
Stonecold, do you mean that the 1.50 carat stone looks good, or the 1.53 carat stone looks good? (I mixed up the pictures)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The 1.50c.

Any chance of getting an Idealscope image from the vendor first?

mokafrosty

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Stone-cold. I will ask for the IS image (not sure if I can get it). Probably could see from a good image whether those indents or feathers are a big deal.

Is your opinion of the 1.50 carat higher because its depth and table proportions are "better"? And hoping that the VS2 inclusions are minor?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Better proportion. VS2 inclusions should be tiny.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 5:24:16 PM
Author: mokafrosty
Thanks, Stone-cold. I will ask for the IS image (not sure if I can get it). Probably could see from a good image whether those indents or feathers are a big deal.

Is your opinion of the 1.50 carat higher because its depth and table proportions are ''better''? And hoping that the VS2 inclusions are minor?
This diamond looks great, no worries with VS2 inclusions as they will be minuscule.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results