shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needs help choosing diamond from James Allen

smilingliez

Rough_Rock
I have been researching on RB loose diamond for about a month. I have done some due diligence to educate myself on 4C/HCA/HnA etc.But still, when it comes to such a major purchase from online retailers, I still don't feel confident at my choice. So, any opinions would be appreciated!

My budget: under $20k including setting for <1.5 carat, or $25k for >=1.5 carat.

My requirements:
1. Must be AGS triple 0 or GIA 3ex for cut/polish/symmetry
2. Color: F or G.
3. Clarity: VS1. I don't want to spend too much on sth I can't see with naked eyes, as long as the inclusion doesn't affect light performance and diamond durability. On the other hand, for "mind clean", I guess I probably don't want to consider anything<= VS2.
4. Must be a heart and arrow diamond. Don't ask me why. I am just obsessed by its symmetry. Again, it is for "mnd clean".
5. HCA<2.
6. Carat: as large as possible when all above requirements are met (should be >1.25 ct?)

After comparing some major online retailers widely recommended by PS, I find that James Allen seems to have the best pricing. Here are 3 diamonds I am considering:

1. 1.53ct/G/VS1/AGS triple 0 from JA True Heart collection. $17821 after PS and wire discount
Questions:
1) There are 4 "leaves" at the center of the computer generated light performance image. Is it a concern? Also, half of an arrow is missing (3 o'clock). Is it normal?
2) The heart image has 3 hearts with tilted tip (2/6/9 o'clock positions). Does it mean it is not that ideal ?
3) Is the feather likely to cause durability problem ? They are all quite close to girdle edge.

ja1.jpg

ja1_inclusion.jpg

ja1_spec.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks excellent!

smilingliez

Rough_Rock
2. 1.66ct/F/VS1/AGS triple 0 from JA True Heart collection, $22786 after PS and wire discount.
Questions:
1) Similarly, do I need to concern about the incomplete arrows on the computer generated light performance image (3/6/9 o'clock positions)
2) The HCA score is above 2. Is it an indicator that I should eliminate this diamond? I remember some people said for JA True Heart collection or White Flash ACA, HCA is not that important. I wonder why? Isn't it still a good tool to estimate the light performance?

ja2.jpg

ja2_inclusion.jpg

ja2_spec.jpg

smilingliez

Rough_Rock
3. 1.26 ct/F/VS1/AGS triple 0 from JA True Heart colleciton, $15035 after PS and wire discount

Questions:
1) The heart image shows the "V" shape (not sure what it is called) below the heart tip to be quite off symmetric. Again, does it mean it is a less ideal H&A diamond? Is it something widely accepted by PSers for JA's True Heart collection?
2) HCA > 2. Again, shall I rull out this diamond just because of this?

ja3.jpg

ja3_inclusion.jpg

ja3_spec.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The AGSL ASET map sometimes have error in the scan resulting in these disappearance, will not put too much faith in them when real images are available.

HCA score not really important once idealscope image is available, it is just a rejection tool. Idealscope image all looks good. Hearts images, #2 is the best of the lot.

Feathers, no worries at VS1 level, not every going to be the cause of anything.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
all of those stones look great. When dealing with VS1 clarity- the feathers shouldn't be a concern. Dont hesitate to contact the vendor to ask specific questions about the stones if you have a concern.

smilingliez

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your reply! I now feel a little more assured about my choice. Just to confirm, is it always true that when IS image is available and shows good (like the 3 I chose), then it overweighs the HCA score? How about ASET image? JA doesn't provide ASET image. I wonder what additional information ASET is providing that IS image is not? Also, when judging the price, is Rapaport price ($/carat) a good reference?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IS outweighs HCA, of course, because HCA is a predictor. The ASET isn't going to tell you anything that the IS doesn't. they are all excellent, of course, and there is no real reason to prefer one over another based on IS/hearts pictures.

smilingliez

Rough_Rock
I had the JA gemologist inspect the first and the second one for me. I was told while both have fantastic fire and brilliance, the first one (1.53ct/G/VS1) is slightly brighter with superior sparkle. It seems to agree with the HCA score. I am just not sure about the feather inclusion. I may be paranoid. Recently I remember seeing some post with chipped diamond. So I really concern some day the feather will expand and make it a SI diamond....Do I need to bring it to a local appraiser for further inspection to make sure it is unlikely to cause durability problem? More assurance pls.... I need to make a decision soon. I am so tired of diamond selection now....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results