shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needs help ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Talia

Rough_Rock
Good Afternoon,

I have been lurking around here for a while now and only wish I had known about pricescope years ago! I am always awed by the knowledge around here and now really need some fast advice. I will try to make a long story short. My husband and I have been married for 17 years now and this year we decided to buy a new solitaire e-ring. I love both RB and asscher, so we looked and we bought a square emerald cut from a local jewery store which had been recommended by family. Although I think the stone is beautiful, after much research it seemed the we had been overcharged. That made me uncomfortable enough to go back to the store. Unfortunately, the store does not offer any returns, only exchanges, so I looked for my best alternative in the size I wanted and a close price range for a RB. But now I am not sure about either choice and really realy need help. I probably only have today left to make a decision. I am going to list the stats of both the stones and would really appreciate any opinions. Again thanks in advance - T

Stone #1 - $6200.00

Weight 1.17 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color G
Clarity SI2
Measurements 6.94 - 6.88 x 4.06 mm
Depth 58.8
Table 61.0
Crown 12.6
Pavilion 42.7
Girdle THIN TO MEDIUM FACETED
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE

The stone has a EGL cert and several clear feather inclusions that I can see face up with a naked eye ( these would mostly be covered by the prongs)

Stone #2 - $5015.00

Weight 0.77
Shape Square emerald cut
color F
clarity VVS1
Measurements 5.23x5.22x3.30
depth 63.2%
table 57%
girdle thick
culet none
polish v. good
symmetry v. good
Fluorescence NONE

The stone has a GIA cert and no inclusions that can be seen even under a scope and only one pinpoint noted on the cert

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The round stone has lots of negatives..I won''t list them all (table too large, depth too shallow, polish and symmetry should be very good or higher, visible inclusions, etc). Ask your jeweler to call in some GIA Excellent cut stones or AGS0 (ideal cut) stones.

I''m sorry I don''t know about asschers. But I will say, that asscher is so much smaller than the round, I wouldn''t want it for that reason. So basically, I''d reject both stones and ask for them to call in more for you to look at or else give you your money back.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first one is too shallow and the table is too big.
The second one is overly deep.

Keep trying, I know it can be frustrating at first. Please read the tutorials here about cut, that is the most important aspect of making a diamond sparkle.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

I agree with Seeks, you can do far better than the round you mention. It is entirely up to you what you do as you can see both diamonds, but suffice to say the proportions of the round could be much better, as a result it is doubtful that you would get the best performance from it.
8.gif
If you have time, read up on cut as that will help you very much to find a lovely stone. As you are locked into dealing with this jeweller, see what else he can get in for you to look at?

The second being an Asscher is more difficult to judge.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
There is also the option of loving the stone that you first purchased from this jeweler. Do you, love it, I mean? If so, and it has a good cert from a reputable lab with lots of sparkle, then maybe chalking it up to the price of doing business face to face with someone as opposed to online where the margins are a bit smaller on the mark up. Just a thought. I''m in the mood for devil''s advocate today.
2.gif

shay

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/23/2006 12:25:31 PM
Author:Talia
Good Afternoon,

I have been lurking around here for a while now and only wish I had known about pricescope years ago! I am always awed by the knowledge around here and now really need some fast advice. I will try to make a long story short. My husband and I have been married for 17 years now and this year we decided to buy a new solitaire e-ring. I love both RB and asscher, so we looked and we bought a square emerald cut from a local jewery store which had been recommended by family. Although I think the stone is beautiful, after much research it seemed the we had been overcharged. That made me uncomfortable enough to go back to the store. Unfortunately, the store does not offer any returns, only exchanges, so I looked for my best alternative in the size I wanted and a close price range for a RB.
If you like the stone keep it. You can't return it anyway and most likely they will just overcharge you on another stone you pick. You probably won't be able to find a much better deal seeing as how it is the same store with the same overhead and markups. Just consider it a lesson learned and next time you make a diamond purchase you'll know where not to go. I don't know about the Square emerald cut (although I think the VVS1 clarity is a little overkill), but that RB is definately not a winner.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock

Date: 12/23/2006 12:25:31 PM
Author:Talia

Stone #1 - $6200.00

Weight 1.17 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color G
Clarity SI2
Measurements 6.94 - 6.88 x 4.06 mm
Depth 58.8
Table 61.0
Crown 12.6
Pavilion 42.7
Girdle THIN TO MEDIUM FACETED
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE

The stone has a EGL cert and several clear feather inclusions that I can see face up with a naked eye ( these would mostly be covered by the prongs)

Just for comparison heres a stone I found on James Allen:

Price: $5500

Item Number: 868593
Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.25
Cut: Premium
Color: G
Clarity: SI2
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 61.6%
Table: 59%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.88*6.91*4.25

Crown Angle: 35.5°
Crown %: 15.00
Pavillion Angle: 40.8°
Pavillion %: 43.00

Not only is it larger and $700 cheaper, it has a GIA cert and has a better cut then than stone #1. I would be content with the stone you have (that you already said you loved) and not try to find "a better deal" with that jeweler... They already have your money so you really don't have any leverage at this point for you to get a deal.

Talia

Rough_Rock
To everyone who answered,

I just wanted to thank all of you for your quick responses. I was not able to get back here yesterday but I was able to make a final decision to keep my Square Emerald cut, and chalk the "mistakes" involved in getting it up to experience as some suggested. It may be a bit overpriced and small but it is beautiful. Again thanks for you help !!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results