shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needs help and ideas on upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cici

Rough_Rock
I am sort of new here. But seems like you ladies/gents here are all experts. So here goes the question. I am in the process of upgrade my e-ring and wedding band. I have a marquise center stone around 1ct which was in my DH's family and was given by MIL. So I can't change that. Right now it is just set in a plain band. I am thinking about doing the settings in platinum, and add some more 'bling'
face23.gif
Since it is a marquise, I would like to have it set a bit low so it doesn't catch everything. I also have small hands, my finger size is around 3.5, so I don't want complicated design, something simple yet elegant. And I'd like to have the wedding band matching with no gap. But I do want to be able to wear the wedding band by itself if I choose to. I am asking a lot, eh?
emembarrassed.gif

Right now I am looking at something like this. What do you think? Too much? Like a mall ring? I need more ideas, recommandations, tips and pics. Thank you!

MENO-E16.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sidestones
2.gif
? I know a pair of trillions would just cover your finger... Letting the wedding band go under them would need a bit of engineering, but it is not impossible - especially if the band is not too thick (- a simple one).

If worse comes to worse
11.gif
the marq may become a respectable pendant and leave room for any upgrade
12.gif
Would this work ?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe set the marquis east-west? I''ll try to find some pics.

cici

Rough_Rock
I think I have to keep the center stone. I have thought about the east-west setting, but since I have somewhat of a slim and long fingers, I think it might be too much. Even one of the ladies at the store said that. Thanks though. Please keep the ideas coming in. Oh, forgot to mention, I do want it to be somewhat different, since there''s 2 other girls in the office also have marquise. Therefore, I''d rather not do baguettes as side.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um, what can I say, I love that picture!!! But probably so because I''m currently doing the same thing to my pear.
21.gif
I had the same idea in mind about setting it low so that the pointy tip doesn''t catch on anything or anyone. However, you''re definitely going to run into a problem with the matching wedding band and no gap. I don''t think you''re going to be able to overcome that with this design unless you set the stone a little higher. If so, a thin matching diamond band would look wonderful, like Mara''s rings on this website, and would sit flush together with the e-ring. But I do love the look of the e-ring you posted. Good luck.

FireGoddess

cici

Rough_Rock
FG, I got the idea from Ritani''s Endless Love line. I tried in real person, it actually sits pretty low, and allows the band to sit right next to it without gap. My only thing with that design is the the bottom tip is exposed. Do I need to worry about that? Also, is it worth the money to go with a designer name? Of course I just started my hunt, so I don''t want settle yet, I want more ideas so I can choose from and make sure I get the one I want.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
cici,

That''s where I got my idea as well...I love Ritani''s Endless Love too. I actually had my jeweler replicate the design, so it''s probably somewhat cheaper than paying for the setting from Ritani. Ritani''s design does not have milgrained edges, so that''s something I had my jeweler add in. I also had the pear bezel set instead of prong set to protect the tip as well as decrease the potential for the ring to snag anything. I''ll keep on the lookout for some marquise pictures, but there is something about microsetting the stone that I just adore...antique look, but totally modern as well. Timeless!

cici

Rough_Rock
Okay, I am sooo totally new to this. What is bezel set? What is prong set? I thought the Ritani''s is bezel set? Wrong? Also what is microsetting? Is that the same as pave? Please educate me.
33.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 1:54:49 PM
Author: cici
Okay, I am sooo totally new to this. What is bezel set? What is prong set? I thought the Ritani's is bezel set? Wrong? Also what is microsetting? Is that the same as pave? Please educate me.
33.gif
Ritani's Endless Love design is bezel set (metal encasing the perimeter of the stone), but the picture of the marquise you have above is prong set (6 prongs holding the stone in). My understanding of microsetting is that it is essentially the same as pave, but with smaller stones? Essentially the same thing.
1.gif

FireGoddess

cici

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 2
6.gif
3:59 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Ritani''s Endless Love design is bezel set (metal encasing the perimeter of the stone), but the picture of the marquise you have above is prong set (6 prongs holding the stone in). My understanding of microsetting is that it is essentially the same as pave, but with smaller stones? Essentially the same thing.
1.gif

FireGoddess
In that case, I like the protection bezel set has too, and love the microsetting as well.

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
How about an east west setting for your marquis.
A throughly modern way to set a marquis, that references back to Art Nouveau as well as Art Deco.
I saw one recently set that this and it was an absolute show stopper!

I couldn't find any pictures of what I have in Mind.
This one comes from Leon Mege at Art of Platinum This ring is sort of a-typical for him, he usually works in Platinum in a much more detailed antique style.

This is clearly not what you're looking for, but I thought I'd post the pic anyways.
I'll keep looking for what I have in mind.

East West Marquis.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Treysar posted this from Dirt Cheap Diamonds'' website, if you''re looking at east to west setting:

ACF963E.jpg

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
I love the first picture posted! I agree, I would have it bezel set, to protect the stone and to keep it from snagging. I think that looks like a very dainty ring and would look great on your small fingers.

I would just make sure the band is thin, like 1-1.2mm.

I can''t wait to see what you decide...we love these kinds of projects here on PS.
9.gif

cici

Rough_Rock
I think I have pretty much decided against east-west setting with the small fingers and all. My question is, do you think it's too much, the ring I posted that is. With the diamonds around the center stone and all? Also, if it is a 1mm band for ering and 1mm wedding band are they too thin? Should I get 2 band on each side of ering? What about diamond and saphire mixed band(s)? As always, please keep the ideas coming. I love choices, especially when it comes to diamonds and rings.
9.gif

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
No, I don''t think it''s too much.
Make your Marquis work for who you are - Not for your DH or your MIL, or for us!
Make yourself happy - so that when you look at it, all you can think of is your DH and how happy you are!
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 3:42
6.gif
7 PM
Also, if it is a 1mm band for ering and 1mm wedding band are they too thin? Should I get 2 band on each side of ering? What about diamond and saphire mixed band(s)?
Hmmm, I might go for 2mm to 2.5 mm. Anyone have a 1mm band to see? It seems very very thin.

As for mixed stone bands...they''re gorgeous...you might ask to try some on at a jeweler to see how they would look with your ring.

cici

Rough_Rock
FG, I think the Ritani Endless love is 1mm band. I know, it''s very thin, hence the 2 band idea. I asked if Ritani will make a 2mm band, and it''s like triple the price.
6.gif

cici

Rough_Rock
I know!!! I think they say it is because they have to make a wax for it. LOVE the saphire and diamond one. Those looks like 1mm. Who makes those. I''m thinking get the thin diamond one, or 2
27.gif
, first, then get 2 saphired ones. That is if I decide to get the ering in the style I posted. That way I can play with the looks
18.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can find those rings at www.christopherdesigns.com

Click on catalogs, and you'll see the "mini bands" catalog on the right.

What price range does Ritani want for a 1mm Endless Love setting??? And is it wg or plat? I bet someone could replicate the look for less. Possibly Whiteflash.

Sounds great to mix and match bands! Never get bored...
10.gif

cici

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 4:41:12 PM

Click on catalogs, and you'll see the 'mini bands' catalog on the right.

What price range does Ritani want for a 1mm Endless Love setting??? And is it wg or plat?
Thanks. I think it's around 2500-2900 for the Ritani ering and around 1500 for the band and it's platinum.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 4:51
6.gif
7 PM

Date: 1/28/2005 4:41:12 PM

Click on catalogs, and you''ll see the ''mini bands'' catalog on the right.

What price range does Ritani want for a 1mm Endless Love setting??? And is it wg or plat?
Thanks. I think it''s around 2500-2900 for the Ritani ering and around 1500 for the band and it''s platinum.
And they want triple that if they have to cast a freaking wax???!?!? Good grief. The e-ring price in platinum is not too outrageous, at least in the ballpark of what a custom jeweler could do, but for that price a custom jeweler would do the wax, the ring, and it''d be 2-2.5 mm!!!!

At any rate, 1mm just gives you more cause to stack multiple bands around the e-ring.
9.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
I think the Ritanti-inspired setting you posted is just beautiful.
1.gif
Go for it!!

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
that totally looks like an eyeball to me! LOL

personally, i love the first pic! i don''t think it''ll be too much on a 1c marquise - it''ll give you delicate bling!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 7:18:57 PM
Author: twinkletoes
hahaha...how about now???

aiou.jpg

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, I was just thinking about how much that east-west setting looks like a cat eye...and then I see that! Exactly!! hehe.

On a more serious note
1.gif
, I looooove the first ring you posted (the Ritani-esque one). I am not usually a marquise kinda gal, but if it looked like that, I''d wear it in a second!!!! I saw one somewhere once (sorry, don''t have a pic) that was similar except instead of one pave row around the stone it had 2 micropave rows around it, kinda graduated from each other...it was REALLLLLLY bling bling!

cici

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 7:42:12 PM

Date: 1/28/2005 7:18:57 PM
Author: twinkletoes
hahaha...how about now???
This is too funny.
9.gif
That was totally my fear about east-west setting too. The big cat eye, boxer ring. HOUMedGal, the one you saw, could it be a Michael B ring? I know he has similar style with 2 row pave, but his stuff is sooo much more though. I feel a big hiked up and I think the I tried it on once, because the way the pave was set, it felt rough? Or maybe I was just trying to convince myself to save money for DH
21.gif
, I am such a good person!
25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results