shape
carat
color
clarity

newbie needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

premabs2

Rough_Rock
I am on the diamond learning curve. I've come across a round 1.56 H vS2 with depth/table of 59.5 and 56. Polish and sym are good. Medium Flourescence. The jeweler claims it is an ideal cut. I have read that a little blue would actually help whiten the H color. Is that a sales pitch or true? WHat do you think of the stone and approximately how much should such a diamond cost? Sorry, I didn't get any other measurements yet.

Thanks!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The color / fluoro thing is correct.
The %'s could be OK.
Try to get the crown and pavilion angles - but this may be hard depending on where you are.
Does the stone have a certificate?
Consider getting an Ideal-scope
www.ideal-scope.com

Do a price search on the pricescope link above, but reemember that online stones are usually less than reaal stones in stores because there are more costs and services.

premabs2

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. There is a GIA certificate. Polish and symmetry are good. I don't have the angles or the dimensions. If it is an ideal cut, what should the dimensions look like?

Also, I am considering a plat. setting with 1.2 TCW baguette and round side diamonds. Any thoughts on the diamond/setting combination?

By the way, I am amazed at the knowledge and expertise that you "regulars" show on this forum. Thanks for the priceless expertise!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/30/2002 9:37:09 AM

Also, I am considering a plat. setting with 1.2 TCW baguette and round side diamonds. Any thoughts on the diamond/setting combination?

By the way, I am amazed at the knowledge and expertise that you "regulars" show on this forum. Thanks for the priceless expertise!
----------------

As people on this board will tire of my proclaimation, I LOVE Fluor. I can not tell you for sure; but I just set my "I" color stone in a 3 stone platinum vatche setting and WOW - I had emailed the goldsmith the specs on the stone. His comment when he was setting at his bench was "what color was this again"? I said "I"....he turned w/ a very perplexed look and I responded "It has strong blue Fluor". HIs response "Oh, that's why it faces up so white".

The look & feel of platinum is incredible. I had little experience w/ the metal before.

As an aside Leonid, I had a discussion w/ the goldsmith about plat vs white gold. Seems we were both right. Vintage white gold is not the same as the white gold produced today. Vintage white gold will retain its whiteness (as my old rings are proof) Today, unless you get a white gold w/ the appropriate alloys - which they just don't seem to make anymore - it doesn't look good after a while. Certain regions of output are worse than others. I trusted his view as it seems that was just our findings.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi fire&ice,

Cool name. :) I agree 100% with your assessment on fluorescence too. Congrats on your Vatche 3 stone ring too ... that ring really rocks. There are many people who are paranoid about fluorescence. My general advice is as long as the fluorescence doesn't affect the transparency of the diamond and you love everything else about the stone ... GO FOR IT. :)

Peace,
Rhino

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Premabs, you may want to peruse our chapters on cut. Feel free to use these chapters for all their worth. www.goodoldgold.com/cut.htm

Peace,
Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results