shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needs advice...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello! I am a recent lurker here and after thinking that I would only be happy with a superbly cut round brilliant, my mind is now mush! I have always LOVED the pillowy cushion shape, but feared I would never be satisfied with its fire, sparkle, etc. After studying quite a bit over the last week I am wondering if I could get the cushion of my dreams...... I have read about the square H and A, the Jubilee, and several superideal cut rounds. Like I said, my mind is now mush! Some questions---

Will a squarish cushion have a similar face up size as a brilliant?
Do the square H and A and Jubilee look flat across the top like a brilliant?
Does the larger faceting of the cushions require a higher clarity grade for "eye clean"?
Can a very well cut cushion allow for a lower color grade? even in natural light? Will it have fire/sparkle in natural light?

I think I am a bit color sensitive...when looking at rounds I prefer G to H and generally don''t like I''s. Would that hold true with a well cut cushion? I have in mind something between 1.6 and 2.0 cts, but need to stay under 15K. Is this possible and still get a rock that "rocks"!?

Sorry so long, but my head is swirling. Unfortunately, I don''t live close to GOG or I would definitely go there to see in person!

Thanks for any help.
Liz

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 1:34:54 PM
Author:rainierinspring
Hello! I am a recent lurker here and after thinking that I would only be happy with a superbly cut round brilliant, my mind is now mush! I have always LOVED the pillowy cushion shape, but feared I would never be satisfied with its fire, sparkle, etc. After studying quite a bit over the last week I am wondering if I could get the cushion of my dreams...... I have read about the square H and A, the Jubilee, and several superideal cut rounds. Like I said, my mind is now mush! Some questions---

Will a squarish cushion have a similar face up size as a brilliant? Depends on the diameters of the diamonds, those are what to compare.
Do the square H and A and Jubilee look flat across the top like a brilliant?
Does the larger faceting of the cushions require a higher clarity grade for 'eye clean'? Not necessarily, you can look at SI clarities ( GIA graded), some will be eyeclean even in larger diamonds.
Can a very well cut cushion allow for a lower color grade? even in natural light? Will it have fire/sparkle in natural light? Diamonds can only work with the available lighting, cut is what provides sparkle and fire, not the colour grade. Some like the icy white colourless, others prefer the softer H I or J grades( GIA), as long as the cushion is well cut it will be beautiful.

I think I am a bit color sensitive...when looking at rounds I prefer G to H and generally don't like I's. Would that hold true with a well cut cushion? I have in mind something between 1.6 and 2.0 cts, but need to stay under 15K. Is this possible and still get a rock that 'rocks'!? I would suggest looking at H and higher, graded as above if you have seen I colour and it isn't for you.

Sorry so long, but my head is swirling. Unfortunately, I don't live close to GOG or I would definitely go there to see in person! If you find a cushion you like on GOG's website, maybe Jon could make a video for you if you ask him.

Thanks for any help.
Liz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results