shape
carat
color
clarity

newbie needing some advice on ebay ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

klicks

Rough_Rock
I have found a ring I like on ebay.. but am a liitle worried about being ripped off.. the seller has a 60 rating with no real complaints.. but at 2500 bucks.. I would like some form of protection to being ripped off.. any suggestions.. seller will not use an escrow as she is afraid of being ripped off by them.. ( I don''t know why)

Diamond has an igi card
any advice would be most welcome..seller is near St. Louis. .I am up in Wa. state.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
in general, i don''t trust ebay for jewelry. there are 2 reputable companies that sell on ebay and both have stores too. DiamondsbyLauren and Signedpieces. If you are buying from and individual there is a chance you might find a deal. what kind of ring are you looking at. For $2500 we might be able to find you something similar that comes from an online vendor.

klicks

Rough_Rock
Diamond is a brilliant cut round

measurement 6.84 - 6.86 x 4.2 mm
weight 1.29 ct
color (h-i)
clarity si(1) si(2)
pol/sym good/good

from the igi card for the diamond.. it is in a platinum mounting ring

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
I''ve done alot of shopping on ebay for expensive items, including jewelry. I have gotten some GREAT deals, however I am very careful.

The most successful purchases I have had have been through Signed Pieces or when I have known exactly what I am purchasing--such as name brand jewelry that I have already tried on and know that I like it, and I know where the authenticity markings are.

Good luck!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d be leary, but then again that''s me. I''d rather buy from a seller that I knew, etc... Good luck!!

staci76

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve purchased a lot of jewelry on eBay and been very fortunate but I, like crafftygrrl, am extremely careful before purchasing anything. I have purchased from individual sellers on eBay and received wonderful deals but you have to ask a lot of questions & ask for more pictures of the item if necessary. I''ve asked for more pictures only to find out that the item really is not as nice as the listed eBay pic(s) / description suggests. If they aren''t willing to work with you to help you decide, then you probably don''t want to buy from them anyway (especially for a higher priced item)...

I don''t see why the seller would be worried about using an official eBay escrow service (this seems kind of fishy to me). Also, I''m not so sure that the diamond in question is worth the $2500 asking price as far as eBay goes...meaning, if you look around on eBay, I think you might be able to find a better cut (for $2500 I''m not thrilled with: pol/sym "good/good" or with the general color & clarity listings "color (h-i), clarity si(1) si(2)") for a similar or lesser price if you have the patience & time to search eBay and wait for something that''s just what you''re looking for to be listed by a proven seller.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is... quite past the range of ''good deal''. I can''t begin to imagine what could possibly account for the price.
7.gif

That description must be too good to be true for the money, and $2500 is not exactly disposable trash for me.

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
One would be crazy NOT to consider jewelry purchases from Ebay, granted you need to use common sense and smarts. I have purchased many, many, beautiful high end pieces, and have considerable experience both buying and selling. I would only buy a "diamond" ring from a private party and WITH a Gia or AGS cert, and IF the price was a steal. You do need to be careful and read the feedback, and look at things carefully. How honorable is this person? You need to read carefully, because sometimes people will misrepresent something. If you are lucky they underrepresent how great something is, take bad pictures, and you can literally get a "steal". Personally for me I would not purchase a high ticket diamond on Ebay, unless I could have an expert give me more info, or the price was way, way, way, worth the risk, with all things I mentioned considered.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That diamond is pretty darn small for a 1.29c stone...a well-cut one would be more like 7.05-7.10mm diameter...what you have there probably looks even smaller than a 1.20c stone most likely.

So it may be a diamond yes, and it may be an H SI2....or maybe it''s an I I1 or who knows, but will it sparkle? Will it look beautiful? Alot of that has to do with how well it was cut...and this stone sounds like it''s not going to be cut all that well just from the diameter...it already looks smaller than it should. What are you getting for that $2500. That''s nothing to sneeze at....

I really believe that when it seems too good to be true it probably is. There are reasons that people can have good deals on things but I''d pass on this one.

klicks

Rough_Rock
thanks for all the feedback.. I have decided to pass on this one.. back to the drawing board. .but now I have you folks to get feedback off of.. thanks again..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results