shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie need some help.. Prices etc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

say

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am shopping for an engagement ring. I have found the ring, but have to decide on the stone. I tried to read as much as possible, even with my engineering background, it is still very confusing to me. :) So I need your expert opinions.

Prices: I know this can be very subjective, but I have decided on the AGS triple 0 grade, so this might make things easier?

Are these reasonable price for AGS triple 0? ( I will try to get the other information, depth, girdle, cutlet, table etc.)

1. .71 D VS2 $3,995 ideal T-0
2. .75 E VS1 $4,460 ideal T-0
3. .76 F VS2 $3,975 ideal T-0
4. .76 F VS1 $4,575 ideal T-0

Another dealer quoted me a "non-negotiable" price of 20% above rap sheet for AGS triple 0. Is this better?

1st technical question: Does all AGS triple 0 stone exhibits the H&A phenomenon? I read on this website that AGS does not guarantee H&A in their grading since it does not really determine how a diamond will look except under the special scope. But I also read that H&A are highly symmetrical, that’s why they show the H&A phenomenon. Doesn''t AGS triple 0 stone has "ideal" symmetry? If it does, it should naturally exhibit the phenomenon. I am asking this because, I do not want to pay extra for "H&A", I feel like it is all marketing/branding.

2nd techinical question: I have seen stones and their certifications. However, there are some stones with no inscription. For these stone with no inscription on the girdle, whats the link between the stone and the piece of paper. Can a dealer just give you a certification and then an inferior stone, since there is no way to link the stone to the paper? If there is inscription, atleast you can match the number on the stone to the paper.

Appreciate your time. Thanks.
Say

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Say,

Welcome to Pricescope.

For comparables...look above under Prices...see various databases. I like the seach by cut for easy and selective comparing...but the others can be helpful, too. This, for an example, is an easy comparable...probably close enough to what you've found, if you like your vendor. AGS 0 is a smart way to approach making more negligible known differences.

Re #1...your likelihood of getting arrows, and hearts, will increase with this more premium certification. The actual visual benefit for getting the hearts, etc. may not be substantively different than paying for a D vs F...but in smaller sizes, the variances are not huge for cost to get either.

Also, I believe the certificate will finely plot your inclusions, to help id the diamond. But...I think all AGS 0s will have inscriptions, no?

Sorry, not an expert. Sounds like you're doing swell.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2007 6:13:18 PM
Author:say

Hi, I am shopping for an engagement ring. I have found the ring, but have to decide on the stone. I tried to read as much as possible, even with my engineering background, it is still very confusing to me. :) So I need your expert opinions.

Prices: I know this can be very subjective, but I have decided on the AGS triple 0 grade, so this might make things easier?

Are these reasonable price for AGS triple 0? ( I will try to get the other information, depth, girdle, cutlet, table etc.)

1. .71 D VS2 $3,995 ideal T-0
2. .75 E VS1 $4,460 ideal T-0
3. .76 F VS2 $3,975 ideal T-0
4. .76 F VS1 $4,575 ideal T-0

Another dealer quoted me a ''non-negotiable'' price of 20% above rap sheet for AGS triple 0. Is this better?

1st technical question: Does all AGS triple 0 stone exhibits the H&A phenomenon? I read on this website that AGS does not guarantee H&A in their grading since it does not really determine how a diamond will look except under the special scope. But I also read that H&A are highly symmetrical, that’s why they show the H&A phenomenon. Doesn''t AGS triple 0 stone has ''ideal'' symmetry? If it does, it should naturally exhibit the phenomenon. I am asking this because, I do not want to pay extra for ''H&A'', I feel like it is all marketing/branding.

2nd techinical question: I have seen stones and their certifications. However, there are some stones with no inscription. For these stone with no inscription on the girdle, whats the link between the stone and the piece of paper. Can a dealer just give you a certification and then an inferior stone, since there is no way to link the stone to the paper? If there is inscription, atleast you can match the number on the stone to the paper.

Appreciate your time. Thanks.
Say
Use the Price Comparison feature under Prices, which you can search by AGS 0.

All AGS 0 will feature some type of optical symmetry (ie, arrows,) because contrast is one of the factors of light performance. Ideal symmetry-/->arrows. Arrows may not be perfect, and hearts are not part of the grading at all.

carotene

Rough_Rock
Also not a pro Say, but I wouldn''t pay too much attention to the dealers rap reports. They determine pricing between dealers but unless your a pro and know exactly what you''re doing, they can make up anything they want based on the rap sheet pricing.

As a fellow engineer, i''m also a stickler for the numbers. Read the certifications for the stones if available. Each cert should have a diamond profile with depth %, table %, crown angle, and pavilion angle. Plug these numbers into the HCA calculator on this site. Don''t use the crown and pavilion %, they are less accurate.

If you pick a stone without the laser inscribed ID, you will still be able to ID by the inclusions. Plus, you should have your ring appraised for insurance reasons. Appraisers can do a quick cert verification for cheaper than a full stone evaluation.

Many on this board will tell you that cut is the most important of the 4 C''s. It took me a while to fight this fact, but I caved in the end and made cut #1 priority :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results