shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie looking for opinions on sapphire ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I''m so glad I found this site. What a wealth of information! I''m looking to replace my wedding ring and want to go with a sapphire, either blue or yellow. I think I''ve narrowed it down to a couple options, but I''m not sure what I like best and was hoping to get some opinions to help me make up my mind. My taste runs somewhat modern, not too frilly or intricate, and a little bit different from the norm, so if you have ideas other than what I''ve listed, I''m all ears!

Option #1 - This blue sapphire ring from Color Symphony: Princess Cut Sapphire/Diamond Ring
Does the sapphire look like it''s got decent color and cut? Does the ring look well made? I really like the style, my only hesitation is that the stone is a bit smaller than I''d ideally like. Would a 5.7mm stone look too small on my size 8 finger?

Option #2 - Buy a stone and have a setting made.
I must have looked at hundreds of settings, but haven''t found "the one" yet. Here are two that are closest to what I envision (I hope my picture shows up). I''m open to either a round or princess cut, either yellow or blue. If I use a blue stone, I''d want white gold for the entire ring. If I go with a yellow stone, I''d like the bezel to be yellow and the rest of the ring to be white. I could easily do away with the side diamonds if I need to. I was thinking about maybe a stone from Richard Homer and a setting made by Wink Jones/Winfield''s. I''d like to keep the cost to no more than $4,000 - do you think a custom ring is doable on this budget?

Thanks for your help.

p2_ring_ideas.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
A custom ring is certainly doable with your budget, but make sure you've explored all the other "less complicated" options first. To answer your questions about that ring from the link you provided, the stone looks decent (but not spectacular IMO), and the setting...does not. Nothing wrong with the style or design, but you asked if it was well made. I don't think it is, and here are a few pointers as to why I think so.

1) If you look at the first from seven pictures at the bottom of the page (first one from left, top row), you can notice two things - that bezel isn't nicely done, which is especially visible looking at it's top left corner, and that the ring could've been polished better (see the metal portion between the center stone and the first diamond to the right). Polishing isn't a big deal, but poor bezeling is - heck, for that amount I'd even insist on a great polish.

2) On the next photo (2nd from the left, top row) you can spot at least two flaws; the top left corner of the first diamond left from the center sticking out of the line (which is also noticable on the middle photo in the bottom row), and the same with a lower right corner of the 2nd diamond right from the center.

I'm sure other's will spot some other things as well, but this is enough for now
1.gif

Whether a certain stone would be too small/big for your hand depends on the design of the whole ring. You can put a small stone on a larger finger and if it's surrounded by a lot of accent stones and set in a heavy-looking setting, you can pull it off.

P. S. I'd recommend a round stone over a princess cut one, as there's less risk of damage with the rounds (no corners to smash onto something).

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
mr. ma re, thanks so much for the pointers. I thought something might be out-of-whack with one of the diamonds, but I didn''t notice the second one, or the top left corner of the bezel. I guess that takes this ring out of the running, which is good - one decision made.

When you say to make sure I''ve explored all other "less complicated" options, I take that to mean either an already completed ring, or a stone and an existing setting?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I prefer to find the center stone separately then get the setting for it:
1. Able to choose the colour, size and other qualities without constraint
2. Not limited to whatever stone the completed ring comes with
3. Easier to shop when the two are looked at individually

I recommend staying away from a princess cut unless it is completely bezeled. The tips/corners have a tendency to chip easily.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
By less complicated I meant the exact opposite of what Chrono suggested - getting a finished ring
9.gif
OK, it''s meant as kind of a joke, but only because some of the PS''ers tried to get the loose stone first and ended up looking for it for months - just the stone, without even starting to think about the setting. So, seriously now, in some cases getting a finished piece might be less complicated, especially if you find something that speaks to you right away. But if you''re not drawn to anything already made (and are not in a hurry), absolutely do go custom, or buy the stone and the finished setting separately.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ma Re,
You are just too naughty today. The reason some PSers take forever to get just the stone is because they are too picky, namely ME!
9.gif

Off-topic,
Are you in the who''s who yet? If not, I''d like to invite you there to share some history, if you don''t mind.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 8:27:46 AM
Author: Chrono
Ma Re,
You are just too naughty today. The reason some PSers take forever to get just the stone is because they are too picky, namely ME!
9.gif

Off-topic,
Are you in the who''s who yet? If not, I''d like to invite you there to share some history, if you don''t mind.
Maybe I''m blind, but I can''t seem to figure out where "who''s who" is? I don''t exactly qualify for Ladies in waiting...
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results