shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie looking for opinions on new project

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

knitwit

Rough_Rock
My hubby has gifted me with my choice RHR for my birthday within our allowable birthday budget. I have found three stones in that budget range so far and I''m looking for some feedback.

I love the asscher cut and had been looking for one in either pink or purple (my birthstone is amethyst) or perhaps even a brown with a pink undertone if I were lucky enough to happen upon one. Setting-wise I would love a split shank ala'' Pokey special but in the LOGR price range.

Opinions/suggestions are welcome and wanted.

purplepink.jpg

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
What kind of cut are those? I like them all but pink is my fav!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So you want an asscher or are those Barions ok too?

knitwit

Rough_Rock
I like the Barion cuts I think they are quite beautiful but my first choice would be an asscher... if I can find one.

But just to pick the brains of those of you who''d like to weigh in...

Do you think a Barion cut works in a "pokey" split shank type setting? Or would an asscher work better? And if so, do you think one color works better or is just personal preference? Any setting would definitely be white gold. I''ve been looking at the LOGR settings but have only seen one split shank so far.

Can you tell how decided I am??? LOL

knitwit

Rough_Rock
Here are the LOGR settings I am considering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cushion-9X9mm-Pave-Diamond-14k-Gold-Semi-Mount-Ring_W0QQitemZ370168141980QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGemstone_Rings?hash=item370168141980&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14 or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Emerald-9X9mm-Pave-Diamond-14k-Gold-Semi-Mount-Ring_W0QQitemZ370167645227QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGemstone_Rings?hash=item370167645227&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 8:02:20 PM
Author: knitwit

I like the Barion cuts I think they are quite beautiful but my first choice would be an asscher... if I can find one.

But just to pick the brains of those of you who''d like to weigh in...

Do you think a Barion cut works in a ''pokey'' split shank type setting? Or would an asscher work better? And if so, do you think one color works better or is just personal preference? Any setting would definitely be white gold. I''ve been looking at the LOGR settings but have only seen one split shank so far.

Can you tell how decided I am??? LOL

Ooh those are lovely - that hot pink is my favorite though!

I think a barion should be fine and would look good. Unless you have your heart set on an asscher (which would also look fantastic). As far as colors, I lean towards brighter ones like that hot pink, because I like the contrast between that and the white metal but I think any color really would look fine as long as it''ll go well with the white gold itself.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
There is a GORGEOUS split shank at Natural Sapphire Co. but it''s significantly more expensive than an LOGR. But I wanted to mention it since I wasn''t sure what your budget was.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the hot pink one on the right, even though it has a concave like cut. Asschers are step cuts and don't look quite like that, if you are looking specifically for an asscher cut. If you scroll down a little on the link, you'll see a pink asscher spinel.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/colour-me-pink.61549/page-2

On a serious note, if you really like asscher cuts, I'd go with pink. An amethyst might be too dark for an asscher cut which also deepens the colour due to the extra depth of the cut. I think it would also have to be custom cut because there's so few ready cut asschers for sale.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto Chrono.

I think that asschers really need to be made from lighter colored rough, because if it''s medium or darker the steps just don''t show up the way they should.

I really like that pink barion though. It''s a lovely hot pink!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I'd go with a pink asscher, cause with all the blingy diamonds around it:
- pink barion wouldn't stand out much
- purple asscher (as mentioned) wouldn't show off the cut
- barion amethyst might end up too dark, cause barions are quite deep cuts usually used for lighter materials.

BTW, I like the second LOGR more, cause the first one's shank would draw too much attention away from the stone.

knitwit

Rough_Rock
BEG...I did check out their site but couldn''t find prices..they most likely are more than my budget but it''s always nice to have options for future projects, doncha think?
31.gif

knitwit

Rough_Rock
OOOOH Chrono that is one amazing pink asscher...you''re not wanting to part with that little lassie, are you?
28.gif

knitwit

Rough_Rock
Chrono, Freke and Ma re: Your point about the color depth of the amethyst obscuring the step cuts in an asscher cut are well taken but what if it looked like this:

amethystassher.jpg

knitwit

Rough_Rock
Here''s another that is more representative of the color according to the vendor:

amethysassher2.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 7:56:43 AM
BEG...I did check out their site but couldn''t find prices..they most likely are more than my budget but it''s always nice to have options for future projects, doncha think?
31.gif

Oh it''s such a pain, that site. I used to email for quotes, but now I figured out that if you click on the tab that says "choose a stone" and go ahead and find a stone with the same approx. dimensions as yours, it''ll come up with a total - setting price, stone price, and total price. So you can estimate from there.

And yes! Very fun for future projects - there''s a split shank on there that I''m dying to get when I can afford it
2.gif

Chrono, that asscher is incredible.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 8:06:59 AM
Here's another that is more representative of the color according to the vendor:

That's from Peter's site, I'm guessing? Or if not, it sure looks like his amethyst - I love it.

I think that one might be light enough to show the steps. It really is a beautiful stone - are you fine with that shade of purple?

EDIT: You know that asscher would look KILLER in a rose gold split shank?
9.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That is a pretty stone.

knitwit

Rough_Rock
Yes it is from Peter''s site...
9.gif
good eye BEG

I really do like the lavender color. It''s pastel but not washed out. It probably would look nice in a rose gold but I really prefer white gold to wear. I actually have a yellow gold/rose gold setting that I might use for a future project. But it was given to me by my ex so I''m not even sure I feel comfortable wearing it but its a round bezel so it wouldn''t work for this project anyway.

thanks for the tip on figuring out the price range. I''ll give that a whirl and see. The LOGR split shank, the second one, is probably more in line with my price range. I would have the diamonds upgraded, as suggested by several on here but the head size is wrong (9MM vs stone 6.5MM) and I''d also to have it resized.

I''m thinking that perhaps if I keep looking, the vendor might post up one with either my ring size or the head size I need. Anyone have thoughts on that prospect?

knitwit

Rough_Rock
Chrono...

How did you end up setting your asscher? I looked for a thread but came up empty. I''d love to see your end product.
9.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
happy B day :) I like all of them, especially the pink one and the purple one. The purple one seems a little more unique. What type of stone is the pink one?

knitwit

Rough_Rock
Thanks for birthday wishes Kitten...the pinks are both Tourmaline and he purples are both amethyst.Which pink and which purple are you liking?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the more intense colors of the first two. The asscher cut one on the hand is a nice cut. The color is very delicate and feminine but I just don''t like the lavender/pink as much ( is that one also a tourmaline?).

ma re

Ideal_Rock
The one on the hand is very nice indeed!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 12:29:35 PM
Author: ma re
The one on the hand is very nice indeed!
Ditto, take it from me - Mr Toracca cuts a beautiful asscher. Have you seen his latest Peridot?

knitwit

Rough_Rock
Is that one showing on his site now or a different one? You have a Peter cut asscher don''t you gailey?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That light amethyst asscher looks good; not too dark so you''ll be able to see the steps quite well. For a stone like that, it has to be prong set to allow maximum light exposure.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Knitwit and BEG,
Thanks for the compliments on my pink asscher spinel. It''s being set as we speak. It''ll be in white gold with the Taffin design as inspiration. The only difference is that there''s no diamonds down the shank. There are only two large prongs holding the sides, with a very thin basket on the underside to hold the two sides of the ring together.

Taffin Asscher.jpg

knitwit

Rough_Rock
It''s going to look spectacular Chrono...you must be SO excited. I can''t wait to see your hand shots.
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 8:34:29 PM
It's going to look spectacular Chrono...you must be SO excited. I can't wait to see your hand shots.
36.gif
Thanks. I can't wait to see it; my jeweller said it'll be ready sometime next week!

Have you decided on which stone to get?

knitwit

Rough_Rock
Yep I did... I pulled the trigger on the Amethyst Asscher. I am so excited to finally have an Asscher cut stone. Peter is shipping it out on Monday. Can''t wait to see it IRL.

Now for the setting....there is a gem show not far from our house today so hubby and I thought we''d scout it out to see if anything might catch my eye. Otherwise I am going to be searching for a setting for my new baby.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results