shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie looking for help to purchase oval diamond

zosch

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody,

My name is Max and I'm fairly new to the diamond game (And with fairly I mean total beginner :confused: ) However, it's that time of my life that I started looking for a center stone for my girlfriend's engagement ring. Luckily, she really wants to be part of process so I have to do a little bit less guessing :angel:

After doing some initial research and talking to her, I was able to slightly narrow it down to the following specs:

Shape: Oval
Color: I+
Cut: The oval equivalent to a round 'Ideal' cut or better - Somewhere around: Table 53%-64%, 58%-66% Depth, 1.35-1.5 Ratio, Very Thin-thick Girdle (However, given that there are no real norms, I was hoping to follow your recommendations)
Clarity: VS2+
Carat: Flexible but I was hoping to land somewhere around 2.2c (With 2c being the minimum if feasible with my budget)

Budget: I was planning to allocate around $14.5k-$17k for the stone (If possible with the specs above). I'd love to stay under my max. budget but am willing to compromise for that perfect stone.

Please note that I arrived at those spec mostly from my research so I'm totally open to suggestions what aspects are less important or if I should prioritize differently.

So far, I found two stones that I believe are fitting my criteria:

1) https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/2.27-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-2539062

2) http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut-loose-diamond-3719466.htm

Especially the one from JA seems like a great fit (Unfortunately it's located overseas and the JA rep couldn't provide me with an ASET).

I hope this is enough info to get started. I welcome any kind of feedback and really appreciate you guys helping me out!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The JA stone is lovely...nice choice. It will have a black arrow going through the center when you look at it straight on. Some people
dont like this so we try to shy away from them but if it is not offensive to you great.

I tried to find something a little higher on the color scale (G/H) but the price seems to jump several thousands and the stones were
a little smaller. Are you ok sure you're good with an "I" colored oval?

Like this is a nice H but as you can see its more expensive and smaller...you're trading color for size (which is totally fine as long
as you're good with an "I".)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/2.00-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-2564793

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree with tyty333 about color since it is more apparent in fancy shapes, do you know if she is color sensitive? If it bothers her down the road, the good thing about JA is they accept trade in upgrades for stones they sell - most vendors only accept trade ins for their signature round cuts.

By the way, tyty333's pick is gorgeous, if you can, get them to send over ASETs for both stones so you can compare.

zosch

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate your input. I sent a request to JA for an ASET for the new stone proposed. Unfortunately, the one I found doesn't have an ASET available.

In regards to color: I did think about the color, especially since it's an oval stone but my girlfriend wants to create a 14k yellow gold setting at a later point so I was hoping I would be ok. Do you guys believe it will still be significantly more yellowish?

Also, thanks for bringing up the bow tie. I noticed it as well but I was hoping that it's not as intrusive once the stone is set and that it can only be seen if you really look from close up from certain angles. Is that correct or will it be very visible?

Thanks again,
Max

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will basically only see the black bow-tie straight on. If you tilt the stone it should go away (or light up).

zosch

Rough_Rock
That's good news! I'm mostly concerned with the look once it's in a setting and worn, rather than how it looks solo. Do you think the I color will be an issue/ very noticeable even though we're going for a gold setting?

zosch

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, both diamonds aren't available any longer :/

I guess I'll have to act quicker when trying to buy an oval diamond in that category. Would you guys say JA is the best place to look or are Blue Nile, Whiteflash, etc. equally good?

Also, is I acceptable given that the setting will be 14k yellow gold or will it still appear yellow-ish?

Thanks again!!

zosch

Rough_Rock
Anybody who can tell me more about the color? Will I be acceptable (Not really noticeable) for an oval ideal cut diamond given that it is set in 14k gold?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone's tolerance for color is different...while fancy cuts do show more color than a round diamond, some people don't mind the warmth. It will really depend on you/your intended's preference but I'd personally think an H would be a safer choice in an oval...even in yg.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have worked with both JA and GoodOldGold before: JA has a pretty good price and trade in policy for fancies, but less analysis of the stones. GOG is a bit more expensive but provides you with an amazing amount of details and analysis.

I have heard a lot of amazing things about IDJ jewelry getting beautiful stones at reasonable prices, and Wink at high performance diamonds seem to be highly regarded on the forum. Maybe try reaching out to them?

As for color, ac117 is right, it is really very much dependent on the individual. The bigger you go, the more apparent color will be. Some people really like the tint of warmth while others love the icy-white look.

You could get the stone you selected shipped to an independent appraiser in your town to have a look with your girlfriend and see what she thinks about the color? If it doesn't work out you could always return it within the period. Most PS vendors I know are willing to do that.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a color snob. I went for color over clarity. I have an oval and the inclusions are not visible to the eye. I love ovals!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
zosch|1489120405|4138723 said:
Unfortunately, both diamonds aren't available any longer :/

I guess I'll have to act quicker when trying to buy an oval diamond in that category. Would you guys say JA is the best place to look or are Blue Nile, Whiteflash, etc. equally good?

Also, is I acceptable given that the setting will be 14k yellow gold or will it still appear yellow-ish?

Thanks again!!

Are you sure they are not on hold for you? They usually put them on-hold when people request asets for them.

aftereffects15

Rough_Rock
It's probably just being held for you :)

I looked for an oval diamond and jamesallen + enchanteddiamonds were definitely the best ones. I paid $200 deposit fee for Good Old Gold and was disappointed with the selections they were pushing on me. Maybe try IDJewelry?

zosch

Rough_Rock
I double checked and unfortunately they sold them to somebody else :( But that's ok, was supposed to be and I'm sure it will make somebody else happy :) I'll keep an eye out on JA and also found this beauty at ID Jewelers

http://idjewelry.com/oval-knd02309.html

What do you think? Unfortunately, the picture doesn't work so I had to send a message.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
zosch|1489266026|4139336 said:
I double checked and unfortunately they sold them to somebody else :( But that's ok, was supposed to be and I'm sure it will make somebody else happy :) I'll keep an eye out on JA and also found this beauty at ID Jewelers

http://idjewelry.com/oval-knd02309.html

What do you think? Unfortunately, the picture doesn't work so I had to send a message.

If there is no picture we cant really say much about it...why do you think its a beauty?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I'm not a fan of this one...the faceting through the center is just too blocky (before it goes into the mushy area).

What do you think of it?

I prefer my centers more like a round brilliant with the facets stretching out towards the rounded ends as far as possible.
(you might prefer different)

So ignore the color/clarity on these and just look at the faceting pattern
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.30-carat-k-color-si2-clarity-sku-2438616
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.21-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-2525280
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.30-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-sku-2539755

You need to look at a lot of ovals (JA is good for this) then tell/show Yuketiel what you are looking for so he knows what to bring in.

Edit...look at the faceting pattern on the clarity plot for this stone. Its a 4 main. I think that is what the stone you are looking at is.
I prefer 8 main.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.60-carat-k-color-si1-clarity-sku-1865519 4 main
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.21-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-2525280 vs 8 main

zosch

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for bringing that up! I somehow didn't even realize it. Oh my god, I'm so lost...

Definitely love the 8 faceted waaay more than the one from ID Jewelry. Guess I'll have to continue looking...

I also got the follow 2 GIA certificates sent by a local jewelry store.. prices seem good but I'm worried if the cuts are good (One a little too shallow imo). Still waiting for pictures..

1) $16,900
51113487614__dd007eab-f035-486a-87e7-cf2089c3d04f.jpg

2) $15,444
51113481555__16f03765-cdc2-4f81-9cb4-8256367aea89.jpg

zosch

Rough_Rock
Is an oval shaped diamond with a 55.9% depth too shallow? I'm still waiting for pictures but other sides claim that those below 58% should be ruled out w/o further consideration

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results