shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Looking For Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pittsadam

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, I've been lurking for a few weeks and have learned a lot just by looking at pictures and reading some articles. Here's my situation. I'm looking to get the e-ring in the next month or so. I am just gonna go with a solitaire setting. The lucky lady has said that's what she likes. So I went to a jeweler a friend recommended to me and he showed me a diamond and "sold" me on it. But I hadn't bought it yet b/c of some financial hardship.

Anyway, since then I've done more research and don't feel good about the jeweler anymore. Last time I went I asked if they had a GIA report on the diamond, rather than an EGL and they got notably stand-off ish. Additionally, he had sworn to me that the ring he made for me would be kept in his safe until I was ready to buy, and when I went by it was on display in his case priced to sell. So all of this, combined with my research, has made me want to go else where. I feel bad about it, since he made the ring for me, but not too bad because he obviously has no qualms about selling my ring without telling me 1st.

The stone he was selling me was ...

.86 ct.
E color
SI2 (but the inclusions were barely visible even w. a loupe)
good polish
good symmetry

I don't remember the numbers but the diamond price was something like $3400 and had an EGL cert.

My dissatisfaction with him led me to look online and I found this page.

Basically what I want is a stone that is around a carat, perhaps right below due to the cost savings of a .90 as opposed to a 1.0 ct stone. I want to find the most beautiful, shiny, stone I can at that size. I've done the diamond searches on here and the pictures all appear that WF's diamonds look the best. To me anyway.

I know WF is a great company, but am I likely to be able to find a stone at a local jeweler that is just as shiny and sparkling but perhaps a better price? Or are WF's prices very competitive. Basically, I don't know whether I should use WF or look locally in hopes of finding something good. But I don't want good...I want the best, brightest ones that are out there.

Advice?
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/4/2009 10:10:28 AM
Author:pittsadam
Hey everyone, I''ve been lurking for a few weeks and have learned a lot just by looking at pictures and reading some articles. Here''s my situation. I''m looking to get the e-ring in the next month or so. I am just gonna go with a solitaire setting. The lucky lady has said that''s what she likes. So I went to a jeweler a friend recommended to me and he showed me a diamond and ''sold'' me on it. But I hadn''t bought it yet b/c of some financial hardship.

Anyway, since then I''ve done more research and don''t feel good about the jeweler anymore. Last time I went I asked if they had a GIA report on the diamond, rather than an EGL and they got notably stand-off ish. Additionally, he had sworn to me that the ring he made for me would be kept in his safe until I was ready to buy, and when I went by it was on display in his case priced to sell. So all of this, combined with my research, has made me want to go else where. I feel bad about it, since he made the ring for me, but not too bad because he obviously has no qualms about selling my ring without telling me 1st.

My dissatisfaction with him led me to look online and I found this page.

Basically what I want is a stone that is around a carat, perhaps right below due to the cost savings of a .90 as opposed to a 1.0 ct stone. I want to find the most beautiful, shiny, stone I can at that size. I''ve done the diamond searches on here and the pictures all appear that WF''s diamonds look the best. To me anyway.

I know WF is a great company, but am I likely to be able to find a stone at a local jeweler that is just as shiny and sparkling but perhaps a better price? Or are WF''s prices very competitive. Basically, I don''t know whether I should use WF or look locally in hopes of finding something good. But I don''t want good...I want the best, brightest ones that are out there.

Advice?
33.gif

Hi Adam,

It is cut quality which will get you a stunning diamond, so very important to concentrate on that aspect. You might find that prices of online diamonds compare favourably with those of store jewellers, the former usually being cheaper. WF and the other PS vendors are competitively priced.

If you like, post your budget and your colour and clarity preferences etc, then we can suggest some diamonds of around the 1 carat mark as you requested that might suit you?

pittsadam

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply!

I am looking for the following....

Budget: No set amount, probably between 4-6k.
Size: Between .85 and 1(ish)
Cut: Ideal
Clarity: Not supier picky, but I''d like the inclusions to not be on the center of the stone, near the edges would be nice. Anywhere from VS2 - SI2 (depending on the inclusion) would be fine)
Color: Anywhere from F-H would be fine.

Another note, I saw someone on here bought a diamond with a blue flourescence which made it have a blue tint in the sun. My girlfriend LOVES blue and I think this would be a very nice "personalization" that would mean a lot to her. The poster said someone named "Wink" helped him.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/4/2009 10:30:43 AM
Author: pittsadam
Thanks for the reply!

I am looking for the following....

Budget: No set amount, probably between 4-6k.
Size: Between .85 and 1(ish)
Cut: Ideal
Clarity: Not supier picky, but I'd like the inclusions to not be on the center of the stone, near the edges would be nice. Anywhere from VS2 - SI2 (depending on the inclusion) would be fine)
Color: Anywhere from F-H would be fine.

Another note, I saw someone on here bought a diamond with a blue flourescence which made it have a blue tint in the sun. My girlfriend LOVES blue and I think this would be a very nice 'personalization' that would mean a lot to her. The poster said someone named 'Wink' helped him.
That would be Wink Jones from www.highperformancediamonds.com Wink is the most wonderful gentleman ( we all love him here!) and you could certainly contact him to see what he can find for you. You would need to look for a diamond with at least medium blue fluorescence to notice any effect and preferably strong blue if possible.

Here is one from Wink with medium blue fluorescence, an Infinity h&a

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=355

Another one, no fluorescence with this diamond though.

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=574

Also with any SI clarity diamonds you will need to check with the vendor if the diamond is eyeclean to your standards. In other words make your expectations clear, if you don't want to see any inclusions visible from any angle, let the vendor know that so you are both on the same page.

Some more, not all have fluorescence though

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4967/

This one has strong blue below

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5234/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4584/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results