shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie looking for advice on diamond purchase

summerman

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I am a newbie and please forgive me if this sounds silly.

I am interested in buying a loose diamond to set into a pendant for my wife. I am located in Perth, Australia and I have been looking at internet 'wholesale' websites such as Bluenile, Diamonsonweb etc.. I must say that I am tempted. Before taking the plunge, I was wondering if I may get some advice from senior/experienced forum members regarding the following:

I have been filtering and looking only at GIA certified diamonds as I hear that they have the strictest of standards and are very reliable? My questions are:

1) How can I tell if the GIA certification that comes with the diamonds are genuine?
2) How can I tell that the diamond which is supplied is actually the one certified?
3) If the diamond is set into a pendant, how do I then tell that the pendant that I get back is indeed the one which is bought and certified?

Your ignorantly,
Summerman (contestant for newbie of the year award)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on the type of GIA report that comes with the stone. A dossier type report will have the report number inscribed on the girdle of the diamond but no inclusion map while a report type report will have an inclusion map and might come with a laser inscription. Both will require you to have a loupe to view the inscription or inclusions. Inclusions are like finger prints for diamond, unique for every stone, inclusions of clarity grade better than VS2 will be very difficult to spot even with a loupe. So depending on your skill level, GIA report type, size and clarity grade of the stone, you might be able to verify the stone to the grading report or not. If not, or for a stone that is very expensive, best to get an independent appraiser involved in the purchasing process.

sakari_8

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
Provide us with some more information pertaining to the diamond which you are interested in so that we can try our best to assist you in finding the right diamond. However, listed below are my thoughts, hope it helps.....
1) How can I tell if the GIA certification that comes with the diamonds is genuine?
Pen down the GIA certificate number and call GIA lab toll free number and just get it verified, if the information in the certificate which you have matches, then I guess there shouldn’t be a problem. www.gia.edu

2) How can I tell that the diamond which is supplied is actually the one certified?
Most of the diamonds have the GIA certificate# laser inscribed on them; you will mostly see this information on the Girdle with a 20x magnifying glass. If the diamond you select does not have this laser inscription then ask the vendor to get it done by GIA lab. (This may cost you some extra bucks but it is worth spending)

3) If the diamond is set into a pendant, how do I then tell that the pendant that I get back is indeed the one which is bought and certified?
Normally the vendors/ Jewelers provide you with the independent appraiser report, GIA certificate and a copy of Invoice, all you got to do once you get the product is, take it to a independent appraiser and get it appraised, If you find any discrepancy then get it check with another jeweler, again if there are any further discrepancies then just return the diamond. Simple

If I would be in your place then I would check the below details before placing an order with any online store.
Do thorough investigation before buying the diamond, check whether the online store is a recognized store and accredited by “Better Business Bureau”. Check what payment options do they offer, check their Return Policy, refund policy, shipping charges, etc.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Welcome, Summerman.

summerman|1352722703|3303887 said:
Hi all,
1) How can I tell if the GIA certification that comes with the diamonds are genuine?
You can type the report number and carat weight into this tool to confirm that the report is a valid one.
http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/

Reputable sellers are not going to risk their hard-earned reputations by swapping stones or any such nonsense. However, everyone is human. Mistakes are rare but not unheard-of. With you being out the country it's prudent to "trust - but verify." One option is using an appraiser as an intermediary. It could be a great way to ensure you're getting precisely what's ordered - as well as a separate document that's good for insurance purposes. I believe some of the appraisers who contribute on Pricescope offer such services at very reasonable rates. Have your seller send the stone directly to the appraiser for expert verification/documentation. Then make your arrangements for overseas sending with the appraiser.

If you're having it set in a pendant by the seller then using an appraiser in-between also addresses this. If you're buying the stone loose and having it set locally then have the jeweler show you the diamond under a microscope to confirm its clarity characteristics visually versus the report upon check-in (presuming you're getting a full report, not a dossier, and not an IF stone). You can verify it's the same diamond upon delivery in the same manner. I find that most reputable jewelry pros are invested in building your confidence like this.

Ultimately - the seller's representative, the appraiser and your local jeweler should treat these purchase interactions as opportunities to educate and build-trust with you along every step of the way.

summerman

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
Thanks very much for your quick response and invaluable advice. I will certainly be keeping them in mind when I take the plunge.

Using the independent appraiser makes a lot of sense to me for the added peace of mind.

Hi sakari 8,
My thoughts for specs are: ~1.5carat, G-J, very good to ideal cut, VS1-VS2 with GIA certification. I am looking to set this into a nice solitaire pendant. Any further advice/thoughts?

Thanking you,
Summerman

sakari_8

Shiny_Rock
summerman|1352753829|3304642 said:
Hi all,
Thanks very much for your quick response and invaluable advice. I will certainly be keeping them in mind when I take the plunge.

Using the independent appraiser makes a lot of sense to me for the added peace of mind.

Hi sakari 8,
My thoughts for specs are: ~1.5carat, G-J, very good to ideal cut, VS1-VS2 with GIA certification. I am looking to set this into a nice solitaire pendant. Any further advice/thoughts?

Thanking you,
Summerman

I would suggest color range between G-I as J color can appear slight yellow and None to Faint Fluorescence unless you like
fluo in the stone.

summerman

Rough_Rock
I have located one which looks pretty good to me and was wondering if anyone is able to share some thoughts:

Round 1.58ct, J, faint flouro, VS2, total depth 62.1%, diameter 7.47mm, crown angle 34.9deg, crown height 15.3%, pavilion angle 40.9deg, pavilion depth 43.3%, table size 56.8% for around US$10K

Cheers

summerman

Rough_Rock
Ok, I not sure about flouro. Some say that it a faint flouro will actually makes the stones whiter if the stone is slightly off white? Any thoughts? I have not sighted the stone that I mentioned in my earlier posting.

sakari_8

Shiny_Rock
That is true Fluo does help the stone color looks better if the color of the stone is below I, however fluo is Faint it may not
help the stone look better, you may have to see the stone in person or have the expert gemologist look at the stone and give
you feedback before buying

fanofhardrock

Rough_Rock
sakari_8|1352896342|3306176 said:
That is true Fluo does help the stone color looks better if the color of the stone is below I, however fluo is Faint it may not
help the stone look better, you may have to see the stone in person or have the expert gemologist look at the stone and give
you feedback before buying

This looks liks a slightly better option...
1.42 I SI1 H&A
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1363421.asp

When you pay duty, should be around $10k.

James Allen will allow you to call in the stone and have it viewed by pretty honest appraisers. JA will have a good price point is in AUS, which is pretty pricey for diamonds IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results