shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie looking for a little help with an engagement ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

This is my first post and I would just like to start off by thanking everyone who contributes to pricescope by posting priceless information about diamonds and jewelry.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to start searching for an engagement ring for my beautiful aussie girlfriend. She is an amazing sweet caring woman and I will do everything I can to make her happy. She has already made huge sacrifices to be with me by moving here from Australia. Luckily for me she is not materialistic and would be very happy with any ring (as long as I didn''t get it out of a gumball machine). However, I am not going to settle getting her the cheapest diamond ring out there. She deserves the best and I really want her to be thrilled with the beauty of her ring, (plus that way she can''t say no to my proposal

emteeth.gif
).

Thanks to all of the great information here, I have learned that I can avoid the B&M jewelry stores, where they try to pressure you into buying anything instead of being helpful and informative, and find a much better rock at a better price online. The vendors here seem very helpful and courteous and I''m feeling much more comfortable with buying online. I do have concerns, and I''m not sure if I should post in different forums or just throw all of my thoughts out here. I figure it can''t hurt... you all seem nice enough.

emwink.gif

Unfortunately, I am not rich, but I have about $4000 to spend (including rock and setting). I''m thinking from about 0.8 to 1.0 ct with an ideal cut (possibly H&A), with clarity of eye-clean SI1 to VS2, and H to J in color. My girlfriend likes yellow gold and it suits her skin tone better, so I''m thinking I can sacrifice a little bit on the color scale for the size and cut. Also, she has small hands so I think the size range should be big enough. I think I''m on the right track for the diamond, but I encourage any comments people may have.

I read a bit about florescense and how it makes slightly yellow colored diamonds look whiter face up and I''m wondering would it hurt, help or not make a difference with yellow gold in the setting.

The setting I''m considering is the vatche royal crown in yellow gold. I was thinking about this setting with pave or the hand engraving, but I can''t find any pictures of them in yellow gold, nor does vatche have them posted. If anyone has photos, I''d love to see them. Also, if there is another setting that is similar, that would be helpful. I heard that there are other versions of the royal crown done by other jewelers, but I don''t think I saw many.

Should I definitely see the diamond and/or setting in person before purchasing from an online vendor? It sounds like I can trust the vendors here, and I feel pretty comfortable with the idea, but I would like some advice.

Should I definitely get the diamond/ring appraised by an independent jeweler (it certainly sounds like a good idea) and how much does that cost? If so, should I use someone local or does it not really matter?

Also, what type of insurance do people get on rings?

I think that''s most of my concerns. Thanks in advance for your help!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
What a sweetheart you are!
Off the bat, both Wink Jones and Good Old Gold have stones in your range. They also both happen to carry Vatche, so the Royal Crown would be easy to do from either of them!

Wink has a 0.83 H VS2 for $3233 - I cannot access IS, but you could contact to ask for it

Good Old Gold has 0.84 I VS2 with medium blue fluoro that looks fabulous for $3,321.60 - will probably bring you to about 4K if you add in the setting - you would need to contact them for cost on the setting.

the fluoro may help the stone face up whiter, it may not matter much if you put it in a yellow gold setting, but it certainly wouldn''t hurt!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2007 7:26:33 PM
Author:pessimistic optimist

Unfortunately, I am not rich, but I have about $4000 to spend (including rock and setting). I''m thinking from about 0.8 to 1.0 ct with an ideal cut (possibly H&A), with clarity of eye-clean SI1 to VS2, and H to J in color. My girlfriend likes yellow gold and it suits her skin tone better, so I''m thinking I can sacrifice a little bit on the color scale for the size and cut. Also, she has small hands so I think the size range should be big enough. I think I''m on the right track for the diamond, but I encourage any comments people may have.
Every man thinks his girlfriend has small hands. Of course she does. If she has bigger hands than you, I''d check for surgery scars, hormone supplements, etc. I think you''re on the right track.
I read a bit about florescense and how it makes slightly yellow colored diamonds look whiter face up and I''m wondering would it hurt, help or not make a difference with yellow gold in the setting.
Do you think blue and yellow look good together?
Should I definitely see the diamond and/or setting in person before purchasing from an online vendor? It sounds like I can trust the vendors here, and I feel pretty comfortable with the idea, but I would like some advice.
I think it is not necessary, since it does not really matter what you think, it matters what she thinks. So unless she''s goingo to approve it first, then just save yourself a step.
Should I definitely get the diamond/ring appraised by an independent jeweler (it certainly sounds like a good idea) and how much does that cost? If so, should I use someone local or does it not really matter?
Sounds like a good idea to me, too. On the order of a couple hundred. Local, mail, doesn''t matter.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
To answer a few of your questions:

Your budget is fine. Don''t worry, you can get something lovely for that budget.

I love the vatche royal crown setting, it''s gorgeous and well-made! As long as she has a taste for yellow gold, then I think you will be fine with that setting.

Also, I think stones with flour in a yellow gold setting would also be very pretty.

Chubb and jewelers mututal are the big names in jewelry insurance. You can do a search for them and get some more details.

Here are a few nice stones I happened to find:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=988896
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=939103

goodoldgold sells vatche, so it might be easier to deal with them for a diamond, but either way should work:

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/2355/
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/2807/
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/2879/
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/2241/

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2007 9:00:41 PM
Author: JulieN

Date: 2/9/2007 7:26:33 PM
Author:pessimistic optimist

Unfortunately, I am not rich, but I have about $4000 to spend (including rock and setting). I'm thinking from about 0.8 to 1.0 ct with an ideal cut (possibly H&A), with clarity of eye-clean SI1 to VS2, and H to J in color. My girlfriend likes yellow gold and it suits her skin tone better, so I'm thinking I can sacrifice a little bit on the color scale for the size and cut. Also, she has small hands so I think the size range should be big enough. I think I'm on the right track for the diamond, but I encourage any comments people may have.
Every man thinks his girlfriend has small hands. Of course she does. If she has bigger hands than you, I'd check for surgery scars, hormone supplements, etc. I think you're on the right track.

I read a bit about florescense and how it makes slightly yellow colored diamonds look whiter face up and I'm wondering would it hurt, help or not make a difference with yellow gold in the setting.
Do you think blue and yellow look good together?

I think it is not necessary, since it does not really matter what you think, it matters what she thinks. So unless she's goingo to approve it first, then just save yourself a step.

Sounds like a good idea to me, too. On the order of a couple hundred. Local, mail, doesn't matter.
PO welcome to PS
35.gif

The benefits of fluorescence is a matter of opinion, speaking as someone with a lower colour diamond with it, I really think to my eyes it helps my diamond face up whiter and it adds extra interest. Also my diamond is set in yellow gold with a white gold head and it looks great. Besides a very subtle effect with some fluorescence you might not notice much unless you get to med or strong anyway, depends on your eyes. So there is no need to be wary of blue fluorescence - it has many fans here who love it and actively seek it out in their diamonds.

Also it sounds like you are on the right track with your requirements.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi Pess, welcome to PS!

First of all, $4000 is a healthy budget. You'll be able to get an amazing ring with it.

ETA: Oops! The diamond I found is a bit deep. I'll keep looking. The I, VS2 that :) found looks great too.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Welcome to Australia :)

Which state do you live in? G.Holloway''s Precious Metals is in Melbourne if you want to have a look at some quality diamonds and settings. However, it is a b&m store, so I remember him saying somewhere the prices do reflect the overheads that come along with it. However, I doubt a store would say no to a potential customer considering their work and learning about diamonds at the same time :)

Ideally, you should have a look at the diamond and setting prior to purchase. This isn''t always possible and is a priviledge that sometimes comes with the price-tag at a B&M store. However, most importantly is checking out what the refund / returns + upgrade policy is at both online and B&M stores. That''s one of the nice things about whiteflash etc... is that if you don''t like it, you can return it. It is also why the reputable stores post AGS / GIA copies of their certificates (AGS being considered superior if they have the light performance gradings / AGS0) along with the Sarin/IdealScope/ASET images which will give you a very good idea of the light performance of a stone before you buy.

GoG / Whiteflash etc... all post to Australia.

Is that $4000 US or $4000 australian you have to spend? It makes a difference but is still a nice budget for <1Ct.

Plenty of nice recommendations above. Have you thought about (provided your internet connection allows it) requesting an online one-to-one chat with one of the vendors to see what they have that may suit you?

*hint - if you''re on an Optus Cap plan etc... some mobiles have reasonable international call rates that may be part of the cap. Cheaper than using your landline occasionally*

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
tanalasta - I think they are in the US, GF moved from Australia.
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A couple of things I wanted to add... I have found Excel Diamonds who carries Vatche to have the best prices on Vatche settings. And they have nice diamonds... and if you ask, they will provide you with all the different things IS and so forth tha other vendors mentioned do.

I would take a look at them. And they are very nice to deal with... I've called them a couple of times for friend's settings and they are really great.

ETA: I would do a plat head on the YG setting... even with a J... JMO though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree, I''d always put a platinum head on a yellow gold ring. The white metal prongs are better next to the diamond. Not sure how that would look on the Royal Crown, though. I wouldn''t hesitate to do business with GOG or Wink, and I did not worry about an independent appraisal with either. The diamonds are certified and have already been graded by an unbiased expert.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that wasn't quite clear - stick to a plat or similar coloured head for the diamond, with the rest of the setting being yellow gold. I always assume that with YG settings that the diamond itself will be set in WG or plat, but maybe that should be made clearer.

Thanks for all of the advice... I haven''t replied because my girlfriend has always been around and I don''t want her to catch me looking for info about diamonds. I think she might be on to me already and I still want this to be a surprise.

I definitely like the yellow gold and platinum prongs for the Vatche Royal Crown setting (I''ve seen some very nice pics), but like I said before, I can''t find pictures of that setting with pave or with it engraved. If anyone has pictures I would very much appreciate it. I might start another post that''s short with only that question.

rjdodd was right... We are in the US. She just moved here from OZ. We''ll probably move over there at some point though, tanalasta.

diamondseeker2006 doesn''t think I need an independent appraisal besides the report already provided with the diamond, if it''s from a reliable vendor like GOG. What do others think??

Also, does anybody have anymore advice on insurance??

Thanks again for everyone''s input!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What''s the price difference between pave and engraved? The pave leaves you 2.5K for the stone, probably not many choices in .80+ for 2.5?

The pave is about 1700 and the engraved is 1300... I would be willing to spend a little more if I was sure it was that much nicer of a ring. I''m trying not to overspend too much, but it''s a once in a lifetime purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results