shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie here needs help choosing....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gtm3nky

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I recently stumbled onto this forum and found it very informative and helpful, however, I''m still not very good w/ this as there is lots of information to read. In short, I''m going to propose to my gf end of this year and I''d like to buy a ring very soon.

I''m looking for 2-2.5 carat diamond w/ about $25,000-27,000 as my current budget, but I think that means I need to sacrifice some color and clarity? What would be a good compromise as I''d like to have an ideal cut, but I''m not sure about the importance of color and clarity to the naked eye..?

My gf loves the Tiffany''s rings but I don''t think I can get a 2 carat Tffany''s ring for $27,000.....

Also, should I be buying online if I''m spending 25,000 on this ring, and which online retailers are reliable?

Can someone offer some advice pls? TIA!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone has different tolerances, but G+ SI1+ would be fine for most people. This would put you at the low end of your carat range in AGS 0 types, and to move to the mid and high ends, more allowances would have to be made.

PS is a site devoted mostly to online shopping, and it wouldn''t be as big as it is if online shopping weren''t a cost-effective, successful way to get premium cut stones. The most popular presences on PS are Whiteflash, James Allen, Good Old Gold, and Wink Jones.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

gtm3nky

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the help! I was wondering though...

Does super-ideal cut (ACA?) and ideal cut make a big visual difference? Also, have you heard anything about www.exceldiamonds.com or www.bluenile.com? They seem to have large selections of diamonds, but not sure how reliable they are.

TIA~

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 7:20:39 AM
Author: gtm3nky
Thanks again for the help! I was wondering though...

Does super-ideal cut (ACA?) and ideal cut make a big visual difference? Also, have you heard anything about www.exceldiamonds.com or www.bluenile.com? They seem to have large selections of diamonds, but not sure how reliable they are.

TIA~
Both are considered reliable, I think. Though many at BN are "virtual," ...not in house, many have probably sufficient info to give it a 30 day spin. Likewise, most (?) of Excels are in house, but some are virtual. They'll do better at bringing them in for you, and giving you their own eval. Apparently, some people are either not that friendly, or characters, etc., there, but this may be only if you rub them the wrong way. This may or may not be too hard to do. But both carry quality goods, and generally have sound reputations. Neither, however, run their options through the "search by cut" db here in Pricescope, which makes my life easier vis a vis making recommendations, so I often am too lazy to look much outside of it. But, for anyone shopping...you'd be well advised to consider both Excel, BN, and also, see about identifying an appraiser to befriend. Finally, re WF's ACA, many enthusiasts here will be qualified to answer...but per hearsay...you can't go wrong with one...and they are compared to the best of branded options...like 8 Star and such...so they're very easy to keep on your short list.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sure if this is important to you gtm, but I thought I''d add that BN has no upgrade policy, Excel does.

Also, if you don''t see what you''re looking for at one of the vendors you think you might like to go with, give them a call and see if they can find what you want. In that size range, there won''t be an abundance, might take a bit longer to find.
28.gif

gtm3nky

Rough_Rock
Thanks RegularGuy and Ellen,

I''ve looked through some of the e-tailers and I''m really liking WF because of their settings customization and it seems that their Tiffany-like 6 prong is top notch quality (of course I''m just guessing here from their website).

Re: the ACA vs Ideal Cut- i was rather asking if people could tell the difference between the two cuts... Seems ACA is a bit more expensive and just wondering if it''s worth the extra if the real world difference is negligible...
5.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 8:54:40 AM
Author: gtm3nky
Thanks RegularGuy and Ellen,

Re: the ACA vs Ideal Cut- i was rather asking if people could tell the difference between the two cuts... Seems ACA is a bit more expensive and just wondering if it''s worth the extra if the real world difference is negligible...
5.gif
The ACA is definitely held to a strict set of guidelines by the company, and that does insure a beautiful stone. However, there are definitely other Ideal/Excellent cut stones that yes, would be/are just as beautiful.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
for that budget, i would just fly to houston and make an appointment with whiteflash....

edited: make the appointment first....

also check out tiffanys, cartier, nazars, while in houston.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
I''m assuming you want a round brilliant diamond but if not...http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=515 has 2.33 carat Tiffany''s Lucida for 28,500 (I know its a budget stretch but worth looking at)

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
You mentioned you''re leaning toward Whiteflash.....here are a few potential choices:

2.06 ct, H, VS2 - Pricescope price is $24,198

2.32 ct. G, SI1 - Pricescope price on this is $27,985....so right in your range.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Another thing, too, GTM,..........

Many Price Scope Vendors will ship a diamond you choose to a PS Approved Appraiser for evaluation without requiring payment in advance.

Upper right of the page, the Resources link, you''ll see Appraisers in the drop down menu. Maybe you have a PS Approved Appraiser near where you live. You could have the diamond shipped to the appraiser. Then you could go view it live and in person before you pay.

You pay the appraiser so the appraiser works for you. If there''s a problem with the stone, they''ll tell you. And you get to see "the goods" before you turn loose of your hard earned money. It''s Win/Win.
2.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2007 12:40:21 PM
Author: aljdewey
You mentioned you''re leaning toward Whiteflash.....here are a few potential choices:

2.06 ct, H, VS2 - Pricescope price is $24,198

2.32 ct. G, SI1 - Pricescope price on this is $27,985....so right in your range.
I ditto both of these. They would be GORGEOUS.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
The other thing about excel is their Tiffany replica. It''s supposedly one of the best replicas.

gtm3nky

Rough_Rock
@ Finding_neverland: Wow I didn''t realize that option- thanks for the heads up! I may try that once I get back from my business trip.

@ others: Thanks for all your suggestions- some of those diamonds are nice :) I noticed though that two are SI1 clarity and H color. In person, could you tell the difference between SI1 vs VS1/VS2?

Also, has anyone here compared Whiteflash tiffany replica to Exceldiamonds?

TIA~ you guys have been so helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results