shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

boatnfish

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking around for a while now, and I''ve been trying to educate myself about diamond purchasing, but I still have a few questions...

I am considering buying this diamond...

GIA Cert.
Cut: Round, Brilliant
Carat: 1.28
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Girdle: Thin to Medium (non-faceted)
Table: 56%
Depth: 61%
Dimensions: 7.03x7.06x4.30
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent

My questions are:
1. How do I determine the crown height% & angle, pavillion depth% & angle?
2. Since the Table/Depth percentages are pretty much Ideal, can I assume that the crown angle, pavillion depth, etc... will be Ideal also?
3. What is a Sarin report? Is it important? What will it tell me?
4. What are the Ideal/Excellent ranges for crown height% & angle, pavillion depth% & angle?
5. Should I be concerned that the girdle is non-faceted? Any pros/cons with this?

Any info would be greatly appreciated... Also, any comment, remarks, opinions, or snide remarks
wink2.gif
about the diamond I am considering??

Thanks in advance!
-boatnfish-

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the forum Boatnfish,

1. How do I determine the crown height% & angle, pavillion depth% & angle?
A - You need a Sarin report

2. Since the Table/Depth percentages are pretty much Ideal, can I assume that the crown angle, pavillion depth, etc... will be Ideal also?
A - No, you cannot assume anything.

3. What is a Sarin report? Is it important? What will it tell me?
A - The Sarin report is what gives you the answer to your first two questions. Yes, it is important if you have graduated into the realm where you need the very best cut diamond.

4. What are the Ideal/Excellent ranges for crown height% & angle, pavillion depth% & angle?
A - According to AGS, who wrote the book on ideal cut, the crown height is variable and is ideal so long as the table is between 53-57.5% and the crown angle is between 33.7-35.8 degrees. Pavilion depth is between 42.2-43.8% and the pavilion angle is 40.15-41.20 degrees.

5. Should I be concerned that the girdle is non-faceted? Any pros/cons with this?
A - I do not have a problem with a non-faceted girdle. You can have an ideal cut diamond with or without it being faceted. So long as there is no bearding, tiny feathers, on the girdle and it is between thin and slightly thick.

This diamond looks to be, I am assuming, a very nice diamond. Enjoy!

boatnfish

Rough_Rock
Thanks dimonbob!

Your answers were very helpful and insightful! I will continue looking into the Sarin report for this stone. I appreciate your opinion and your comments.

Peace,
-boatnfish-
wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results