shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie help (pink sapphire: cushion or emerald?)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

I am new to pricescope. I''m buying my first piece of fine jewellery and I''ve settled on a pink-sapphire right hand ring.

I''m debating between a hot pink emerald cut versus a cushion cut.

I think that the color pink goes great with the romance of an antique cushion cut. But I love the clarity and elegance of emeralds.

The only concern that I have is: Are emeralds very difficult to keep clean?

Let me know what you think...
Thank you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are likely to find a smaller selection of step cut sapphires compared to a cushion cut. Also, a cushion cut will show more brilliance and liveliness due to the style of faceting over a step cut stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure why but your link is only bringing me to the front/home page.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
This is the emerald shape.

The_Natural_Sapphire_Company--Pink-P568.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
And the cushion. (and wow those are big pictures)

The_Natural_Sapphire_Company--Pink-P2346.jpg

Novel

Brilliant_Rock

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the emerald. But I love emerald cuts. They are co classy.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why I would choose the cushion over the step cut:
1. Colour: the cushion appears to have better saturation (eye popping colour)
2. Depth: the 1 ct cushion faces up decently at 67% while the 1.4 ct EC will look about the same size despite the larger carat weight because of its 82% depth
3. Cut: the cutting on the cushion makes it more likely to appear lively and sparkly.

I do have a puzzler though on the cushion. It stated the clarity as IF/VVS1 but wonder about the “lines” I see here and there, mostly on the left side of the stone. I wonder if those are rutile inclusions or marks from poor polishing.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all the comments (and for looking up the pictures because my link didn''t work)!

I''m don''t think that those lines would bother me...

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
I''m too slow... The cushion is now on hold so I suppose that someone else is buying it. Maybe I''m too undecided as this is my first fine jewellery purchase...

Although I''m still considering that emerald cut, let me know if you have any suggestions as to where to buy a good quality sapphire (I do like the fact that the NSC sources their stones from countries that have strict child labor laws though).

And, I''d still like to know if anyone out there finds emerald-shape rings difficult to keep clean (as I would imagine that the large table gets smudged easily).

Thank you!

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gempassion,

I have a mixed cut sapphire that is shaped like an emerald on top, it does get a little smudgy, but a little liquid dishwashing detergent, a soft toothbrush and warm water does wonders
1.gif

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Great! Thanks for the tip jjdav!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Gempassion,

There are many tales of people posting stones here for the purposes of seeking opinions only to find when they go back to the vendor to try and buy the stone, it has been sold.

Pricescope reaches a huge number of people, not all are above swiping a stone that someone else is interested in.

It would be in your best interests that you place any stone you are interested in on hold with the vendor before posting it on-line.

Good luck with your search.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the information!

I don''t really mind if someone took the stone that I was interested in. I was too slow to make a decision and need some help anyways. I will be smarter about it next time.

I''m just grateful for all the advice,
Best,
Gempassion

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
i personally love cushion cuts =)

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Are the slim pale lines in the above emerald shape gem small windows?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results