shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie gem buyer here..Opinions please..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
D51BADFA-0F15-46D5-84C8-27C6ECFCDE51.jpeg 5BF46948-70F7-4C0B-8DA0-311BDF593E83.jpeg C5DEF384-5EF5-4248-AAF7-FD1A45382ECD.jpeg
205C2C5A-AFD7-4BB2-827C-C43395EB2850.jpeg 63C97A8F-6C69-47CE-9959-DBB6509B9B90.jpeg I have two princess diamonds... .50 carat each..approximately 4.5mm each..VS2 I color..I want to set on either side. I never bought a gem before..I’m wondering how this looks to you. I always wanted a pink Spinel or Tourmaline. What do you guys think? Thank
you!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it -- and I think I like that vendor. I can't quite figure out the cost per ct :lol: but it looks a little spendy. Nice always is, though. Pretty appealing cut and proportions, and a lot less than a comparable pink sapphire. For a ring, it's a little tougher (better) than a tourmaline.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it, but would want to see the hand pic to make sure I knew exactly what tone the color is IRL.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
B6F6270B-916E-4A05-A96F-61D4B8A72F23.jpeg 2DCE2C64-9FE8-4FA6-AAA7-4D95EF602144.jpeg

Do you like this shade of pink? I personally find pink a hard shade to buy and prefer intense pinks but if you like sweet pink shade I think it looks great.

May check if it fluorescences? Burmese pink ones I’ve seen usually do but no harm checking. And perhaps ask for pics in diff lighting?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Depends a little whether you want a ballerina pink colour or a vibrant pink colour

c.f.

2dce2c64-9fe8-4fa6-aaa7-4d95ef602144-jpeg.714857

spinel_332_A.jpg

if you want vivid pink I would not go for the Finwatergems stone. If you want something super sparkly and a very soft pink then I think it looks lovely!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
A credible pastel pink. Lighter pink can be brash & vivid & I would not expect to just stumble on one [eg. in another stone www.]

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you @LilAlex @lovedogs @icy_jade
@AV_ I’m still looking for a certain shade of sky blue in either a straight sided radiant or cushion.i love rounds but it wouldn't work with the princess sides. I don’t want ovals either..They are pretty on everyone but me.
I do like lighter shades which I know isn’t the norm. I think that’s in my favor because the deeper colors are more expensive, right? I’m still undecided but this one is a good contender.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends a little whether you want a ballerina pink colour or a vibrant pink colour

c.f.

2dce2c64-9fe8-4fa6-aaa7-4d95ef602144-jpeg.714857

spinel_332_A.jpg

if you want vivid pink I would not go for the Finwatergems stone. If you want something super sparkly and a very soft pink then I think it looks lovely!
That color is gorgeous!!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes kind of depends what colour you wanted in a spinel. They come in almost all the colours and hues so you get to choose.

The gemfix one is little bit smaller (from memory 2 ct) and either the same price or a little less.

Again sort of depends what you want. They are both good choices for their own reasons.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes kind of depends what colour you wanted in a spinel. They come in almost all the colours and hues so you get to choose.

The gemfix one is little bit smaller (from memory 2 ct) and either the same price or a little less.

Again sort of depends what you want. They are both good choices for their own reasons.
Thank you @qubitasaurus I’m still looking and trying to find a color that I love. I was taken by mrs-b’s pink tourmaline...I even liked that it changed color...but it wouldn’t have worked anyway for this ring. I really need a straight sided stone..but think a cushion could also work.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean

I do not quite expect to find what I know I want off the shelf, the best are surprises...

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Reactions: AV_

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the shape of the 2.89 spinel would work, as they aren’t that curved.
I think you would get two totally different looks on the ring as a whole with setting the girdles of the three stones on the same plane, vs the princess sides being slightly tucked under the center.
The center being n/s or e/w is another variable.
First thought would be this particular stones faceting pattern wouldn’t absolutely clash with a princess, IMO.
But you don’t know until you see, as with the scale of this size next to your stones it’s down to personal preference.
If you can post a picture I can use of your earrings, i’d be more than happy to do some quick mockups to scale the best I can?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the shape of the 2.89 spinel would work, as they aren’t that curved.
I think you would get two totally different looks on the ring as a whole with setting the girdles of the three stones on the same plane, vs the princess sides being slightly tucked under the center.
The center being n/s or e/w is another variable.
First thought would be this particular stones faceting pattern wouldn’t absolutely clash with a princess, IMO.
But you don’t know until you see, as with the scale of this size next to your stones it’s down to personal preference.
If you can post a picture I can use of your earrings, i’d be more than happy to do some quick mockups to scale the best I can?
Thank you @Rfisher..That is so nice of you. I’m all over the place with what to do with the princess earrings. I emailed David with a design for earrings. If he can do that then I won’t go with the ring. It’s bumped to number two now. I’m still considering the ring but wouldn’t want you to go through trouble if David comes through on the earrings. :kiss2:

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
@Mamabean, I'm excited to see what you do with the princess earrings. I'm in the same boat and I'm not in *love* with my princess cut earrings from Costco. I was thinking about setting them with a blue green tourmaline, emerald, or sapphire. Looking forward to seeing your finished product!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean, I'm excited to see what you do with the princess earrings. I'm in the same boat and I'm not in *love* with my princess cut earrings from Costco. I was thinking about setting them with a blue green tourmaline, emerald, or sapphire. Looking forward to seeing your finished product!
I love the sparkle but they’re just too small. I saw a pretty pink spinel but I’m not really a right hand ring person..except for small rings...I don’t wear gems although I love them..I thought of a design for a stud that I would like. I emailed David if it could work..If it does I’m going that direction. I can’t wait to see what you do.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although the colour is not as intense as I would like myself, I do believe it is a very pretty stone.

Personal preference and all that.

DK :))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Although the colour is not as intense as I would like myself, I do believe it is a very pretty stone.

Personal preference and all that.

DK :))
Thank you @dk168 I really love that color and stone..I’ll see what David says about the earrings..:loopy: I can’t do both...sigh

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The spinel is a beautiful bubble gum pink color in a nice size and not easy to find cushion shape. I think most people would assume it was a beautiful pink sapphire when viewing it. When viewing it the question is does it appear to lose color in certain lights. If not- then IMHO it is a fine pink spinel that will look amazing set with diamond side stones.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The spinel is a beautiful bubble gum pink color in a nice size and not easy to find cushion shape. I think most people would assume it was a beautiful pink sapphire when viewing it. When viewing it the question is does it appear to lose color in certain lights. If not- then IMHO it is a fine pink spinel that will look amazing set with diamond side stones.
Thank you @LisaRN I’m waiting for David to
get back to me after my numerous emails changing my mind about what direction I want to take. The more I look at it the more I love it though..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results