shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie first post - Need some diamond advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Benzy

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys/Girls

I am looking at purchasing a diamond fairly shortly and am fairly inexperienced in the whole diamond buying process. I don''t have lots of money to blow (in comparison) but will always prefer quality over quantity (carats).

The diamond I am looking at is a AGS certified "Ice on Fire Hearts and Arrows" in 0.71 carats and has the following characteristics:

Cut: ICE Ideal Hearts and Arrows Brilliant Cut
Colour: E
Clarity: VS2
Table: 54.9%
Total Depth: 62.2%
Dimensions: 5.74*5.70*3.55
Girdle: 1.4% - 4.
Culet: N
Fluorescence: N
Polish: ID
Symmetry: ID
Extra Info: Girdle laser scribed with "ICE H&A" & serial number

The asking price is approximately $4250 US.

Has anyone had any experience with these diamonds or can comment as to this would be a fairly good buy? The diamond is located overseas and I would need to buy sight unseen. The reason I am trying to buy more of a ''name brand'' diamond is an attempt to ensure the sight unseen point doesn''t come back to bite me.

Cheers for any help

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
If I have the right site...they might use attractive language, but seem only to promise AGS or GIA or HRD certification.

Never mind that you neither know the standards for the key advertised point...hearts & arrows...and do we see even the indication of crown & pavilion angles?

For the same price, Brian's options are pretty well proven, and you can shop American. See this...and get 5% off for saying you found it here. Plus, you get crown & pavilion performance, AGS certification (established premier), and generally well acknowledged H&A...vetted here probably thousands but at least hundreds of times.

ETA...oops Skippy beat me to that one...but notice...we both shop alike!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2008 11:51:35 PM
Author: Regular Guy

ETA...oops Skippy beat me to that one...but notice...we both shop alike!
Great minds Ira, I learned from the best
9.gif

Benzy

Rough_Rock
First of all that is the right site you guessed but all diamonds sold come with the AGS/GIA report, a Sarin report, a Diamcalc ray trace model report and the ICE brand Certificate of Authenticity with manufacturers report. Added to this all H&A diamonds come with their own "mini-scope" so that the heart and arrows can be viewed by the buyer and I would say it should be a fairly safe bet.

I have been in touch with that company and have now come up with a more viable (local) diamond option with all crown and pavillion angles advertised. Are you able to give me an idea of what you think this particular gem would be like based of the following characteristics without trying to sell me something from (what seems to be) one of this sites sponsors?

Cut: ICE Ideal Hearts and Arrows Brilliant Cut
Carat: 0.78
Colour: F
Clarity: VS2
Table: 56.00%
Total Depth: 61.8%
Dimensions: 5.91*5.89*3.64
Crown Angle: 34.4
Pavillion Angle: 40.80
Girdle: 1.7 - 4%.
Culet: N
Fluorescence: N
Polish: ID
Symmetry: ID
Extra Info: Girdle laser scribed with "ICE H&A" & serial number

Some constructive input will be most appreciated.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like a good performer from the data you give, a HCA score of 1.2. Should be fine.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to Pricescope,

I can assure you that Skippy and Ira are not trying to sell you something, they are veteran posters here who are not in the trade or affiliated with PS or any of the vendors, they love helping people through the process of buying a diamond, and they do this in their own free time. And they do an incredible job.

Now as to the diamond you have listed, it looks like it could be a very nice diamond, as to whether it qualifies as a true H&A it is difficult to say, I am not familiar with the brand. See what info the sellers can offer you concerning the patterning etc.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2008 3:01:49 AM
Author: Benzy
First of all that is the right site you guessed but all diamonds sold come with the AGS/GIA report, a Sarin report, a Diamcalc ray trace model report and the ICE brand Certificate of Authenticity with manufacturers report. Added to this all H&A diamonds come with their own ''mini-scope'' so that the heart and arrows can be viewed by the buyer and I would say it should be a fairly safe bet.

I have been in touch with that company and have now come up with a more viable (local) diamond option with all crown and pavillion angles advertised. Are you able to give me an idea of what you think this particular gem would be like based of the following characteristics without trying to sell me something from (what seems to be) one of this sites sponsors?

Some constructive input will be most appreciated.
I don''t know about you, but when I am asking people for their help and advice, I try not to insult them and question their sincerity..

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Benzy, keep your shirt on,

First of all...in your original post, you note:

Date: 9/12/2008 11:32:55 PM
Author:Benzy
Hi Guys/Girls

The diamond is located overseas and I would need to buy sight unseen.
...and so from this, I understood you were here in the US, and trying to go overseas, as opposed to working more local.

As to whether WF is a sponsor...that's at best complicated, but at least not giving them the benefit of the doubt. Most of us have become acquainted and friendly with them, yes...but to anyone's best understanding, this relationship has only evolved organically...with them a) indeed providing advertising, but more primarily, with their b) over time getting, and many, buyers, yielding what might have been the anticipated result...c) happy users. Given the expertise you'll also see represented on this board, this sort of vetting is sort of ...well...priceless.

As to your company....a google search brought them up...meaning no vetting whatsoever. From the stats...you...one person has brought up (and I've not done a search on your company, but am a regular reader here, and do not recognize them) and all looks encouraging.

In fact...now rereading your original post...

The diamond I am looking at is a AGS certified ...
...forgetting about the H&A part, which...as I've said...without any background vetting, you can't get the other expertise here as to whether your viewing of hearts can be confirmed by anybody else as your getting and paying for the real deal (and our best appraisers...and if you'd like we can direct you to their threads...will tell you that to pay a premium for that, and get less, is a mistake)...but...since you say your option is AGS certified...you should also tell us if it get 0 for light performance.

On that alone, forgetting the HCA (since 0 for AGS performance trumps HCA anyway) let us (and yourself) know if it gets that. If it does, congratulations, and maybe you'll get hearts, too (we'll never know). If not...shop some more.

Regards,

P.S. edited to add...oops, now I see you've switched horses, and are not looking, in a second option, at your original choice. So...here's more the deal:

a) with AGS certification, and their 0, we can know from their impramatur of the good quality, and it makes us happy, and from many of our points of view...it's probably OK if you don't see it
b) with just reporting of angles, in even the best of circumstances...we here tend to want more visual aided proof, as afforded by IS or ASET photography which see the real deal, independent of reporting, and can reveal its performance.
c) for the added value of H&A, which can be slightly controversial, but no one hardly dislikes it...an expert's view, or extensive vetting, is the best way to know you're getting that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results