shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Diamond Buyer

stxrunner29

Rough_Rock
First, let me say thank you to this general forum. For assisting strangers, and helping newbies like me find the perfect stone. I hope this is my first post of many.

Now to my question. For reasons which I'll leave out, I'm forced to buy a diamond from a specific local jeweler and cannot shop online. The good news is that the selection is good and the employees are helpful. But I'd like to get the opinion of people who aren't directly asking for my money.

My budget is $5k to $6k for the diamond only. The setting will be purchased separately. My hopefully soon to be fiance likes a classic style ring, and wants a round diamond in a channel diamond setting.

I've been offered a diamond with the following. Can anyone help give me advice? Whether this diamond is of good value or whether I should request other characteristics.

GIA certified (I viewed the certificate where I got the following info)
Carat: 1.09
Cut: Triple Excellent (this sounds like marketing)
Color: H
Clarity: SI2
Table: 58
Crown Angle: 34
Depth: 60.6 percent
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good

I've been offered the stone for $5,800.

I can't thank you enough for the help, I'll gladly answer any follow up questions.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you look at the stone? What is the HCA score? You can us the calculator on this site. You want under 2. Sorry I can't check for you now but look it up here and plug in the numbers. Can you see the inclusions? Did you compare it with other stones? Did you like it?

ch382

Rough_Rock
Hiya + Welcome.
Definitely worth investigating.. On paper, those numbers look solid.. HCA score of 1.1. I'd be concerned slightly with the SI2 inclusion. SI2 usually... and take that with a grain of salt, but usually *NOT* eye-clean. Definitely look at the diamond in diff lighting conditions in a setting and as a loose stone and check if you can see anything relating to the cert. If it's all good, than all good :)

stxrunner29

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies!

I was able to view the diamond in person already set. The stone was gorgeous, but as I described below, my hesitancy came to the inclusions (which were minor, but there). I will definitely request to have it viewed as a loose diamond.

Thanks for pointing to me towards the HCA. It's score was listed as 1.1, which is an excellent based on the charts given. My focus is definitely on fire and brilliance, and this helps to marry what my eye saw as well.

I think you pointed out my only concern as well, as, while the stone looks very clean overall, it is not fully 'eye-clean'. You have to get quite close to see any imperfections and they are very minor, but they are there. The color looks great, and if I can get over the inclusions, this stone is bigger than other comparable ones in my price range.

I'll ask to see if I can take the stone in a different lighting condition and see how it will look. Thanks all! Any more advice is helpful!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think about whether you want an si2 for an ering, one that is not eye clean. If you and your intended are ok with that, go for it. I would keep searching for an eye clean Si1. But if size and budget are more important, and you love the stone compared to other stones then that is your choice of course.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask if you can see - at the same time - another GIA triple X stone with better clarity around the same price (prolly smaller) and another GIAXXX wth the same better clarity in the same size as your original (more $). Then you can compare side-by-side-by-side whether carat (size) or clarity or cost is your "c" criteria. The GIAXXX is not a marketing ploy, it assures your stone is cut within certain parameters to give the stone optimum angles for light play. HOWEVER, even with GIA triple X stones, you will want to eliminate those that score higher than 2 on your HCA tool to get best possible performers.

Keep us posted. This is exciting.

stxrunner29

Rough_Rock
Thank you to all for the helpful advice.

Just to update. I ended up purchasing the stone. I was able to go back and see it as a loose diamond under a couple different lighting conditions (was able to take it outside into the natural light).

The diamond was beautiful. I'm an amateur, but the cut appeared to be fantastic in the way it reflected light. Was able to get a lot of sparkle even on a very overcast day.

My concern was that it was an SI2, but the only inclusion I could see with my eye was looking up close in the store's faux LED light environment. There was a small white inclusion off center when viewed from above (not sure what this is called, a feather perhaps?). No black inclusions at all and nothing in the table area. When we went outside as well as looked at it under an incandescent type setting, I looked up close and pretty hard, but couldn't find a thing.

This satisfied me that this would be a great purchase considering the size and cut. Budget was pretty stringent for me, and I know my GF will like the extra size compared to the 0.9 carat stones i was comparing it to (even if it is only a little extra). The 0.9 stones in my price range had better clarity (one was an F color), but not quite as high an HCA score (which was important), and I'm pretty confident my GF will like the size better. Thanks to ringo for the suggestions on comparisons.

The HCA score of 1.1 made me confident of what I was seeing with my eyes and I made the purchase.Can't thank all enough for the help with this. I'm very excited. Now off to plan the proposal (will have to check out that sub-forum here).

P.S. This is the setting I am planning on using:

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-micropave-braided-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/10611

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results