shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Cushion Buyer - please help with some questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lori42

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''m looking to purchase a Cushion cut square diamond. I''ve been trying to research all I can online but still have some questions.

I''m looking at a 2.57 Cushion square modified brilliant stone. The jeweler told me over the phone it was "Ideal" cut, G, VS2, Gia stone. I went to see it and it looked beautiful but the Gia certificate didn''t state a "Cut" rating which he told me was Ideal over the phone. He told me the Polish and Symmetry which were, Very Good and Good made up the cut. I''m confused by this. Is this accurate? Also, he told me when I choose my laser inscription to put on the stone it will get re-certified by Gia with the cut stated on the new certificate? I''m confused again. I''m kinda scared to purchase the stone if the rating is not on the certificate. Also, the price he is asking is $24k. Is that reasonable?

This jeweler is in a nice Los Angeles mall and this is his first retail store but he also sells wholesale to other jewelers he tells me. They are very nice people and say they guarantee in writing if I choose to upgrade the diamond in the future they will give me the price I paid toward the new diamond. Is this a regular practice or scam?

One last question, is it okay for me to ask him to take the diamond to an independent appraiser first if I choose to purchase it?

I would truly appreciate any feedback you could share with me as this would be a huge purchase for me.

Lori

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! I think he is pulling your leg about "ideal cut" because I don''t think GIA grades cushion cut quality. So that right there is a warning sign. The price sounds okay, though, if the stone is really a great one. You need to buy from someone who understands how to pick good cushions, and I''d personally recommend Jon at Good Old Gold. Here is a nice stone as a comparison (and he does give 100% toward trade-in later), but he can source other stones if he knows what you''re looking for:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5420/

Does this jeweler you''re working with have a return policy in writing? If so, you could have the stone independently appraised and then return it if it is not as you expected. If they don''t have a good return policy, then run.

Lori42

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I appreciate your advice and will check with the jeweler regarding his return policy and take your advice on getting it independently appraised.

Thank you! Lori

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The term Ideal Cut can be used loosely by many sellers but is no guarantee of a certain level of cut quality. Also GIA do not grade fancy shapes for cut as DS points out so I don''t think you will see a cut grade on a report for a non round.

If you want to purchase the diamond, get it in writing that the sale is final on it checking out to your satisfaction in ALL aspects with an independant appraiser.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results