shape
carat
color
clarity

newbie considering purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sbpetrok

Rough_Rock
Been reading here for the last month or so. Thanks for all the free education! I feel like an empowered buyer, for sure.

Ideal-scope is on its way in the mail. My intent is to purchase a loose diamond with a very good to ideal cut (by using the HCA tool here) and to verify its light return quality within the "free return" period using the ideal scope.

My general parameters are ~1 carat, H color or better color(unless maybe an I with medium flourescence), SI2 or better clarity. Very Good cut or better is essential - I want a good performer. I''ll sacrifice anything that''s "merely microscopic" necessary to maximize size and minimize cost. With that in mind, I''d really like to stay above .90 carats.

How important is symmetry? Reading the thread at

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/polish-and-symmetry-revisited.2072/

I''m somewhat comforted that one diamond I''m looking at has only "good" symmetry. (Very good polish)

The particulars are:

.92 carat round brilliant
59.4 depth
60 table
13 crown %
43.6 pavilion %
pointed culet
no flourescence

Color G
Clarity SI2

The HCA gives it:

VG light return
EX fire
VG Scintillation
EX spread

and a 1.9 overall rating.

Due to the SI2 clarity, I''ll specifically ask if it''s eye-clean. Any other concerns y''all might have before plunking down $3k on this diamond?

Thanks!

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you're on the right track.
1.gif
It isn't an ideal cut, but it does appear to be well cut - the symmetry might concern me a little, though. You haven't posted the stone's length/width/depth measurements, but I imagine that this diamond will likely face up a little bigger due to the larger table/shallower depth percentage. If an IdealScope image is available, I'd ask for it. If not, and you can live without it (the horrors!) and the stone is eyeclean, I'd say you're good to go.
1.gif

sbpetrok

Rough_Rock
Just for comparison, the same retailer has another diamond of virtually the same specifications (SI2, H color, .91 ct) but scores a 1.1 on the HCA with Excellent return, scint and fire and VG spread. Is that difference worth a $600 premium?

sbpetrok

Rough_Rock
diamond 1 is 6.41 - 6.35 x 3.79mm

diamond 2 is 6.25 - 6.29 x 3.82

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
It's hard to say without more information on the second stone. The HCA is a useful tool, but it's just a guide - anything scoring under 2 is considered to be an excellent stone.

Personally, I'd probably prefer the cheaper G, *if* all things were equal. The difference between 1.9 and 1.1 would likely be pretty negligeable to the naked eye, but my naked eye would prefer the stone with less colour.
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
#1 would appear bigger to your eyes than #2.
1.gif

sbpetrok

Rough_Rock
diamond 2 is

Depth % 60.9
Table % 57
Crown Angle % 34.8
Pavilion Angle % 40.7
Culet 0

What can you learn from these outside of plugging them into the HCA? That's all I know to do with them at this point...

Your help is greatly appreciated!

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
#2 appears to have proportions that are within "ideal" tolerances (as established by AGS.) Not all cuts within ideal parameters are going to be absolutely terrific, though. There are some combinations of crown & pavilion angles that don't work that well together. This stone appears to have a nice crown/pavilion relationship going on.
1.gif

#1 is outside of the ideal realm, but from the information you've provided, it could still be a very nice stone. And it's cheaper. And it's a better colour. And it will appear bigger.
1.gif

In a nutshell, do you want a smaller in diameter, H ideal, or a larger in diameter, G non-ideal?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I guess I'd ask you what kind of look you want your diamond to have.

If you are willing to sacrifice fire to get more brilliance (white flashes) and bigger spread, than the first stone is a good choice.

If you want brilliance AND fire, go with stone #2.

Yes, there's a difference in size, but only when you hold them next to one another. Once it's set, you'd be hard-pressed to note the difference.

If I were choosing between these, I'd pay a bit more and get stone #2. There is no difference to the eye between G and H. I just got an H stone---- it's WHITE! It has proportions just like stone #2, and I can tell you that the FIRE is what makes this stone come alive!

Good luck whatever you decide.

sbpetrok

Rough_Rock
Okay, just wanted to update y'all.

I found a great deal (I believe) over at WhiteFlash. (Thanks Bob!) The diamond I picked splits the difference in price between the two diamonds described above, but it surpasses them both in several categories.

It's a .95, H, SI2, and it's got an HCA of 0.6! Excellent in all categories (LR, Fire, Scint, Spr). It has very good symmetry and very good polish.

Here are the particulars:

Depth: 59.4 (GIA) / 59.6 (Sarin)
Table: 58 (GIA) / 57.7 (Sarin)
Crown Angle: 34.1 (Sarin)
Crown %: 14.2 (Sarin)
Pavilion Angle: 40.4 (Sarin)
Pavilion %: 42.3 (Sarin)
Girdle: Thin-Medium Faceted
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 6.38-6.45 X 3.81 (GIA & Sarin)

I hope she'll be nearly as happy with this diamond as I am with her!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results