shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie buying engagement ring by V-Day

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bc2208

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I will be proposing to my girlfriend of 6 years on Saturday, February 14th of this year, with a ring in my hand. I understand I didn''t leave myself a whole lot of time, and while this was foolish, I''m here now and I have to make the best of it. I was unemployed for 3 months and without an income I couldn''t make this kind of purchase (although I should have been researching). I''ve been waiting on someone to get back to me for a recommendation of a dealer he knows personally, but after a few phone calls I haven''t gotten through and I need to get moving.

That said, I know exactly what I want. I am looking for a Princess Cut diamond in the range of 1 carat, give or take a tenth. My budget is roughly $4,000, so probably something in the H-J, SI1/2 range. I will be happy with something that is eye clean. The setting will look very close to this: setting. As you can see by browsing various forums I''ve picked up on the lingo, but I''ve never looked at a diamond critically in person.

I work in Manhattan. My choices are a) go to the diamond district to buy the ring; b) buy online; c) go to the diamond district to get a feel for what I want and buy online. I would prefer C, but I don''t know the timetable for purchasing a ring, especially when I assume this will be a busy time for dealers.

Please advise. I''ve looked through pricescope for diamond prices and it seems like I could fit my budget, but is it responsible to buy online not having seen it in person? I wish I could use the calculator but as I understand princess cut metrics don''t fit.

Anything you could offer would be MOST appreciated! The timetable for various dealers is the most important question. Also is the diamond district open after 5?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 1:35:55 PM
Author: Chrono
On such a short notice and since you are near the NY diamond district, I highly suggest these 2 PS vendors:

Jon at www.goodoldgold.com (someplace on Long Island)

Mark at www.engagementringsdirect.com (right at the district)

Ditto. Both sell online but also are available (Mark only by appointment) for in person looking too (Good Old Gold has a store). Both will find you a fabulous stone and most likely have time to set it within your timeframe.

You could also check out the Whiteflash ACA line of princesses. With those you will be getting the absolute best cut out there, so it would be easy for you to pick one and get it sent to you by your timeline.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
This is the very best advice--DITTO

Date: 2/2/2009 1:46:27 PM
Author: neatfreak
Date: 2/2/2009 1:35:55 PM

Author: Chrono

On such a short notice and since you are near the NY diamond district, I highly suggest these 2 PS vendors:

Jon at www.goodoldgold.com (someplace on Long Island)

Mark at www.engagementringsdirect.com (right at the district)

Ditto. Both sell online but also are available (Mark only by appointment) for in person looking too (Good Old Gold has a store). Both will find you a fabulous stone and most likely have time to set it within your timeframe.

You could also check out the Whiteflash ACA line of princesses. With those you will be getting the absolute best cut out there, so it would be easy for you to pick one and get it sent to you by your timeline.

bc2208

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I contacted Mark and Barry - and Barry even got back to me already. I will keep you posted as I go along. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2009 2:37:23 PM
Author: bc2208
Thanks for the replies. I contacted Mark and Barry - and Barry even got back to me already. I will keep you posted as I go along. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Glad to help!

gryffindor

Shiny_Rock
I like your determination. She''s a lucky girl. Good luck!!!

bc2208

Rough_Rock
So I''ll be visiting 3-4 dealers this week, I''ve made appointments. Is it courteous/wise to tell them I will be meeting with others before I make a final decision?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 11:30:22 AM
So I''ll be visiting 3-4 dealers this week, I''ve made appointments. Is it courteous/wise to tell them I will be meeting with others before I make a final decision?
Thats up to you but I don''t think you are obliged to if you don''t want to.

bc2208

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who replied and all of the other posts that contributed to my crash course. I did pretty well I think - at the very least my fiancee is ecstatic and loves the ring. I visited four dealers in 5 days about twice each. One I didn''t go back to after the woman showed me pics of her "beautiful" daughter "in case it doesn''t work out." No kidding. I did go see Mark and thought he was great, but I eventually settled on a beautiful 1.14ct/G/SI1 princess from a close friend of a close friend. Set in platinum with 12 small round accents, the price came to $4950. We went to Newport RI and I proposed to her on a cliff overlooking the water at sunset. The ring is beautiful and I''ve been getting tons of complements, so thanks to everyone!!

Trying to post pics but it says "URL from pricescope only." Not sure why that is or what I need to do to post them.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MANY congrats to you!!!

With the pics try resizing them and name the file something unique and don''t use any unusual characters. If you are still having trouble, email the pics to admin and they will post them for you.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Congrats to you! Please come back with hand shots!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 8:27:49 PM

Trying to post pics but it says ''URL from pricescope only.'' Not sure why that is or what I need to do to post them.
Are you trying to post them from another site? If so, you have to save them to your computer, then follow Lorelei''s advice.

bc2208

Rough_Rock
Hey - long overdue pictures. I was looking at the site because a friend of mine is planning to propose soon as well. Luckily I''m experienced enough to point him in the right direction!

Update - we booked our wedding at a really nice ballroom with an outdoor garden gazebo for the ceremony. The date is 6/13/2010!

ring1684651684.jpg

bc2208

Rough_Rock
5 minutes after

ring29845984984.jpg

bc2208

Rough_Rock
in better light

ring348486512266941.jpg

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Congrats. Gorgeous ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results